1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Right after he was drafted, I am pretty sure it was Gilbert they were talking about. He came to Minute Maid at some point and took batting practice in front of the Astros (maybe others as well) but his exit velocity was off the chart. The draft guys were saying that that showing is what made the Astros want him.

raining threes and Mr Woods like this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

His line drive exit velo was Yordan-esque, his problem in college was the exit velo on high fly balls was mostly absent.

MAstroS likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I have heard some question whether his power will translate and if he will wear down.

raining threes and Mr Woods like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He probably has the fastest bat speed in the Astros system.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This might be impressive if I could see the ball. Or even more impressive if I could HEAR the ball. A well hit ball by Yordan SOUNDS like a cannon.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So far, he (Gilbert) jumped from 1 HR per 30 PA in 21 to 1 HR per 20 PA in 22 across NCAA, RK and A ball. He was not affected by the transition to a wooden bat. He did face his first struggle at A ball in limited appearances (39) with getting hits, but that is to be expected as is his adjustment to it..

Nook likes this.
  8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But he wasn't very good in his stint last April. I hope he figures it out.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Trade him while his value is high!! Learn from the past Astros. o_O

11. awc713

awc713 Member

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If he is actually 11. That is disgusting and def someone to keep an eye on. Already has premier power... at 11.

13. vince

vince Member

I think this could be a real possibility if Kyle Tucker is dreaming of a 300+ million 10+ year contract. And I think after this offseason, Kyle and his agent know that he is due a massive payday when he becomes a free agent.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Seems like we can’t rely on or pencil in Leon for anything until he fixes his K issues. Hopefully we see some improvement this season, but I’m hesitant to just assume he’ll be an answer for an OF slot.

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Caveat - I can't find my glasses so pardon if already posted.

From MLB Pipeline....Astros ranking in MLB executive poll
    Best Draft - Received votes
    International - 1st
    Underrated - 3rd (though didn't receive votes for best farm)
    Develop Pitchers - 3rd (just seems like 3 years ago this board was knocking the pitching development despite having a farm stacked with pitching and Pena)
    Develop Hitters - 2nd
    Develop Sleepers - 2nd
    AL ROY - 2nd (Brown)
    Pitching Prospect - receiving votes (Brown)
    Closer - receiving votes (Brown)
    Best secondary pitch - 3rd (Brown)

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-front-office-selections-best-farm-systems?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Was just coming to post about this. Main takeaway for me was that Brown is probably more valuable than I thought; pretty clear he is viewed as one of the 10 best pitching prospects in baseball which means he’s probably one of the 30 best prospects overall. We have certainly seen a large share of those guys bust (Martes, Whitley, Perez) but if they keep him it sure seems like they wouldn’t waste him in the bullpen or minors, and it’d be such a boon if he could be another ToR SP this year.

another takeaway for me is that Houston’s farm is probably underrated by public prospect/farm lists; my guess would be that front offices around the league probably rate Houston’s system as above average.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros Farm did not receive votes for Best Farm by the executives. I think most executives think the Astros are one of the best at developing talent (probably a toss up with the Dodgers), but that they've been so good at developing talent that most of the elite talent is already in Houston and not still on the farm. The public lists likely underrate the depth of the Astros Farm, but I doubt that is enough to go from bottom of the lists to within the Top 10 (i.e., above average).

I don't see guys that can headline a trade for someone like Murphy and Varsho not counting Brown.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like that the first response on twitter to this email brought up that Baltimore, the Best Farm, also got votes for underrated. When the Astros had absolutley stacked farm systems, I typically think the Astros farm was more underrated than they are now. I think public lists tend to get tired after rating the 20th or so prospect of a great farm system and tend to underrate a great farm's depth with the mentality of no way is X's 21st prospect better than Y's 8th best prospect.

Snake Diggit likes this.