1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023-24] Media Day and Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Sep 19, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

Tilman making sure the Rockets paychecks go right back to where they came from.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The intelligent investor

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Cross Promoting Grifter should be Ferntits next book title.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. tell that to my fiancé.
    2. tell that to my mom.
    3. tell that to my grandmother.

If you survive those three encounters, please report back to me.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not to mention they just drafted Scoot Henderson.

Jrue ought to net them a good player or at least a couple high picks out of Miami or some team.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm surprised they didn't keep the training camp site a secret in case KPJ decides to drop by.

Dobbizzle and fattz like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

Sadly I don’t know if this is a joke or not. Porter is that guy.

topfive likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

They got Ayton, Scoot, Sharpe, and Simons - I mean all 4 of those guys can be perennial All Stars. Grant and Jrue seem like the perfect people to bring those young guys around. Scoot isn't quite a Lebron/Wemby, but he is nearly a generational talent - you can't punt on player development for too long.

If anything I would at least give Jrue half a season to help the guys along and move him at the trade deadline OR move one of Simmons or Sharpe if you don't think their ceiling is going to be too high - really just see what nets you the most value as an asset....but I don't see the point in delaying development of a young team so you can bring in more young high upside guys when you already have 4 young guys who you can be reasonably good who have earned the minutes....and oh yeah they ALL fit together. Scoot is an excellent PG in the mold of CP3, Ayton is a reliable pick and roll partner, Simmons is a great off ball player, and Sharpe has both cutting and secondary creation skills. Really the biggest problem on that team is they need more consistent defensive effort across the board. If you make your team bad and get another lotto pick - that's useful, but what are the odds that the person you draft is going to be able to wrestle minutes away from the existing PG, SG, SF, and PF you have on your team?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is fine, I was just giving you an answer. Nothing else.

If they can make Ayton into a second LaMarcus Aldridge that is fine as well.

It takes time and they are different types.

#91 daywalker02, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#92 daywalker02, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Can someone explain training camp for me? There are 82 games in a season, many on back to backs and you hardly ever get more than 3 days rest. I can‘t imagin a lot of practice getting done during the seasons in regard to learning plays, patterns etc. I guess there is some film study to prepare for an opponent and also some much needed rest. Thats why I would expect there to be a good month of training camp before the season, to lay the foundation of what you want to do that year.

Why only 3 days of training camp? Am I missing something?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think there is a different interpretation of training camp per se for the media to cover your team and put it out there on social media.

A training camp or training trip as it happens outside of your usual facilities.

Also the exposure of the team in the media spotlight to the outside world coupled with Media Day which serves as an Introduction to the Team members and to the new Season.

Different to the every day practices that happen mostly behind closed doors.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Sure, I'll try to explain.
    You are absolutely correct, HOWEVER:
    • Owners don't sell tickets to training camp and can't make money off of training camp.
    • Players/NBPA don't want to extend their on-the-clock time
    So you end up with this situation...

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In addition the part of the longer training camp that is not just 3 days.....is called common practice.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Media day questions for Stone:

Question #1: do u still think Dashian Nix is a lotto talent?

Question #2: why did you prioritize KPJ’s development over Jalen’s the last 2 yrs?

Question #3: are you calling Brook Lopez a liar?

Question #4: would Harden be a rocket if not for Ime?

Question #5: do you enjoy working with the owner’s son?

Question #6: why did you extend KPJ the same year he pushed John Lucas and drove off at halftime?

#97 Aruba77, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you have the balls.....

Q: Why are you still the GM of the Rockets? How would you analyze your tenure so far.....

They would avoid any questions related to KPJ and say No Comment....

HardenReturns and fattz like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

I don’t think you would get another question after asking any of your questions. I would like to see though. I do think Stone is slick enough to handle himself just not back to back. Here are my questions to add to yours:

Mr. Stone now basically halfway through your self given ten season evaluation is this where you wanted to be? What have you learned both positive and negative?

Mr Stone with historically low performance levels, do you see yourself making it to your self granted ten season evaluation? Why?

HardenReturns and Aruba77 like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If only... media credential sudoku but it would be absolute gold.

I think you'd have to be pretty slick to get a real hardball question in though.

"With the ups and downs of the last 3 years, what lessons did you learn through phase 1 of the rebuild?"

That way he's tattling on himself but the question doesn't necessarily have barbs.

fattz, Aruba77 and ron413 like this.