1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. prospecthugger

In his 5th game in America, Baez is now tied with the likes of Teoscar Hernandez and Enmanuel Valdez for 9th most HRs by an Astros prospect in a GCL/FCL season. The record is 6, with each of those guys playing 40+ games. He would also top the Astros' DSL list, had Gaston not hit 12 during the same season. Simply put, this is an unprecedented power display to start the career of an Astros international signee. Baez certainly benefits from being older and more physical than some of his cohorts, such as Kenni Gomez, but the decision to offer him enough to wait and sign so far looks pretty good.

It was a good day for Astros big bonus signees all around, Alberto Hernandez and Camilo Diaz hit their first HRs of the year today.

2. Buck Turgidson

This goes for just about every farm system, except the few who have multiple star-type prospects.

Nook likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Your life is not that of a professional athlete or involved in professional athletics.

To comparing your life and experiences to an MLB organization isxabsurd and laughable.

Every players that gets signed to a contract is instantly on a timer. By that very nature there is always a window

Right now this team has a "window" until Altuve and Bregman's contracts end and they become FA. They have a window until Tucker and Framber, and others become FA.

The window of competitiveness can be defined different ways and people can have differing opinions of the timeframe for it, but there is no way to deny it is there.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

In other complex-league action that I missed because I was out taking pictures, Camilo Diaz hit his first pro home run for the DSL Orange team.

Diaz received the largest bonus in this year's January 15 (I always keep wanting to type out July) IFA class.

5. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Great post.
    It's like you are in my head

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I never claimed to be an athlete, but I have always been one helluva manager. Altuve and Bregman have a window. Tucker and Framber have windows. They are not the Astros. They are limited by their contracts and their physical limitations. The Astros are only limited by their ability to plan for the end of those contracts and wearing out of those athletes and having ready replacements on hand at the right time. Players come and go. Managers and owners too, but a properly executed business plan need not.[/QUOTE]

7. prospecthugger

The DSL Astros Orange played a very DSL game. The two teams combined for 33 walks, 11 wild pitches, 6 errors, and 4 hit batsmen. The winning pitcher, outfielder Jose Arias, gave up 4 runs in the top of the ninth before German Ramirez walked it off in the bottom half.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

[/QUOTE]
    Which is it?

Before you said you don't believe in windows and compared your life to that of the Astros organization as evidence as to why windows don't exist

Now you are talking about windows?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Both Whitcomb and Hamilton homered again for Sugar Land tonight.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yall should probably be watching the Super Regionals leading up to the CWS, but I know you won't, because it's so much easier to read sh*t that some prospector muppet says on a website.

Nook and Nick like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Which is it?

Before you said you don't believe in windows and compared your life to that of the Astros organization as evidence as to why windows don't exist

Now you are talking about windows?[/QUOTE]
    I was pretty sparky here. I apologize.

We are all just Astros fans with different ideas of what is best.

Go Astros.

12. Buck Turgidson

What are all yall talking about with windows?

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

It's all good. I am a linux guy.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tyler Guilfoil made his first appearance in two weeks for Fayetteville and struck out all four batters he faced.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RP Joe Record has been extremely good for Sugar Land. If you take out his first appearance of the season when he allowed 6er in 0.1 ip, he has allowed 5er in 27ip. His era by month:
    April 2.89
    May 1.32
    June 0.00

Since May 1 he has 23k against 4 bb in 17.2 innings.

He doesn’t throw all that hard (tops out at 95) and I don’t see anything in his pitches that stands out. But that kind of effectiveness in that league projects him to be at least moderately effective in the big leagues.

prospecthugger likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Bring him up and give him a shot. Send Montero down for a "rehab" assignment.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Their window probably should be viewed at least until 2025. Altuve and Bregman's contracts run out after 2024, but Crane will likely reinvest that money into either those two players or similar valued players. Framber and Tucker are FAs after 2025 without a mechanism to keep them unless Crane dramatically increases payroll.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The DSL clubs are playing each other today and Kedaur Trujillo has a three-run homer (2) for the Blue team.

Trujillo, a catcher from Venezuela, hit .379 in 22 games (68 plate appearances) with two homers and 11 RBI last year for the Orange team. He signed on May 9 last year so he was probably one of the last players in the Astros' 2022 IFA class to sign.

Snake Diggit and prospecthugger like this.
  19. prospecthugger

At least one model really likes his slider:

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Thoughts from the last week:

Loperfido's k rate has steadily risen and he's probably going thru a delayed adjustment period. This will go one of 3 ways: 1.) it will either get worse, and he becomes a fringey AAAA bench player, 2.) his k rate will level out in the mid 20's in AA, meaning he's probably still a big leaguer, just one with a much lower ceiling than I was thinking just a few weeks ago, 3.) he adjusts and gets his k rate back under 20% where he still has star level ceiling. Rest of this season will be key for him.

Quincy Hamilton's stock sure is on the rise. Obviously don't want to infer too much from 19 pa in a hitter friendly league, but the promotion in itself was a signal, and with his broad combination of tools, if he can show plus power he establishes potential for an everyday big league role.

Colin Barber is underrated and quietly having a very nice season.

Dezenzo hit the 50 pa threshold in AA with a 16% k rate. That's awesome. Let's see if he hits some adversity like Loperfido did or if he keeps trucking and really starts to see his stock shoot up.

Korey Lee is having an underrated season. That 22% k rate in AAA is very respectable. Still good potential for him to pan out into an everyday C.

Kenedy Corona is having a good month and is looking more and more like a potential everyday player with star upside.

Clifford is adjusting to High A and I am not discouraged at all by his k rate thus far. He could open next season in AA as a 20 year old which would be huge.

Pedro Leon has stopped his stock from dropping so precipitously with his last 2 weeks. I wouldn't say he's in make or break territory but his next 50 pa and the rest of this season will define if there's still hope for his once gigantic ceiling. For now he is still looking like a whiff-prone utility piece.

I don't recall the early returns ever being this good from the complex leagues, both in scouting reports and statlines. This farm is on the upswing, big time.

Logan Cerny's career probably hinges on the outcomes of his next 100 plate appearances.

I now feel like the position player side of this system is above average. But they have a seemingly big hole in terms of high ceiling pitching. Given their track record of pitcher development they deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't find any pitcher I think has a reasonable chance to turn into a ToR SP.

I'm still high on Arrighetti as MoR arm. The AA rotation is still looking strong with Robaina, Kouba, and Gordon all looking like future big leaguers.

Also still high on the 2022 SP draftees. A little bummed after reading Andrew Taylor's writeup in the fangraphs list but overall that is an excellent crop of pitching depth.

Probably the 5 highest ceiling arms entering the season in my eyes were Whitley, Dubin, Jairo Solis, Jaime Melendez, and Alex Santos. They've all pretty much busted, although I still have hope for Solis and Melendez.