1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023-24] Media Day and Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Sep 19, 2023.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Professional writer.

Nook likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

WRONG - needs to be more like a mentor and professor to the young guys. FVV's priority is to show Amen and Jalen how to run a team and his play for us just needs to be about demonstrating what mistake free basketball looks like. He doesn't have to be Steph Curry because in reality FVV is likely no longer a Rocket after a year or two - but hopefully we will have some younger guys leading the charge moving forward by the time FVV leaves.

topfive, CHAMPBOY, Rashmon and 2 others like this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Being a professional. Production and Mentoring. Then use that contract, along with picks/player for a star (maybe even a superstar)

topfive likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for preseason just to see Amen play. I never pay much attention to preseason, but I’m jonesing for more Amen. Summer league was such a tease.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Are you sure....only in recent years Fred turned more into a PG, he was mostly playing like an undersized shooting guard for years.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That dedication to his craft that allowed him to make it to the league with less physical tools than most players and evolve his game to be an important contributor on a title winning team is EXACTLY what we are looking for.

We have the guys born with the type of talent to make them elite - but none of them have been able to demonstrate what FVV has. If he had the body and athleticism of Amen, he could have been a frequent all nba player. We are paying him a lot of money in the hope that his soft skills in leadership, preparation, and effort rub off on far more talented players than him.

It might not work by the way - but I think it’s a smart risk and certainly a much better option than putting similarly talented but immature knucklehead like KPJ around them who I’m on record wishing they had traded last year.

Rashmon likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he will get traded or not get guaranteed after Year 2 or 3.

I am not putting much stock into that, people start declining after hitting 30, that is nature.....which is fine with me.

They overrated him because he won a championship as a 7th man.

Jrue is one of the only players that still maintains his level at 33.

Jrue is at least 15 spots ahead of FVV.

Btw just wanting to throw out a real PG out there.

#67 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You guys just overrate him too much. He is a nice player but that is about it.

You all do the same with Brooks.

A jack of all trades and master of not much type.

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I thought I was pretty clear this was NOT about FVV as a player - I think he is a role player in talent who has a lot of the soft skills better players need to be successful in the NBA - that's what has allowed him to have a ring and be an all star despite a lack of talent - essentially it has allowed him to perform beyond his skill level. We aren't trying to make our players play like FVV though - we want them to have a similar approach to being a professional. The hope is their ceiling would be MUCH higher than his.

There is nuance to what FVV offers as a player and teammate - if you aren't willing to understand the nuance and how those things can help more talented players, then I guess you can place me in the same box you place all the other things you don't understand as "you all". It says way more about you then it does about me to be honest.

"You all"....smh....

topfive, CHAMPBOY and Rashmon like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I understand what you mean but you do still overrate him as a teacher or teammate.

I already did give him credit for his immense work ethic.

He is a good player again but he could not teach the younger guys in Toronto. They were not listening to him.

Ime Udoka is a better teacher than FVV and Brooks, they are just an extension of him.

You do not understand the inner mechanics. The real asset is Ime and his staff.

Of course he can be better than all what the Rockets had because there was no player like Kawhi or Jrue teaching them......

If you want to project Chris Paul onto FVV, that is your thing but he is not CP3.

I mean how head strong can you be....we just disagree.

#70 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2023
    glimmertwins likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'll say there is a lot nuance in my take - it's certainly not the canned "you all" take from other shitposters here so don't even try to put your strawman arguments in my mouth(btw - I'm not going to let you live that one down for calling me that - haha)...but I do hear you and agree with some of your sentiments. I wouldn't say FVV would be my first choice to pay that much money and seek out to mentor our guys - but I do believe he was the best of what seemed reasonably "gettable". I completely agree on the value of guys like Jrue, CP3, etc - circumstances just didn't allow us to get that type of alignment(the right vet to mentor similar styles of players) but I'm also very critical of the front office thinking guys like Silas, KPJ, or even the distraction formerly known as John Wall wouldn't be corrosive to our young guys(even though they help us get more lotto picks). I'm just praying that this sudden prioritization of culture building doesn't stagnate because we let losing permeate these young guys too long and we become the new Sacramento Kings of 'lost cause' culture.

I also agree that Ime is undoubtedly the best offseason culture builder we picked up. We have had arguably the last person you would want to build a culture(too soft spoken) AND the last person you would want to coach a team to success the last several years(too inexperienced - too few tools in his coaching bag yet) so I completely agree that Ime is going to have a huge impact next year because frankly it would be hard for him to be worse than Silas. I actually think Uduka is maybe a bit overrated as a coach and culture builder because of his unexpected success with Boston but I still think he is miles better than Silas and probably better than most of the other options available to us at the time - even better than Nick Nurse I think because while Nurse is a great coach, but I don't think he is a culture setter and we need BOTH since we have lacked the type of vets or stars who can bring that culture until this year.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard the podcast this AM and it's really pure speculation from Lowe and Marks tossing around players, not reporting the way the tweet phrases it, and further they ulimately decide it's too much for the Pacers to offer.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Usually if you have half the league chasing player news it is probably just 2-3 serious about it.

But it is good to know that Jrue is the Kingsmaker.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not call you names, if that is what you implied, adjectives maybe but most of us are stubborn.

I already said we got 90 million or something and we spent it on B+ tutors and not A+ stars which is fine but I am not deluding myself over them.

I am not a hype guy.

There is not much nuanced in that his help is not worth 40 millions and he will be here most likely 2 years.

He would help but not to the massive amount folks expected him to.

Most likely they would run a half court system instead of all the running and gunning transition and uncontrolled ish they ran last 3 years.

I am not really interested in arguing with you and you calling for strawman arguments, it is just not something I believe in. Your socalled 'nuances'.......which is just your personal pot of gold.

FVV and Brooks is also not something I approved of but rather just went along.

#76 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2023
    DaDakota likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

We gave him 40 million because we had to (over)pay someone to make the cap floor - this is directly a consequence of having way more rookies on the roster than most teams. In this case we spent big on him and Brooks so we wouldn't have to sign more players which could complicate our already crowded minutes availability for the young guys. If they didn't overpay for FVV, they would have had to sign another few players and thus say goodbye to even more of the young guys beyond JC, KMJ, Garuba, and TyTy.

...and spare me the lecture on how you aren't interested in arguing yet posts multiple times a day in the same drama filled KPJ thread despite little new to talk about for some time over there.

19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The irony is - why wouldn't Portland want Jrue teaching their young new PG of the future? It seems like Jrue is the perfect mentor for Scoot.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are going to tank the next 2 years or 3 just like the Rockets to get a Number 2.

Or half tanking - the thing Utah Jazz did.....

I suppose Shaedon Sharpe is a Number 3 kind of guy but you could also draft another Number 3.

Jrue is costing too much and can already bring tons of picks.

Rokman likes this.