1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He needs to learn to box out on D. I specifically watched for this during the game and didn't see him put a body on anyone to box them out the entire time.

Shark44, AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He is very young Jaylen Brown like. Probably with a little bit more mass.

roslolian, clos4life and kpdark like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Btw just based on early returns alone I would rate Cam higher than Green. Cam is younger than Jalen but his body right now looks more solid than Green's and Green is 2yrs older. Cam reminds me of Anthony Edward's, Jaylen Brown and Lu Dort, it looks like he can tank hits and keep on going.

GotGame15 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

I would say more Brown than Edwards. Edwards had better handles and ball skills and is just flat out more agile and explosive at the same age as Cam

Jalen Green has Edwards explosion but is faster and has better handles for playmaking possibly

PNR possesion is mostly a primary ball handler/pg possession. Pgs usually run this play the most on their respective team or at least the primary ball handler.

Green is not only the most efficient outside Mitchell who joined the league 3 years older than Green but has significantly more volume than the other two guys who came in at the same age. And since they have similar turnover rates, it means the ball security with that much more navigating screens and sliterhing around defenses dribbling the ball from a pnr possesion shows better handles and higher playmaking potential.

Btw Green's pnr playamking efficiency is higher than our starting pg and with more possessions per game than our starting pg.

And if you think this is very nitpicky... This is 9 possessions per game of the team. This is a aubstantial aspect of Green's game and why his ceiling is higher than Whitmore.

Jaylen Brown for reference had like 1.1 possessions per game on .70 ppp

#804 fchowd0311, Jul 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  5. kpdark

kpdark Member

there's a high chance he grows taller

a 6'8''-6'9'' Jaylen Brown with that tank of a body would be great

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ant Edwards is the only other one.

What I liked to see is that he seems to be showing improvement on the tunnel vision aspect even from game to game.

He’s been ridiculous inside the arc. Over 60% overall, and I think it’s at 75% on 2 point shots in the last 4 games. No one can stop him going to the rim. I think his 3P% will improve with better shot selection too — he looks good out there.

Cam, Amen, and Tari off the bench is going to be havoc.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

With how physically-developed he already is, I wonder if he does have any more growth left. Isn't it usually the skinny, lanky types who add more height? He is young enough to potentially grow a bit taller though, you're right.

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

But that's just 1 side of the ball right? If Person A is 9 on offense and 6 on defense while Person B is 8 on both offense and defense who has the higher ceiling? Cam looks like he can defend anybody 1-3 and even small 4s that's more valuable imo than just playmaking cuz we can have a synergistic effect with FVV, Amen, Tari and Brooks who are all or have the potential to be above average or better defender.

Cams physicality allows him to finish on broken plays and on defense better than Jalen. Green's playmaking was essential before but now we have FVV and Amen on top of Sengun to do the playmaking I don't think it's as necessary now. The volume thing was also remarkable before but now with so many scoring options the focus should be on quality/efficiency rather than quantity.

#808 roslolian, Jul 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    Plowman likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

Is it the default rule that every player who is stronger is a better finisher?

Is he going to be a better finisher than Ja? Green is more explosive, bendable and has more crafty and touch to his lay up package than Whitmore.

Being a better playmaking threat is also very important isn't it? In fact I would say on the market GMs will pay a elite scorer who has decent playamking skills than a really good scorer with no playmaking skills and a good to elite defender.

Can Whitmore needs to play a NBA game before we judge his defense.

10. kpdark

kpdark Member

also have my doubts because of his mass - but still 18 :D

11. fchowd0311

Saying he has the same explosion and effective athleticism(wiggle, acceleration, agility etc) than Ant is saying something man. You understand how elite Ant's first step and explosion is? There is a very good reason why he's drafted number 1 overall.

Ant has what it takes to have elite dribble seperation. Cam is not going to create "elite" seperation.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I just don't see the "Cam Whitmore is a shooting guard" thing. For me, he is clearly a small forward. There's some kind of optical illusion going on where he looks smaller on TV than he actually is IRL. The dude measured at 6'5.75" at the combine. That's legit 6'7" in shoes.

I see him as competing for minutes at the 3 as we go forward.

13. fchowd0311

It's probably because he's pretty thick in a good muscular way obviously.

OremLK likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Built like a linebacker.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think strength does contribute a lot to finishing look at Shaq, Zion, Giannis and Lebron. If you're strong you can bully your way to the basket and either dunk or get fouled. No need for layups when you can just dunk the ball like Cam has been doing. Strength also plays a part on defense cuz when opponents try to drive in the paint you need to take the contact on your chest and not fall down or get injured.

You are right we haven't seen Cam play in a NBA game yet but looking at his play so fare has blown Jalen Green out the water at the same point of his career. Also looking at the mentality and physical attributes of Cam you know he's gonna be a better defender than Green as well.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Probably would have shut down Amen either way. Most of the top picks only play 2-3 games.

tinman likes this.
  17. kpdark

kpdark Member

good thing it's not the Nix kind of thick

18. fchowd0311

Did I say strength is not a factor?

Read my question. I said is a player automatically a better finisher because they are stronger?

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

He should be a 2 if you want to put him in the best possible situation to succeed. It's similar to how Spurs put TD and Wemby at PF even if they are really centers.

He is 6'5.75 with short arms and small hands if you put him at 3 he will be disadvantaged by guys like Tari who is 6'6 with 7'2 wingspan and massive hands and the size to bang with him head on. If you put him in SG the he's up against 6'4 and thin dudes. Like imagine Whitmore vs Scottie Barnes or Whitmore vs Colin Sexton it's just easier for Cam to match vs sgs.

GotGame15 and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  20. fchowd0311

Jalen Green played 1.5 summer league games and they shut him down. He was the number two pick.

And in those 1.5 games he was pretty damn amazing. This is so "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. Or trolling.