1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This team simply doesn't have the hitting depth it needs
    Pena is a slightly BELOW average bat. Still playable on a good team if there are others that can pick up the slack and he's at the bottom of the lineup.

But his defense is down, and with Maldy, Abreu, and Julks all WAY below average and starting most games, the team is suffering.

Meyers shouldn't be starting every game but is still having the 7th bestoffensive season on the team. He is still much better vs LHP than RHP. Ideally there would be a better hitter vs RHP. Especially when Framber and Brown start so outfield defense isn't as key.

When Framber starts opposing a RHSP, Maldy catches so Diaz can DH, Yordan in LF and Chas in CF.

Hopefully Diaz catches Brown so Meyers will still be the best option, unless Singleton actually hits

raining threes likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Singleton weren’t the pick, Loperfido would have been my choice for 13th position player, assuming they aren’t intent on keeping 3 catchers. Singleton (power lefty bat), Salazar (3rd catcher who hits lefty and doesn’t strike out much and can sub in at 1B/2B if needed), and Loperfido (very good all around player with power and speed who hits lefty and can play 5 positions) are easily the best options for that roster spot imho.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

...and if there is a question on one of those guys, Abreu should be the one looked at first.

That lineup is amazing in theory. In practice, that lineup has been the best Astros starting lineup in an incredibly small sample.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Not disagreeing with you but the reality is that as long as Dusty is the Mgr Maldy is going to be doing the majority of the catching. So you want to get Diaz's bat in the lineup he's either at DH (or possibly at 1B which Dusty doesn't do that much).

So basically Meyers is lower on the pecking order and it starts with is Yordan in LF or is he at DH. If he's in LF then Meyers is NOT in the OF. Like I said Dusty could put him at DH but again it's either him or Diaz.

So since Dusty is hard headed, and he is NOT going to change, where he puts Yordan determines how much playing time Meyers is going to get.

So with this Mgr, and his decision process, there is no way Meyers will be playing everyday. He's just not.

raining threes and juicystream like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I understand that, and I agree with you - and that is why Jeremy Pena's ass hasn't been sent to AAA - but I am talking about line up construction.

Further, I agree with you, if Abreu had an 830 OPS like he did for almost a decade, and Diaz was behind the plate - the Astros would be a top 3-5 offense - but Abreu doesn't have an 830 OPS and Diaz isn't behind the plate --- so in the totality, the Astros are running out there 4 guys that are fairly easy outs.

That is the reality of the situation right now, and explains the offense being so up and down.

We are at a point in the season where we just have to deal with realities, even if we do not like them.

The reality is that Maldonado is the starting catcher, that Abreu is the first baseman - that Bregman is only "okay" and Meyers and Pena don't help the line up.

There are some rays of hope - Bregman, and possibly Abreu are capable of getting very hot for the rest of the season.... maybe Dana Brown forces Baker to play Diaz behind the plate.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Assuming that you can't replace bad players such that 8 players can't change, yes, Meyers and Diaz is the only spot that a decision can be made. That said, the problem is artificial created constraints imposed on reality, and not Meyers. Also, considering that Diaz has been a significantly worse hitter at DH than Meyers at CF, you probably are losing a significant portion of the value Diaz's bat by playing him in the LF instead of having Meyers in CF until Diaz figures out a way to not suffer such a big DH penalty.

I'd probably play Diaz in LF over Meyers in CF if that is the only possible thing that can be fixed. While that is a huge offensive upgrade, it seems to be a lot of hula hoops to jump through to avoid fixing root problems that would help the offense and defense more.

Wulaw Horn and sealclubber1016 like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's extremely frustrating that we have an offensive "problem" that is entirely self imposed. Instead we have to sacrifice significant defense to play a lineup that is still worse.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Completely agree with this as a whole.

However I think that this can be broken down further.

Nothing can really be done about Pena. Neither of his 2 backups, Dubon or Kessinger, are stars with the bat and both better vs LHP than RHP, just like Jeremy so there is no match up that can be exploited by giving him a day off here and there.

That isn't the case at most positions.

Bregman and Diaz are very strong vs RHP (thank goodness) and weak vs LHP. Everyone else on the team is stronger vs LHP.

When Diaz isn't catching it would benefit the lineup to start him at DH, Yordan in LF, and Chas in CF vs RHP as Long as other specifics like the pitcher and field make that advantageous. I would say make sure Maldy's days off are vs RHP but the Astros SP, not other team's determines his starts.

Vs a LHSP Meyers and Chas should both start and Yordan can DH.

Also I would like to see Bregman get an occassional day off vs LHSP. He has not hit them well and Kessinger (small sample size) and Dubon have. At the very least drop him down in the order vs LHSP and move someone like Chas up to take advantage of the matchup.

Nook likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

Meyers is on a 4 WAR full season (600 PA) pace while holding a 99 wRC+. Are 4 WAR guys considered bench players these days?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Screaming Fist

I'm very impressed by his ISO this season in Corpus and went back to see how many other hitters have been able to maintain that great of an ISO over 300+ PA. It turns out since 2015 Loperfido has the second highest ISO for that given sample since at least 2015. Unfortunately, #1 on that list is Dirden lol.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When you absolutely have to start the lord and savior of game calling, yes he is.

Wulaw Horn and Screaming Fist like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

I just wonder how bad Maldy would be if he wasn't so gifted at working with the pitchers and put in so much effort. Would he yield a full extra run/nine innings than Diaz in that scenario? Two full extra runs/nine innings? lmao

raining threes, Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, that strongly appears to be the reality and short of the Astros falling apart (which is possible), I don't think it is going to change.

I understand what you are saying, but it is largely irrelevant if it is artificial of Meyers fault.

Yeah, we are talking about only 100 at bats - there is no way that he continued have a nearly 400 point OPS DH penalty. He DHed in the minors and did not have that type of penalty. It is a sample size issue. Just like he has a far higher OPS at home. They will largely even out.

Diaz should be in the line up everyday and his OPS production is largely improving month by month. His OBP is low, but his slugging is exceptional.

It is a lot of hoops - but that is the reality of the situation for at least this season - unless he some how win the WS and Baker will most likely be back.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

WAR isn't the end all/be all..... but it is an important measure. However to answer your question, yeah when you have McCormick to play center and you have Pena, Maldonado and Abreu - then most likely Meyers is a bench player. If the Astros had Diaz behind the plate and Abreu had even a 750 OPS, then the Astros likely just roll with Meyers and Pena in the 8-9 holes - but unfortunately that isn't the reality.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say it is relevant. Artificial, self-imposed constraints can be fixed. It just takes a leader willing to fix them instead of punt until after the World Series.

Somehow, Chas was in CF for the 9th inning of Game 5 of the World Series last year despite the artificial constraint that had Dubon being played over him mostly in the regular season, Dubon in CF in the 9th inning as a defensive replacement early in the postseason last season with Chas sliding to LF, and Dubon in CF over Chas recently. It is almost like a leader stepped up last year and removed the artificial constraint, but that leader isn't here because not making waves is more important than making the right decisions.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It feels like if scoring runs is the problem the team is trying fix by bringing up Singketon, then once again everything boils down to Maldy.

If Maldy continues to catch 75% of the time then this is not going to change anything unless Dusty is planning on sitting Abreu.

If Maldy is catching, then I can't see how starting Singleton over Diaz at DH will be an improvement.

If the team honestly wants to have the best possible chance to score runs vs RHP:

1) cut Maldy's starts way back and have Diaz catch.

2) Cut Abreu's starts way back and give Singleton starts until/unless he shows he isn't an improvement.

3) Move Pena to the bottom of the order (hitting him 2nd vs LHP is still valid) and move Chas up.

4) Get Diaz into the lineup vs every RHSP. If he isn't catching then DH, LF, or 1B but he should never sit with a righty on the mound.

Lineup vs RHSP

Altuve 2B
    Bregman 3B
    Yordan DH /LF
    Chas CF / LF
    Tucker RF
    Diaz C/DH
    Singleton 1B/DH
    Pena SS / Abreu 1B / Meyers CF
    Maldy C / Pena SS

I don't see any reason for Dubon to ever start vs a RHSP. Meyers should only start if it's a disadvantage for Yordan to play LF (artificial turf, large LF, flyball pitcher, multiple consecutive starts, etc).

Abreu starts if Singleton is DHing because Diaz is catching and Yordan is in LF. Could be best lineup.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Meyers still has a .766 OPS since July 1st vs all pitchers, and .953 vs LHP for the year.

He is notoriously streaky but it would be smart to play him vs LHSP and when he is hot.

18. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW there are now more people in that organization that want Diaz to start, at least against right handers - the problem is that Dusty Baker does not and a lot of the pitchers do not. I wonder though, at what point would they rather have a less experienced game caller with an 850 OPS over the more experiences game caller with a 400 OPS. I'm no expert, but I would think losing 2-1 or 3-2 would get old.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’ll be extremely interesting to see if Baker and Maldy are brought back next season. Those 2 sure do catch a lot of **** from fans. Would be pretty depressing if Houston doesn’t win this year and comes back with a new manager and Maldy retires and they win 110 games and another ring. Will make this season look like a major wasted opportunity.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They will ride or die with Maldy. Hate that reality which is why I was all about signing a catcher in the offseason and overall improving the offense.

It's not a fun team to watch. Gimmie a lineup with 7-8 guys with an OPS north of 800. In 2019 the Astros had 9 guys with an OPS above .800 plus Chirinos was sitting at .790.

Nook and raining threes like this.