1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 1, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Dude had OF skills before he became a lardass 1B.

And married my middle school GF

vince, Nook and Zen Tabak like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He was a 1B first. Only moved to OF because the GOAT had it blocked.

They tried it with Ward also but that didn't turn out as well.

vince and Zen Tabak like this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I thought Reed was going to be awesome. I thought the same once upon a time a pout singleton. Don’t think I was taken in by Wallace or White.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Whatever you say, I'm sure you know better.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I was in fact wring.

Beekman played exclusively in the OF his 1st 2 years in the minors in 97 and 98 before ever playing 1B As a pro

Lesson of shooting my mouth off.

I apologize. 2nd apology on this site today. Not one of my better days.

Have an awesome night gents.

6. prospecthugger

Ryan Gusto went 5IP 2H 1ER 1BB 4K. For the month of July, he's thrown 17 innings with a 1.59 ERA 16 Ks to just 2 BBs.

He got a bigger bonus than Hunter Brown in 2019 out of a Florida Juco, but lost two years to the pandemic and an injury. He got roughed up in his first AA game, but has put together 4 nice outings in a row.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Your middle school girlfriend actually financially traded down marrying Berkman.

Marteen and vince like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hunter Pence trade needs to work with Jon Singleton, Jon owes the Astros especially with large Millions of Dollars contract he got and didn't improve, out of the league came to Milwaukee and then back to Houston.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hunter Pence, Carlos Guillen SS

Roy Oswalt, Johan Santana, Freddy Garcia, Wade Miller, Carlos Hernandez

Roy Oswalt said in a Interview if we kept Johan Santana and Freddy Garcia We would've been Special.

LHP Johan Santana - Rule V

RHP Freddy Garcia, SS Carlos Guillen, LHP John Halama - Randy Johnson Rental

#2109 rockets1995, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    vince and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

We could use some of that in the pen.

prospecthugger likes this.
  11. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The AA Hooks of Corpus Christi become the only full season affiliate of the Astros to achieve a record of .500 by beating the Midland RockHounds.

12. Frank_Duhon

Frank_Duhon Member

What does "Hunter Pence trade needs to work with Jon Singleton" mean?

13. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

He was a 1B at Rice

14. Buck Turgidson

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quincy Hamilton has quietly gotten off to a great start in AAA. Thru 128 pa he has a super low 15.6% k rate against a solid 11.7% bb rate and is hitting for plenty of power (.220 ISO). He’s been unlucky (.217 BABIP) so his performance has been under the radar, but it wouldn’t surprise me if other teams were asking about him and he’s tracking to be a solid 4th OF option.

Jacob Melton’s k rate is down to 21.5%, which to me is probably low enough to warrant a promotion. I assume that is coming after the trade deadline.

I still really like what we’ve seen from Colin Barber this year; his numbers are very comparable to Drew Gilbert’s (they are the same age) and he’s also battled injury challenges so I wouldn’t put Barber too far behind Gilbert in terms of offensive projection; of course Gilbert has significantly more value overall due to the difference in defensive skills.

#2115 Snake Diggit, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Nook and prospecthugger like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The AA rotation is doing pretty well and looking very deep since they added Gusto and Macuare. Add those 2 to Gordon, Kouba, and Robaina and that’s 5 age-appropriate guys getting solid results. I also like what Aaron Brown has done considering his lack of pedigree; 3:1 k:bb ratio and hasn’t been homer-prone. I don’t know anything about his stuff but he may be a sleeper. I think Chaidez, Melendez, and Henley are all still working back from injury so it’s hard to judge their results this season and I have hope they’ll be better in 2024. I also like the Hooks current relief corps, as Taveras, McDonald, Gaither, Cobos, and Sprinkle all have very high k/9 rates.

17. prospecthugger

I hadn't noticed how well Brown has been playing lately. He's given up more than 1 earned run just once over his last 12 games since mid may. Don't know too much about him, but he was a good enough prospect to go to Vanderbilt out of high school. The Astros 2021 draft looks pretty solid after the 4th round.

Longenhagen knocked the Astros for having very little pitching depth, but it has suddenly looked not so bad lately. Hunter Brown and France are in the rotation. Arrighetti is already in AAA, Gordon, Kouba, and Aaron Brown could join him, with none of them needing added to the 40 man until after next season. Gusto and Macuare were well regarded amateurs who have performed at AA so far. Doubt there's a mid rotation starter in the group, but they ought to get one or two guys who can eat some innings in the majors over the next few years.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, I have been saying since last year that Houston’s system has excellent pitching depth, as there are literally dozens of guys with very good odds of being effective BoR SP or BP arms in the big leagues. They just have almost no prospects who project with meaningful odds of becoming the type of SP you feel good about starting a playoff game. This system is probably 2-3 elite pitching prospects away from being one of the 10 best in the league.

19. Screaming Fist

Hilarious that in the PCL you can carry Hamilton's line (12%BB, 16%K, .220 ISO) and have an 87 wRC+.

Also, have a suspicion that the Astros will end up acquiring Lorenzen in a deal that includes this guy:

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Lol while true Snake, a system with 2-3 elite pitching prospects is pretty much a top 10 system anyway.

raining threes likes this.