1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

IowaAstro, Htown Legend and Joshfast like this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Oof. We said over and over all he needed to do was stay healthy. Guess that was too much to ask.

raining threes likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forrest Whitley I think pointed to his Shoulder.

His delivery, without using his legs, most of his power is overusing his Arm and Shoulder.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Whitaker was placed on the IL today. Frank Perez was called up from the FCL to take his spot on the Fayetteville roster.

Perez, a 21-year-old Cuban, hit .190/.338/.364 with 4 home runs and 17 RBI in 44 games with the FCL Orange team last year.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Marteen

Marteen Member

I was under a rock, because I had no idea Dezenzo got called up. Nice!

Mysteriously, no Drew Gilbert again in the lineup.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That just happened. Dezenzo is entering an extremely big opportunity. If he’s able to replicate anywhere near what he did in Asheville, it’s on.

8. prospecthugger

Dezenzo was tied for 6th in the minors in wRC+ when he was promoted, 90% better than the average hitter. He struck out 11 times in his first 6 games, but had only two multi-strikeout games in the 25 games since, a 15% strikeout rate during that time period. His .494 BABIP was driven by a 30% LD rate and no pop ups. He didn't really elevate the ball much, just a 26% FB%, which is probably why he only hit 4 HRs. He's got the profile of a player who walks quite a bit and hits the ball hard and low. I'm not sure I can think of similar players in the majors.

Its been an interesting change in profile for Dezenzo, who was a pretty prototypical big power with contact concerns prospect. Hopefully he can continue his newfound contact ability while tapping back into the raw power he has. It's a little hard to believe that he fell to the 12th round. Kiley McDaniel listed him and Clifford as players who rose to a 45 this season, which is roughly the tier right below a top 100 prospect. A good showing at AA could put him on the list.

This trade deadline will be interesting. The 2022 draft class has had some standouts early successes. The defending World Series Champion Astros are currently not leading the division, and are unlikely to be in a comfortable lead by the trade deadline, but they almost certainly will be in the playoff picture. The owner led offseason has been a disaster. They have a new GM who wasn't involved in acquiring any of the prospects, although much of the staff is the same. I'm not sure what to expect.

#1448 prospecthugger, May 27, 2023
    Last edited: May 27, 2023
  9. prospecthugger

Some not great swings at fastballs there.

Snake Diggit and Bregatron like this.
  10. Screaming Fist

Gordon has a 3.03 FIP and a 23% K-BB for May. Each of Kouba, Gordon, and Arrighetti have a K-BB of at least 22% in May.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

A generous comparison would be early Yandy Diaz. low angle hard contact, high walk rates, decent K rates. He's just now in year 7 really tapping into the power.

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He is likely to strike out quite a bit more than Yandy Diaz. I am maybe wondering if he can be like Dansby Swanson prior to 2020 with less defense.

With a positive angle adjustment he could be JD Martinez.

prospecthugger likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I wonder if the shift rules might mean a player like Dezenzo is now more viable without having to adjust to hit more balls in air.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. The Juice

The Juice Member

In college he hardly hit the ball on the ground. It's possible whatever changes he made to cut his K rate affected his batted ball profile. Here's the write-up from Tieran's Draft List noting Dezenzo's batted ball data. I bolded the relevant section, but the rest is worth reading. Top 500 Draft Prospects

Wulaw Horn and prospecthugger like this.
  15. Screaming Fist

Maybe Dezenzo is just gonna hit .400 irrespective of the level of play. I wouldn’t mind.

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trade Older Players for Younger Prospects.

RP Josh Fields for LF Yordan Alvarez

CF Myles Straw for C Yainer Diaz and RP Phil Maton

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Didn't Wagner just come back from an injury?

As for Whitley being hurt..

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  20. prospecthugger

He did kind of hit like Yandy after that first week, but I think Yandy's hit tool is probably a grade better. Ultimately, I suspect he'll probably have some strikeout concerns in the majors, but I also suspect he'll tap back into more power. JD Davis who can kinda play 2nd seems like an achievable outcome and a pretty solid player. His breakout has been a welcome occurrence for a system that is pretty thin on infield depth.

Good find. I figured that he would have had to elevate more if he hit 19 HRs in college. It's a little strange that this profile has changed in one of the more flyball friendly home parks in the minors, but it's hard to argue with the results.

Snake Diggit likes this.