1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NBA Draft/1-20] Cam Whitmore, F, Villanova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 22, 2023.

Tags:
?

Do you like the selection of Cam Whitmore?

This poll will close on Jun 21, 2024 at 9:15 PM.
  1. YES

98.0%
  2. NO

2.0%
  1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

No send Jalen Green, NOT Cam Whitmore, to the Gleague or WNBA.

NewAge likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know he's not a SG but it would be interesting to see a 2024-25 no true center lineup of

Amen
    Cam
    Brooks
    Tari
    Jabari

With the tools Cam is showing this is making Jalen look expendable if he doesn't dramatically improve his defense and shooting. There's just a ton of flexibility with this roster now and defense first definitely is the clear direction.

Yung-T and dfbreyes like this.
  3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The coaches need to teach him how to land properly, especially if his knees' long term health was a reason for his stock drop.

1:50 was a terrifying landing.

He already has an NBA body, so all that extra weight will make it even worse on his knees. Fortunately, if his drop was related to his knees, then the coaches and training staff should already be prioritizing on his knee health.

Rocket Freak likes this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I hope Whitmore gets a fair shot at the SG job, but I doubt it. Green will be playing for an extension and there will be major beef with the organization if he’s demoted.

All depends on Green’s effort on D, if he’s again the worst defensive player in the entire NBA, then Stone/Udoka will feel pressure to bench him. I think Green will put-in some effort to get that extension, though. What happens after next season worries me, once he gets his money he may check-out completely with fashion shows, the gay stuff, etc… I get that Ayton vibe and it worries me.

prs325 likes this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Lol

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Dude is a 240 lbs ram truck. Cam can play some d and light up the scoreboard. What a steal!

Moe, Drift Monkey, Plowman and 6 others like this.
  7. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

It is amazing the both Whitmore and Amen are so good at on ball defense and playing passing lanes. Crazy! Their defense is the under appreciated aspect of their games that will allow both to contribute to winning basketball this year.

clos4life, NewAge and BaselineFade like this.
  8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I agree he never came off as selfish. Just inexperienced with passing. Happy from what I've seen because there is a lot to work on with him in a positive way that'll make him more like a top 10 pick from the draft. That shooting stroke is straight butter. He'll make it in the league based on that and his emerging defense alone

9. prs325

prs325 Member

Agreed.
    It will mostly depend on Jalen’s defense and to an extent his offensive efficiency.
    If he’s a turnpike and a chucker in training camp and preseason, he has to be concerned.
    I have great expectations for him though because of his work ethic and willingness to be coached
    Anticipate a massive leap in his 3rd year

NewAge likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm happy to have this pitbull

11. i3artow i3aller

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets once again have too many young players. Is cam going to even get any time next season?

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like this just shows how bad of a talent evaluator New Age is.

Can Whitmore as a player now if he jumped into the starting line up would be the type of player that averages more turnovers than assists. He's a far more raw player than Green was entering the league. And everyone on the team was "one of the worst defenders". To judge defensive ability of any player on this team now is so premature.

glynch likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Better than T Squid, Terrence Jones, You know his name, R Bangbus W.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Royce "they aren't educated" white could have been draymond green before draymond green. memories

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

… says the guy who thinks Green is better than Bane.

Also, yes Whitmore will not fare well if he’s put-in Silas’ BS scheme of trying stuff from the perimeter. But he may be ready to contribute as a finisher, dunking on people and splashing jumpers off of FVV and Sengun feeds.

All I am saying is, coach should have an open mind and do what’s right for the team… But most likely he won’t, he’ll play the guy who needs inflated #s for his extension, that’s my suspicion

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Green is more talented than Bane. Absolutely. Did Bane contribute to winning more last season? Yes that's what being 25 with more experience and having more experienced teammates around you does. I'm pretty sure Bane didn't encounter teammates running him to him while attempting a shot in a half court set because he's surrounded by 19-21 year old headless chickens who get lost off ball all the time.

Again, this is exactly why you are bad at talent evaluation.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

[QUOTE="NewAge, post: 14733670, member: 56256]

All I am saying is, coach should have an open mind and do what’s right for the team… But most likely he won’t, he’ll play the guy who needs inflated #s for his extension, that’s my suspicion[/QUOTE]

"Inflated numbers". Dear Lord man you are just really really pathetic.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Green needs to show true commitment on the Defensive end this next year. He's not Udoka's son like he was to Silas. Udoka will bench his ass in a split second.

That's a big reason Udoka didn't want Harden. No time for BS. Basketball is a two way game. Play both sides or GTFO.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

[Insert literally any Rocket young player last season] needs to show true commitment on the Defensive end this next year. [They are] not Udoka's son like [they were] to Silas. Udoka will bench [their asses] in a split second.