1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022: Work-Out Thread - What you Lift Bro?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Keep Pushing

Rocket River

2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Squats and deadlifts really are fully body workouts. Obviously taxing on the legs but it takes a great deal of overall strength and stability to keep the weight steady.

I do 250 on squats and deadlifts, I know I can do more but being alone in the garage and using free weights gives me pause. I use a 40lb weight vest and add about 210 to the bar. Same for bench press, I think the most I've ever done is 240 but I'm doing about 185 right now because I want to be able to get 5 good reps in and not feel like it's a life-or-death situation to get the bar on the rack.

dmoneybangbang and Xerobull like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Oh for sure. I whole heartedly believe squats are the single best exercise you can do and there's no need to try and go heavy on the weights.

I stuck with strong lift 5X5 for awhile and it's intense. I've never tried to max out, I've always stuck with a 5X5 structure for squats and pretty much every other exercise I've done. I peaked at 210 on squats, which was my body weight/goal and just got burned out.

I still do squats, but do more push ups and pull ups. Truthfully spend more time in the sauna than lifting weights.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm also around 210-215 depending on the time of day now. If you were going for the no-frills workout pull-ups probably make the short list too.

Starting 5 for working out:
    Burpees
    Squats
    Pullups
    Bench Press
    Plank?

Xerobull and dmoneybangbang like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Never really thought much about it before but I've upped my intake of eggs...mostly just steam cooked in an egg cooker. I didn't realize eggs could be such a big factor in building muscle. I've understood that eggs are a great source of protein and amino acids. After looking closer at some studies, it's clear that eating eggs daily or near-daily are beneficial to building muscle and recovery compared to those who didn't. I'm not big on protein powders and I've been lifting mainly for toning (but also some muscle growth). I do mix in heavy weight low rep days into my workouts instead of just doing high rep lower weight sets. The impact to muscle building by consuming eggs compared to those who don't is apparent. Those who consumed eggs as part of their diet and weight lifting routine added much more muscle than those who didn't. That said...whether you consume the yolk or not is up to you. Egg whites (the protein part) were shown to be beneficial to post-workout recovery and spurning more muscle growth but not as much as whole eggs. Whole eggs appear to be the way to go if you are a weight lifter as it spurred a 40% greater post-workout muscle building response than just consuming the egg whites. So, I'm doing a 2 - 3 egg a day thing now to compliment my weight-lifting. I'm also adding a daily dose of creatine. I'm not doing whey, though, at the moment. My goal is to build/keep muscle and tone and to remain in shape.

Does anyone here have an egg regimen they follow with their work-out program?

Whole eggs better for muscle building and repair than egg whites -- ScienceDaily

#145 Surfguy, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    Xerobull and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not on a heavy weight program right now. Just consistent exercise and maintenance.
    But every day for the last 2 years I eat 3 eggs, 1/2 an avocado, a banana and some grapes for breakfast.
    From not really eating breakfast at all to that, I feel different. More energy and can see the difference in my build from eating healthier in the mornings.

7. Surfguy

Double post - see post below.

#147 Surfguy, Apr 1, 2023
  8. Surfguy

I've started eating eggs at various times (e.g. I put two in my gravy last night) or for breakfast but it appears I should be consuming them after my weight lifting session instead. I'm sure consuming eggs daily is still the way to go even if not lifting weights. Older folks need to be more worried about Sarcopenia (aga-related muscle loss) so they should be consuming eggs and creatine imo even if just sitting on their duffs all day long. It appears it's been proven that creatine consumption translates into muscle retention counteracting some of the effects of Sarcopenia even if not working out.

Also, for those of you who still have parents out there that are starting to get up there in years, the biggest thing you need to keep in mind for them is them being adequately hydrated. I would find an electrolyte-hydration mix that they can mix with water. Chances are really high they are not getting enough water to stay properly hydrated. And, that causes health problems. I know first hand.

#148 Surfguy, Apr 1, 2023
    FrontRunner, cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome discussion on eggs. I eat 4 a day + veggies for breakfast. I’m curious on the when. I can eat more.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Surfguy

I eat Eggland's Best albeit it might not be the best. You?

I'd prefer my chickens be able to run around (free range or free prairie or whatever) but I dunno how much more that costs (probably double). lol

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Another cool thing I found was related to push-ups.

If You Can Do This Many Pushups in a Row, Harvard Scientists Say Your Risk of Heart Attack Is Over 30 Times Less | Inc.com

At this moment, I can only do 30 push-ups in a row. Well...that's after a weight-lifting session. I think I could do ten more if I had to after a rest day or two. lol

If you held a gun to my head and said do 40 push-ups in a row or your life is over, then I could do it. ;)

Push-ups hurt bad toward the end of that. Screw you, push-ups!

My Grandpa used to do 100 push-ups a day for a long time. He lived to 93. But, he was also a WWII POW for almost 4 years surviving on a bowl of water-rice a day. He was a stick when he came out of that. I think that lack of food strangely made him live longer. Well...eat less...live longer. Well known.

#151 Surfguy, Apr 1, 2023
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Free range organic from Sam’s. $3/doz

cmoak1982 and Surfguy like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We use the Central Market from H‑E‑B pasture raised eggs. Not sure how good they are, but they’re better than plain old white eggs.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not sure what my max is, but every morning I do 50 pushups, 50 sit-ups, 50 trunk lifts and 2 min plank hold.
    Gets my shoulders loose, getting old sucks

FrontRunner, Surfguy and Xerobull like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I might need to go to Sam’s, $3 a dozen is great.

Surfguy likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I want to add pull-ups to my morning routine before I go to gym but wife won’t let me hang a bar in the house.
    Pull-ups are a weak spot for me

17. Surfguy

Dr. Berg and others say my beef should come only from grass-fed beef as it has the Omega-3s and less of the Omega-6s. My wallet says otherwise. I made a pot roast the other day. I don't recall seeing an organic grass-fed cut of beef for that. I guess I have to go to H-E-B for that? I bet it's expensive as f**k.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Might want to consider buying direct, can get grass fed beef from somewhat local places.

Whole cow though

Surfguy likes this.
  19. Surfguy

Oh God. I've been watching videos on proper pull-up form a lot lately. I'm about to break out my pull-up bar and start with 'how long can I' hangs. I'm hoping I can do the 3 minutes. The pull-ups...umm...no comment. The guy said should have your grip just outside shoulder width and pull in and up at the same time as you pull yourself up. And, to lift toward your chest versus trying to pull your chin over the bar. And, have an arch with your legs straight. I can't wait to try this. LOL

Xerobull and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that’s proper form for sure.
    When I’m training my athletes we do different versions depending on which muscle group and skill we’re trying to achieve.
    My dead hang is solid, I’ve torn my bicep a couple times spotting. So it genuinely hurts pulling