1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/houston-as...ining-report-2023?partnerID=web_article-share

Article about Houston’s farm mentioning OF depth and talking about Colton Gordon, Tyler Whitaker, and Justin Dirden.

One thing I’ve noticed in that article and in some prospect interviews is it looks like one of Houston’s developmental focuses is to have player load earlier to shorten swing time and give them longer to make swing decisions.

I think Houston’s OF and bullpen will be extremely good projecting out even 10 years from now. They need 1-2 star IF to emerge to replace Altuve and Breggy once they reach free agency or retire, and the need for ToR SP never goes away. But overall I think this will be rated as an average farm by the end of this season, which is great considering how good the big league team is.

Super excited to see the minor league rosters next week. AAA technically has their first game of the season on Monday (against the Astros; their regular season starts Friday).

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think you have Whitley in the wrong category.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He didn’t look good in his big league spring appearances. Certainly room for optimism given his history and the tweet from yesterday. But his stock did not go up between 3/1 and 3/21.

4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I know. It’s just my schtick as the Whitley believer/truther. I was heartened by Brown last week saying Whitley looked fine and they were happy with him.

5. Screaming Fist

It looks like they are trying to turn him into Hunter Brown having him focus on the two seamer. I think also saw in an interview where he has also lowered his slot a little.

6. Buck Turgidson

But...aren't you making decisions on ST results?

Except when ST results are not enough results to make a decision?

7. Buck Turgidson

So which is it now?

This happens all the time.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You’re conflating making actual roster decisions with slight changes in my own expectations for a player. And I wouldn’t say players make opening day rosters based solely on spring game performance “all the time”. It may appear that way, but it is far more likely a result of a front office doing a whole analysis of the players in the mix, of which spring game performance is a tiny factor.

travfrancis likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I'm not conflating anything, I'm just messing with you and don't care that much.

When do the real games start?

prospecthugger likes this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Remember hearing about he was another low-arm slot deceptive spinny pitcher, which the Astros seem to be building an army of.

Hopefully he can claw his way to AA soon, it’s hard to tell how good pitchers are outside of the peripherals below that.

12. prospecthugger

Taylor was interesting because he's got the 'invisiball' fastball characteristics kind of like Javier. He was able to dominate in college despite averaging about 90 mph and throwing his fastball about 80% of the time. If he can improve his secondaries and throw harder, he has a really high ceiling. According to the tweet, he appears to be doing just that.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

This is going to be the new buzzword that's actually been a thing for a hundred years, right? Like tipping, and sign stealing, and sticky stuff, and...

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I am anxious to see the minor league rosters too. If Brown likes to push people up as fast as they say my projections will need a lot of adjusting. Rookie league rosters look to be more interesting than usual too. The Florida league teams could be consolidated into one pretty easily.

15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Also gotta remember he was an older sophomore, at age 20, he has a bit more time than most college juniors.
    In his sophomore year, he averaged 90-92 on his fastball, topping out at 94. Two ticks in less than a year is very impressive.

Nook, prospecthugger and No Worries like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The above video showed more of his non-fastball pitches than not. Very impressive.

17. Screaming Fist

Pontes should h
    From what I’ve read 19+ IVB is considered elite at the MLB level. Cole’s IVB for instance is in the mid-19s. So that is incredibly impressive.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sandro Gaston is catching in these clips.

Bregatron likes this.
  19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Another tweet by that same BA guy said Alex Santos was up to 96 today. Good sign for him after his velo was down last season.