1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It has been a long Time since the Astros have so much Lefty Batters in the Minors

Kenny Lofton
    Steve Finley
    Ken Caminiti Switch Hitter
    Luis Gonzalez
    Bobby Abreu

2. Buck Turgidson

Those guys were not really in the minors at the same time much at all, iirc.

RocketFan007 likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And Finley was never in the Astros minor league system.

Ok maybe a rehab, I'll need to look.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Thoughts from the last week on the farm:

Quincy Hamilton and Kenedy Corona are on the upswing. Both guys are projecting as everyday OF the way they are currently playing, and both could be guys other teams ask about a lot.

We really need to see how Luis Baez would do in A ball over 150+ pa this season. There's really no precedent for what he's doing in the FCL.

Joe Perez is quietly raising his stock. His k rate is now under 30% and he's hitting for more power. On top of that, he's playing more in the corner OF to up his defensive versatility/value. Still thinking he could be a JD Davis level player.

Guys who currently are projecting as everyday players on paper: Drew Gilbert, Colin Barber, Korey Lee, Grae Kessinger, Kenedy Corona, Jacob Melton, Zach Dezenzo. Luis Baez will join this list if/when he gets to A ball and/or gets a bigger sample of dominating the FCL.

Guys who project as quality complimentary/bench players: Joe Perez, Miguel Palma, Shay Whitcomb, Quincy Hamilton, Joey Loperfido, Ryan Clifford, Pedro Leon, Cesar Salazar

It would not surprise me if Pedro Leon ends up being a better major leaguer than he is a minor leaguer.

I haven't been this excited about the complex league talent level in awhile, maybe ever. Overall I am comfortable saying the position player side of the farm is above average. The depth on the pitching side is fine, but they lack high end pitching prospects, although I am pretty high on Arrighetti. All 4 of Whitley, Dubin, Santos, and Solis busting this season was not ideal, especially without any other high ceiling/risk arms breaking out.

My list of prospects I would have off-limits in deadline discussions: Drew Gilbert, Luis Baez, Kenni Gomez, Spencer Arrighetti. I would demand a big return for Colin Barber, Korey Lee, Jacob Melton, Zach Dezenzo, Joey Loperfido, Kenedy Corona, and Ryan Clifford. I would be willing to part with Grae Kessinger, Pedro Leon, Quincy Hamilton, Joe Perez, Shay Whitcomb, Justin Dirden, Will Wagner, Forrest Whitley, Shawn Dubin, and really any other prospects for any meaningful major league value.

#1744 Snake Diggit, Jun 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  5. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Eduardo Perez, the 16 year old "Aaron Judge" went 4 for 5 today, including his first home run as the DSL Astros Blue won 8 to 7. Oswald Mori went 5 innings with no runs, giving up 1 hit, walking 3 and striking out 3. The DSL Astros Orange also won 2 to 1. Esmil Valencia went 2 for 3 with a walk.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

6'4 16 years old

raining threes likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Protect the Prospects, Forget the Astros terrible Team that is on themselves to fix it.

The Star Players should take responsibility over their terrible batting average. Dana Brown and Jim Crane just ignore making changes. Protect the Future Prospects.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

...or pull a 2004 Astros at the all-star break and do what they did to Jimy Williams.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

What does this even mean? If you think struggling players are not keenly aware of their struggles, way moreso than you, I mean c'mon that's silly.

Are you expecting them to stand up in the clubhouse and declare "I suck" [/declare bankruptcy].

.... are you saying those two should ignore making changes or are ignoring making changes?

10. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

I would be all for this. The only Astros manager I might dislike more than Baker is Williams.

IBTL and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I disliked Bo Porter and Terry Collins.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

You mean boo him at home at an All Star Game while Bagwell and Biggio are being introduced?

Horrible chickensh!t dumbass Astro fans, which is par for the course.

astros123 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Eduardo Perez is a terrible broadcaster. I'm not sure I can think of anyone worse.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only 10 teenagers have had 50+ pa in High A for Houston since 2006. Only 5 of them posted a wRC+ >100:

Carlos Correa
    Kyle Tucker
    Domingo Santana
    Jon Singleton
    Ryan Clifford

Clifford has the 2nd highest ISO power metric next to Tucker. His k/bb ratios have him looking more like Santana/Singleton than Tucker/Correa. But he is in elite company.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Camilo Diaz just hit a two-run homer for the DSL Blue team, his second home run of the season.

Astrofan59, Nook and prospecthugger like this.
  16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

then why do you not project him as an everyday player in your analysis a few posts ago?

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He is limited defensively and his k rate in High A gives me pause. Look at how Singleton and Santana played out. Guys who are limited to corner OF/1B/DH really have a lot of pressure on their bat; for them to project as everyday major leaguers, they have to walk a lot, not strike out very much, AND hit for a lot of power. If any one of those 3 things isn’t there, those prospects start to look more like bench bats or enigmatic AAAA guys. He could easily jump up a tier if he gets his k rate in Asheville down to ~22% or less while maintaining his power output.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Raimy Rodriguez allowed a couple of runs in his three innings for the Blue team but he also struck out six. Rodriguez now has 19 strikeouts in his three appearances this season (10 innings).

prospecthugger likes this.
  19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Diaz just struck again with a two-run triple.

Nook, prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Alimber Santa makes BA prospect hot sheet this week along with Arrighetti.
    Santa got rocked early in the year, but he has settled down in June. Still walking too many. If he can get that under control, watch out.
    He has struck out 23 in 14.1 innings this month as a 20 year old in A ball.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.