1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 ALW sprint to the finish.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

The 3 Truths of Western Religion:

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Son of Christ

Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the head of the Christian Church

Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store

Kim, the shark, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my freshman year at Baylor the Episcopal Students Association had a shirt that said: “Jesus came to save you from your sins…not your brain.” :) I grew up in the Episcopal Church, and while I wasn’t a member of that group, I admired the shirt.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's not that straight forward but good for an estimate.

Fangraphs has: 76% make playoffs, 9.3% win division.

Baseball Reference has: 77.8% playoffs and 11.7% division.

If the Astros and Mariners win tonight, the overall plsyoff odds will go down slightly but chances for division go up.

Kim likes this.
  4. MadMax

Nook, Kim, ROCKSS and 1 other person like this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That reminds me of a joke.

(Just in fun no offense to Baptists intended) many groups can be substituted. Here in the North West it's usually Mormons.

Why do you always take two baptists fishing with you? If you just take one he will drink all your beer.

6. Buck Turgidson

Episcopal, really? Huh.

MadMax likes this.
  7. MadMax

My Irish grandfather went to an Episcopal funeral and decided he loved the approach. My grandma (massive Astros fan!) was secretary of Trinity Episcopal in Midtown. That’s where I was baptized. Having said that, all my best friends and my first serious gf were Catholic. I was always comfortable going to Mass with them because it was so much like an Episcopal service. Then I went to Baylor and married a girl who grew up Baptist.

8. Buck Turgidson

I remember asking my Mom (we went to Second Baptist for school) as a kid why we were going to the Methodist Church in Johnson City for holiday service, because i thought we were Lutherans since we're all German?

Protestantism confused the hell out of me as a kid.

MadMax likes this.
  9. MadMax

With respect to how religion divided Irish politics, I was raised to see that very differently than you’d expect from someone going to an Episcopal Church. As you’d expect given my posts here :)

I promise this is really about the Astros, because my Irish grandparents loved them!

10. Radricky

Radricky Member

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Does the Marlins winning effect the Diamondbacks at all?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The bad thing is that we gonna get their best shot tomorrow.

The good news is, even if we lose tomorrow they will clinch and undoubtedly drink until 4 in the morning, celebrate and play a split squad lineup on Sunday Should be easy like playing the royals!

Best news would be if we win tomorrow, Seattle wins again, but the reds lose. Then, diamondbacks clinch and shut it down, we are guaranteed the playoffs and a win wins us the division.

That’s the ideal scenario tomorrow.

I think I wouldn’t pitch JV tomorrow and try to steal a win with France if he’s back. Or Bielak or something like that. That way- if you steal the win you throw Javier Sunday and if you win you get the division. If you lose you have JV and Framber lined up for the WC series with Minnesota.

I bet we go with JV, but I don’t think that’s how I’d do it now that we have 2 chances to win 1 game.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I’d actually do what they’re doing and throw JV. I’d rather have JV facing their A lineup. If the Dbacks clinch tomorrow via losses from other teams then Javier gets to face a bunch of bench players.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah, maybe. But if we lose tomorrow do you really want Javier (even against hung over guys) in a must win Sunday? Because if we lose the rangers clinch the divisions and will lay down for Seattle on Sunday I presume, so I’m pretty much penciling them in especially with their two studs going Saturday and Sunday for Seattle.
    I might just not bother pitching JV at all on Sunday- even if it’s for the division, because if you lose you are still in the playoffs and have JV starting game 1 of the WC round.
    Really, the shame of it is that there is almost 0 chance the rangers win 2 in a row to finish if we lose 2 in a row because they just won’t try. We will have to do it ourselves.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Why? What reason does the DB have to give their best shot? To ensure they play Philly instead of Milwaukee?

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Because they haven’t made the playoffs yet and they won’t have known they clinched at the time our game kicks off. They still have to assume they need to win to get in.

17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The Rangers would have to win tomorrow for this to be accurate.

Regardless, their games no longer have any bearing on the wild card for us. They only impact our division chances. We have to sweep for the division though which is exactly why you pitch JV tomorrow. Hope he gives you length and we win then Sunday you have a short leash on whoever we start.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Gotcha. I didn't realize the Reds can still cause a 4 way tie where Arizona doesn't get in. I thought Arizona was already in. They would be for all the other ties.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

:)

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No- their games still have bearing on the wild card. Theoretically if we lose twice but they near the mariners twice we’d be in the WC without winning again. Don’t think it happens, but that’s the argument.