1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022: Work-Out Thread - What you Lift Bro?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Feb 24, 2022.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My gym has one of these and I just recently figured out how to use it. Been hitting it hard for a few weeks now with the goal of again doing 10 unassisted pull-ups sometime before I die. Being fat and old, I'm not close to that goal yet--but I am improving/using less offset weight.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Speaking of working out, I just made the most fattening f-ing cookies. lol. They are cinnamon white chocolate chip marshmallow cookies.

“They”re terrific!”
    [​IMG]

Must keep up the treadmill work.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

5’8” Working out about 4x times a week since July. Started off about 135 now around 150. Goal is to gain another 15 before 12 months. I’ve been doing 3 sets of 10 reps mainly on machines chest press, high rows, mid rows, biceps curl, etc. Slowly adding weight on all machines throughout this process and seeing increases in strength and mass.

Thinking of switching to fewer reps and increase the weight. Also worried about including cardio that will cause me to lose muscle mass. Also need to increase calories though it’s not easy to force yourself to eat more. Currently drink a large protein shake after workouts.

Any advice is helpful.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Personal preference note: I utterly despise this machine.

To progress toward pullups, I recommend using the lat pulldown machine. Do NOT use a wide grip. Use a grip that equals shoulder width (or just barely more). Focus on pulling your elbows down to your side instead of pulling the bar down with your hands (think of your hands only as meat hooks), bring the bar down to your chest.

Go to a full stretch position at the top. This is very important for fully activating your lats.

Start at a weight you can do 8 times to failure on the first set. When you get to 10, add 5-10 lbs. Eventually you'll approach you actual body weight and can switch to pullups, which is an awesome full-body exercise with several variations.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The high weight, 5-10 rep range has worked best for me.

Being a small guy wanting to put on weight makes you the envy of most of us.
    "It’s not easy to force yourself to eat more" GRRR!!!

You should definitely do cardio 2-3x/week on non-lifting days.

How do you train legs?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

How many sets do you do for the 5-10 reps?

For legs I do seated leg press, leg curls, leg extension, hip abduction, and glute machines. Definitely noticed larger legs and glute.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Good news! Over the next 15 years, your problem will go away.

(Keep doing aerobics. You can do that your whole life and as you get older, it keeps your ankles, knees, and hips lubed up through use as well helping control weight. You can lift for looks now, but lift for maintenance, flexibility, and bone density later--you start losing bone density at around age 40. The long-term goal is to stay active with decent strength, flexibility, and no broken hips at least until your 80s. Good to see you're not waiting until you're retired to start.)

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I only do two sets but I go to RIR 0 (which some people believe is the same as failure). As a result, I do fail every now and then. The 3rd set has very diminished returns when the first two are intense.

Be careful with the hip abduction machine.

9. Surfguy

I've been going hard for 13 months on training. I just did 9 unassisted pull-ups as my max. I weigh around 200, too, so...not easy. So, you kind of want to get to where I am. You have a lot of hard work ahead of you. ;)

Two Sandwiches and Xerobull like this.
  10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Had lunch with old college buddies today who once again reiterated their desire to get me to lift heavy things. Yawnnnnnn

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

In 2017 I found Yoga and started living mindfully. I dropped from #333 to #211 in about a year. I kept it all off until I let Covid screw up my routine and diet. I have an eating addiction, once I start I can't stop. I ate until I was back up to #320. This past April 1 I rededicated myself to my health. I teach yoga twice a week, practice yoga everyday, swim 3/4 - 1 mile a day 6 days a week, and do reformer pilates 4 times a week. I started dropping weight then took the summer off mindful eating but kept working out and didn't put too much back on. In Nov I started back eating more mindfully and started dropping weight again. I'm down 65 #s since April 1 and still have a long way to go (Currently 255 and aiming for #195) but I know how to get there and I'm determined to do it again.

Anything is possible with Intention, Effort and Consistency.

12. Surfguy

One thing I never tried until I saw Hugh Jackman doing it recently is the seated dumbbell curls with the palms facing outward through the range of motion. I do both alarms lifting at same time. I got a major pump throughout the length of my biceps at 3 sets 9 reps max weight. The standing barbell curl is inferior after this imo. Then, the lying cable curl is another I regularly do. But, the seated dumbbell curl….OUCH! Those last reps on each set are some painful lifts that pay off. I’m 2 days out and my biceps are still jacked and sore through the whole length of them. The seated dumbbell curl is my new fave!

Xerobull and Rileydog like this.
  13. Surfguy

Seated dumbbell curls? Anybody? :( ;)

Xerobull and Rocket River like this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

easy on the low back. I did shoulder press barbell standing up and immediately felt a small tweak, I sat my ass back down.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For the vast majority of people, standing overhead barbell shoulder presses should be avoided. Seated DB presses remove your lower back from the equation and the so-called stimulus to fatigue ratio (SFR) is far higher.

SFR is also part of why I do Bulgarian Split Squats instead of traditional BB squats and Romanian deadlifts instead of traditional deadlifts.

Xerobull and Sajan like this.
  16. Surfguy

In the same vein, I've heard/seen around that you should never do lat bar pulldowns behind your head cause you can cause damage. Should always pull down in front...not behind. Albeit, I used to pull down in back and never had a problem but I gave it up when I heard some discussions on it. Similarly...if you are doing standing overheard barbell shoulder presses, then you should I believe also avoid bringing the bar down behind your head and keep it in front.

#336 Surfguy, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    Xerobull likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Lat pulldowns behind your head are stupid. Period. There is zero mechanical reason that can be given to do them.

Shoulder pressing behind your head can mess up your shoulders; it depends on shoulder mobility. There is no tangible benefit and I suggest avoiding.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Never had a problem with sttanding overheard barbell shoulder presses. That being said, you couldn't pay me to lower the barbell behind my head, not worth it

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

thanks for the suggestion. Immediately could tell this is superior. Like you, next day, good soreness through length of entire muscle.

Xerobull likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!