1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yep, could have moved him for a huge haul last year

2. The Beard

I doubt Benintendi's market was high enough to crater anyway, but I fully agree that he likely ends up in the NL where the chances of him having to go to Toronto for games in the playoffs would be extremely small

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It was probably higher than you think before the vaccine stuff came out because the market is so bad for outfielders.

Nook likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, and they actually consider him the face of their franchise.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I don't think he would have brought back a haul but he is very attractive to a competitor that wants a plug and play outfielder.

He won a gold glove last year, he seldom makes mistakes and has few big weaknesses.

Even his lack of power is mitigated because he doesn't strike out a lot.

The Beard likes this.
  6. The Beard

Yea maybe so, I just see him as a rental who isn't special anywhere and those guys don't usually bring back much. But you are right the OF market is thin, and prices will likely be higher than normal with so many teams "in" the race

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Reynolds, Mullins, and Mancini aren't available which appears to be the case, Benintendi is the best outfielder on the market unless another surprise player becomes available. Maybe you could argue Drury but he hasn't played any OF this year. Benintendi wasn't going to bring in a top 100 type prospect but maybe a top 10 prospect and another top 30 prospect within some organizations.

8. The Beard

He is possibly the top "known" OF on the market, but it's likely there are players being discussed that we aren't hearing about. I would guess Ian Happ could be had just to throw out another name, and as we near the deadline there are teams that could fall out of the race by then and open up a few more. I fully understand what you are saying though, I just don't see him as someone who moves the needle enough for me to want to give up anything significant for, and that's without the missing games in Toronto stuff. Don't get me wrong, i'd much much much rather have him on the team than Chas/Siri

9. Screaming Fist

I wonder if the Cubs would consider trading Happ since they should suck next year. That would potentially make Benintendi cheaper although I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Benintendi would be over McCormick.

10. The Beard

I'm sure the Cubs would move Happ if they get a decent offer. They have Suzuki and Morel as long term OF's, and Brennan Davis their top prospect is close, and two more of their top 4 prospects are OF.

Happ is having a nice year and is a career .800+ OPS guy, he would be a big upgrade over Chas

11. Screaming Fist

Happ would be. Benintendi, probably would be too but imo not worth the likely price. i've seen Astros fans also gush over David Peralta too which I don't understand at all unless McCormick gets hurt.

Wulaw Horn and The Beard like this.
  12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

As we've seen the past 5 years as Astros fans it takes so much to win a World Series. You NEVER can have enough depth, and what is even better is PROVEN depth. If there is a chance to get a player or two who is clearly better than Mccormick, Siri, Matijevic, and Meyers for this World Series run then you have to do it. Same goes for pitching as well.

IMO the only weakness we should have at the plate heading into the playoffs is Maldonado. It's become clear he's not going anywhere so I'm okay with that I guess.

1. Altuve
    2. Brantley
    3. Bregman
    4. Alvarez
    5. Tucker
    6. Yuli
    7. Pena
    8. Meyers/Siri/McCormick
    9. Maldonado

If you have an opportunity to replace or upgrade the 8th whole you gotta do it. I think Meyers is a nice player and has a great future ahead of him but if you can get a Benintendi, Ian Happ, or Bryan Reynolds then you do it.

Also this will be Pena's first postseason you never know how he'll perform. I'm optimistic but you never can have enough depth.

2017 was incredible but the sting of 2019 and 2021 still haunts me. This year I truly think we have a great shot to win it all. I really hope Click doesn't sit still. We need to get loaded if we can.

The Beard likes this.
  14. The Beard

Although i've been dead against trading away our young MLB starters, I would be all in on putting ONE of them in a package for Castillo. Give our pitching coaches the opportunity to work with Castillo, and we might have another Cole situation on hand.

Luis Garcia, Leon, Whitley, a guy in our 10-15 range they like and a lower level guy they like

for

Castillo and Drury

King1, everyday eddie and htownrox1 like this.
  15. Screaming Fist

I don't know what the Reds would want, but I've always thought Castillo had more to unlock and the Astros (along obv with the Yankees/Dodgers) could be capable of reaching it.

IowaAstro likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Urquidy, Brown, and Barber I think might be enough. Also, sounds like Houston’s farm just might be underrated.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

pretty much the same as Brantley without the injuries

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Still think we need to shoot for Yuli’s replacement. Earlier in the year I was not on board, but I am starting to worry about him and Brantley. Who is the best 1b, lf candidate?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Almost every farm has a guy like Brown that could be the centerpiece for Castillo. If the Astros are willing to deal Brown, a lot of doors should be open regarding trading. If Brown (or an MLB player) isn't dealt, Astros likely to try to make trades like last year for cheap relievers or a rental bat.

20. The Beard

Would do that if needed, would rather move Leon and another prospect and hold on to Brown if possible though. Also, adding Drury in a deal like this would be golden