1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023-24] Media Day and Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Missed Media Day. Did we win?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mindset permeating Rockets: 'The rebuild is over'

The scar tissue was still there, the pain of losing still evident, even amid the hopeful, confident mood of a media day. But now, with the Rockets fortified with veterans and determined to move to rebuilding’s next steps, there was a sense that the tough times served a purpose for those who made it through.

Jae’Sean Tate, the only Rockets player who has been with the team through the often disheartening, sometimes agonizing three seasons of losing, immediately pointed to the change in expectations.

“I think,” he said, “the rebuild it over.”

There are relatively few players left from the Rockets' three-year stretch with the NBA’s worst record. With Kevin Porter Jr. not expected to ever rejoin the team following his arrest on assault charges in New York, the next most tenured Rockets are Jalen Green and Alperen Şengun, who are entering just their third season and are both just 21 years old.

As much as the annual media day proceedings Monday brought the customary renewed optimism, with the Rockets and their much-discussed “Phase 2” determination to climb back to competitiveness and eventual contention, there was an urgency different from past seasons and from more accomplished teams.

“This is a whole new team, a new era of Rockets basketball,” Tate said. “I think hunger is the right word to prove ourselves right.”

The word “hunger” was repeated often. It was cited not just by returning players but as the first impression of veterans who have joined them in part with a leap of faith that better times are ahead.

“We have some young guys who are tired of losing,” said Jeff Green, a 37-year-old veteran of 15 NBA seasons. “They’re tired of how things have been. Jalen … wants to change the headlines about who they are. They want to change the headlines about who they are. They want to win games. So I see the hunger of wanting to be better. They’re hungry to win and win now.”

There was some of the familiar October happy talk, but generally there was more seriousness about the goals, ambiguous as they are.

Ime Udoka would not place specific goals on his first season as Rockets coach, saying he wanted the team to look “visually different” than in past seasons, though he described a determination to make significant strides defensively, where Houston ranked 29th in the NBA last season.

Veterans Dillon Brooks, Fred VanVleet, Jock Landale and Green should help immediately with that. But as much as their proven abilities should raise the Rockets’ floor, the ceiling remains heavily tied to the development of the players drafted during the rebuild: Green, Sengun, Jabari Smith Jr., Tari Eason, Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore.

“Internal growth is going to be the biggest step for us,” Udoka said. “The guys that have been here and have gone through the rough times, we need to see growth and improvement from them.

“Guys being held to a different standard, to play a certain way, you’ll see that rapid improvement. When you add certain guys to the roster, things can change quickly. And so for us, it’s about being ultra-competitive, playing a different way, and making some noise every night.”

General manager Rafael Stone said he has seen signs of growth through summer workouts. He said that was to be expected after drafting players who are so young, with Sengun, Smith, 20, and Whitmore, 19, each among the youngest players of his draft class. But after accepting losses as an inevitable part of compiling a rotation entirely filled with inexperienced players, Stone said it is time to grow up.

“I do think we’re in a different phase, and the expectations we have for this group are markedly different than the expectations of the past couple of years,” he said. “I think we should be more organized and more competitive. And I think all summer, the indications are we will be.”

Reaching the playoffs, or even the play-in tournament, would require a significant leap for a team that won 22 games last season. Jeff Green, coming off a championship season with the Nuggets, said he thinks the Rockets "have what it takes to be in the playoffs with the young guys that we have.” VanVleet would not specify the expectations he has discussed with his new teammates, though he said he will always “aim high.”

“The goal is to get this franchise back to where it’s supposed to be and where it has been,” VanVleet said. “There’s a rich tradition here. Felt like (the Rockets) were supposed to be in the Finals and win a championship a couple years ago. Ultimately, the goal is to get us back to the playoffs and competitive, building toward winning the championship.”

That sort of optimism is a media day tradition and to be expected from a free agent with a new max contract. Brooks, who signed a four-year, $86 million contract with the Rockets, added, “I love the crew. I think the desire is there from one through the whole organization.”

Still, it was telling that the impact of “rough times” was most often cited not by the players who went through them, but by the new players seeing the determination in the young players they have joined.

“My first two years didn’t go well,” Şengün said, “but this year we’re hungry to win.”

Said Jalen Green, “This year is the year to turn it around.”

glimmertwins and i3artow i3aller like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We killed it. We didn't look like the 76ers train wreck.

Media Day Championshirts please @J.R. @Salvy

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Breh you are killing me with that Jimmy Emo avatar lol

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...maybe - he's definitely in that Tiger King/Carol Baskins wild animal park scene,

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Did Stone say which of these is Kevin Porter Jr?

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Why did they cut the top of his picture off?

upload_2023-10-2_20-28-14.png

theDude likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All we do is win.

We coming for that training camp championship too. 5 chips in one season is unheard of.

i3artow i3aller, J.R. and Salvy like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here’s Bobby Marks’ Training Camp Review for the Rockets … behind a paywall

Full Rockets segment

Houston Rockets[/paste:font][​IMG]
    Guaranteed contracts: 12
    Partial/Non: 2
    Exhibit 10: 3
    Two-way: 3

What to Watch: Kevin Porter Jr.

Porter was arrested in early September on charges of assault and strangulation after an incident at a New York hotel.

Because the NBA's investigation is ongoing and Porter has not been found guilty or taken a plea deal, the Rockets can tell the guard to stay home until there is a resolution.

Under the terms of the league's domestic violence policy, commissioner Adam Silver also has the power to place Porter on administrative leave with pay for "a reasonable period of time." Based on the findings of the case, the commissioner can fine, suspend, dismiss or disqualify from any further association with the league and its teams a player who violates the domestic violence policy.

The Rockets could elect to waive Porter and incur the $15.9 million he is owed this season and $1 million next year. His guarantee for next season increases to $3 million if he is on the team's roster the first game of the regular season in October. If Porter is waived, the Rockets would be responsible for the full $16.9 million owed to him, even if the NBA later determines that he violated its domestic violence policy.

The NBA could still suspend Porter even if he is a free agent, and the suspension would start when he signs with a new team.

The Rockets could keep Porter on the roster and transfer him to the suspended list after the fifth game of the suspension. Porter would be fined $144,182 for every game missed with Houston recouping 50% of the deducted salary. The Rockets would also be allowed to sign a replacement player even if they are at the league-maximum 15 players. After the suspension is served, Houston could waive Porter or look to trade him.

There are no rules preventing the Rockets from trading Porter during the league investigation or even if the NBA suspends him. They have seven first-round picks and eight second-round picks over the next seven years they could use to facilitate trading him. The acquiring team also would be responsible for the guaranteed salary owed to Porter.

Mathloom, Nook and YOLO like this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Would the pre-season championship also be too much to ask for?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, but what's the deal with Jermaine Stewart in your avatar/profile pic?

i3artow i3aller and J.R. like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

If stuff goes down in the locker room or practice court like it did last year - you want a 7’5” 400 lbs alien troll to restore order. Sorry but no one is going to stop him once he goes beserker.

Rashmon, bmelo, Losmi_34 and 3 others like this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We were happy

16. Dredd

Dredd Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

If stuff goes down in the locker room or practice court like it did last year - you want a 7’5” 400 lbs alien troll to restore order. Sorry but no one is going to stop him once he goes beserker.
    Outside of our head coach, we have to be one of the ugliest teams in the league. Half these mofo’s look like they are homeless outside of a truck stop. The other half look like creepy truck drivers.

TimDuncanDonaut and J.R. like this.
  18. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

we got new jerseys?!

19. i3artow i3aller

20. i3artow i3aller