1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My pitcher candidates would be Guilfoil, Blubaugh, DeVos, Knorr, Santos, Ullola, and Chaidez. If Santos really has turned a corner then AFL would be a good showcase for him.

For a prediction I’ll go Palma, Cerny, Gonzalez, Chaidez, Santos, and Knorr.

raining threes likes this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I forgot Daniels went last year. Would be fine with Cerny or Melton as the outfielder.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

From the Finishing Strong Department:

Pedro Leon has a 957ops since Aug 1. JJ Matijevic has a 927ops this month.

Since June 1, Aaron Brown has 52.1ip, 10er, 57k, 18bb. Since July 1, Ryan Gusto has 35ip, 7er, 35k, 11bb. Since July 1, Rhett Kouba has 47.2ip, 10er, 42k, 9bb.

Bryan Arias has a 1076 ops since joining Corpus this month. Will Wagner has a 975 ops since Aug 1.

In 16 ip this month, Valente Bellozo has 1.69 era with 16k and 3bb. Luis Angel Rodriguez has 20k in 12.1 ip this month with a 2.92 era. Alex Santos also has 12.1 ip in August with 16k and 4bb.

In 17 innings this month, Jose Fleury has 28k and 4bb.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Some of end of season roster moves:
    Tyler Whitaker was promoted to High A
    Juan Santander was promoted to Fayetteville
    Sandro Gaston was demoted to the FCL

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Asheville started tonight's game down 6-0 after 0.5 innings but came back with a 5-run 9th to walk off with a 10-9 win over Brooklyn. Miguel Palma went 5-6 with an RBI double, an RBI groundout, and a two-run single to win it.

Tommy Sacco (12) and Michael Sandle (7) homered in the 9th to kick off the comeback.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Zach Daniels goes deep again (12):

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Manuel Urias allowed a run on four hits and struck out eight in four innings for Fayetteville. Urias, a minor league Rule 5 pick from the Phillies, is now 4-1 with two saves, 68 strikeouts, and a 4.14 ERA in 23 appearances (4 starts, 54.1 IP) for the Woodpeckers.

#2628 tellitlikeitis, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The Orange team qualified for the Dominican Summer League playoffs and they'll take on the Pirates' Gold team tomorrow morning.

IBTL, No Worries, JeeberD and 2 others like this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Trey Dombroski struck out 11 over 5 perfect innings for Fayetteville.

Brice Matthews (3) and Luis Encarnacion (10) homered for the Woodpeckers.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pleasantly surprised with what Encarnacion has shown this season. Only 20 and held his own in full season ball, showing average power with an acceptable k rate and good defensive versatility. Not a top prospect or anything but certainly put himself on the radar.

Zen Tabak and prospecthugger like this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s very likely played his way into being added to the 40 man roster this fall. Hard to see a team exposing a young 30 HR SS to the Rule 5 draft. Javier Baez with less defensive value is a fair comp for his realistic ceiling. A unicorn outcome would be Teoscar Hernandez’s bat with average SS defense, which is a star player. Most likely he will be a Jack Mayfield level AAAA player.

#2633 Snake Diggit, Aug 23, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    IBTL, AB423 and No Worries like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That was a … Whit-Bomb

15. Nook

Nook Member

He has as much upside as any player on the Astros and that isn’t hyperbole.

He struggled in high school, then in college and still went in round 4 and entered this year at 24 years old in A ball. So I have had some people ask why he is potentially so important.

First, he has more power than anyone affiliated with the Astros outside of Alvarez and Diaz. He can hit homers to all fields and all swings. The ball carries off his bat.

The Astros actually took away a lot of his power and simplified his swing to increase contact rates. Still, he has enough power to spare the changes.

He also is an explosive athlete, capable of stealing 50 bases or more in an era where base stealing is on the cusp of being very important again.

He can play all three spots in the outfield. His jumps are slow but he closes really well.

So why isn’t he a big prospects? Strikeouts - he walks the line, and even with changes to his swing, he strikes out a lot. This year he has 85 strikeouts in 60 games in AA. Yet, he is still hitting 300 with 32 extra base hits in around 250 at bats.

Marteen, IBTL, xcrunner51 and 2 others like this.
  16. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

First I want to say…I have loved the Stros and Rockets my whole life. I remember when this site was created and just the amazing nature of the internet and forums and finding like minded fans. Like anything else the more popular something gets the worse it becomes. I bet that I only see a tenth of the posts in the game threads. But it’s everyone that posts here in the minor league thread that makes this place great. When Lunhow tore it down to the studs and losing 100 games on purpose and we actually had a shitty farm…the real ones were still here loving that tellitlikeitis was actually highlighting everyone in the draft thread for a change

And there is something about believing in a smart guy in charge…Morey was groundbreaking in this. If your franchise is run by someone you think is smart…well you will have years of patience. We believed in Lunhow. Click for his faults seems pretty great if you compare him to other Houston GMs of the last 50 years. Brown everyone seems to like. Crane is pretty good at hiring and this basically means Crane is smart.

Until this year I guess. This Dusty thing…it’s so obvious he is completely out of touch. So I don’t know about Crane now. Old people shouldn’t have the most stressful jobs. I also think Crane has enough HR problematic history that he knows he couldn’t fire a World Series black manager that wanted to come back under any circumstances and Click was collateral damage. At least this is what I want to believe…Crane just believing in Dusty is too depressing to contemplate.

Really what I’m saying is I love this thread and everyone that posts here and ****ing hate the game thread and general negative blowhard fan that dominates not just this forum but the internet.

I seriously can’t believe how often I want to punch people that post in the game threads. I know that the more successful a team gets the worse its fanbase becomes. But almost every fanbase I have hated it’s because they loved their team too much. Our game thread ****tards seem to forget we have been to six straight ALCS.

And Nook…what the hell…sometimes I think you are in the locker room. Does Kevin still know that many guys in the org? I worry I take your word as gospel too much, no offense.

And Wulaw…I know you mean well but you are bordering on BobbytheGreat territory with your beating a deadhorse. You feed the morons by stating the obvious day after day about how idiotic Dusty is. We all know.

PS…I drank my way through the California hurricane. It was really stressful so I apologize for the eulogy nature of this post. The writer strike is real

verse, Marteen, Wulaw Horn and 11 others like this.
  17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'd be elated if he came anywhere close to Baez. He seems like he'd have more staying power than Mayfield, even with all his strikeouts... I would venture to say that a Luis Rengifo track might be his most likely path.

18. HeyBudLetsParty

A few years ago I was convinced @Cyberx was Dayrl Morey, based on his absence from the board these past couple of years I may be correct

Marteen and Zen Tabak like this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

20. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

A guy I've been watching is Logan VanWey, now in Corpus.

He was signed out of a local Pioneer League team up here in Montana so I've been keeping tabs, he's been red-hot out of the pen recently.

21 IP, 31 K, 12 BB, 10 hits allowed, 1.25 ERA

Nook, No Worries and BlindHog like this.