1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea there is no way I would trade any of our current starters, other than Odorizzi, this year

I know most think we have so much depth there, but there is zero guarantees Lance is ready to give us many innings this year, and Brown is what he is, a prospect. May end up great, may not. May be good right away, may not

We trade away one of those guys right now, then another starters goes down, and we could quickly find ourselves starting Odorizzi and/or a bullpen start in a playoff game. F that

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. The Beard

Also, for those wanting Benintendi

He isn't able to play in Toronto because of his vaccination status. I REALLY DO NOT CARE where you stand on vaccinations and the political side of things so please keep that out of this thread

BUT

Reality is, if Toronto makes the playoffs and a team ends up playing them, he will miss games. I'm not sure what the playoff rule will be, but that could potentially send you in to playoff games with a smaller bench. Unless I knew we would at least be able to replace him for potential games in Toronto, I would not want to part with anything of value for him

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Meh, sounds like a rant to me. I'll take him

PTX and CVcrew like this.
  4. The Beard

Rant?

Rant about what lol?

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Benintendi.

6. The Beard

No idea what you are talking about, but ok lol

I just don’t necessarily want to move assets for a guy I might not be able to use in playoff games, and especially if I am not sure I would be able to replace him for those games. Not sure why that’s a rant, but cool

7. HTown2017Champs

Regarding Andrew Chafin, he has an inconsistent past, but last year he began to put it together and this year he has continued to perform well. Nothing about his numbers (0.951 WHIP, 2.16 FIP, 10.9 K/9, .185 xBAA) screams "fluke" and he has very even splits - so he is not a guy who I want just for the sake of having a lefty in the pen. And by the way, he is also under contract next year so not a rental.

Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  8. The Beard

Is he better than Neris, Stanek, Abreu?

Because those are the guys he would pitch instead of if a lefty is up

I’m not arguing against it, truly asking

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Player option for next year. Barring injury, or significant performance decrease he will opt out for a multi year deal or another 1 year with a player option contract. He won't command the trade costs of someone with an additonal year of control.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. HTown2017Champs

I see Chafin as replacing Maton more than anyone else, and overall deepening the back end of the pen. You can never have too many high-leverage relievers, and overusing the same guy can backfire, as we've seen.

When it comes to the three guys you mentioned, Maton is someone they like against lefties more than Stanek, as Dusty said last night when asked why Maton and not Stanek (look it up on Twitter, it is true). I am not quite that sold on Neris just yet, he has been inconsistent and I really do see Chafin as an upgrade over Neris. Abreu I think he is an upgrade over too. Abreu does have stuff but still shows some trouble with his command, and I do think it is somewhat telling that he is never even warming up during save/hold situations.

And thank you for clarifying, @Redfish81. Did not know that.

Nook, Htown Legend and The Beard like this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Surprised there hasn't been chatter about Ohtani being traded. I guess the Angles can still fight back for a wildcard spot but that's probably a long shot and then they just have one more year of Ohtani under team control. They could get a huge haul of a teams top prospects and still be in the mix to sign him as a free agent after 2023. They could have a conversation with him and say, "look we're out of it this year, here's your chance to play for a championship contending team this year. Of course we'll miss you next year but we're going to be talking to you after 2023. By then some of these players we've traded for will be ready to make an impact so we figure to have an improved team in 2024."

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's the type of absurd move that franchises with "plans" and "long term outlooks" make.

They will bring back most of the current team and add a free agent, surely that will put them over the hump, next season will be different.

The Beard likes this.
  13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Haven't they been doing that for most of the past decade? Apparently they suck at drafting, so they need an infusion of young controllable talent. If they don't make the playoffs next year then that increases the odds that Ohtani walks and they get nothing for him.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd love for the Astros to trade for Ohtani. Not going to happen, but that would be an FU to the rest of the league.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd guess they plan on trying to extend him. Something like 10/$400M.

16. juicystream

I was reading an article yesterday about the Yankees acquiring Mike Trout. Boy did that team sound scary.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd take the Astros with Ohtani over the Yankees with Mike Trout.

The Beard and everyday eddie like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

They have an owner who will spend on the major league roster, and nothing else (Astros fans circa 02-10 can relate), yet expects to contend every season. So they've been on the treadmill of not dreadful, but not good either. They never trade for prospects because they always think they're "close", or at least the owner does.

marks0223 and The Beard like this.
  19. juicystream

Sure, we're pretty even team now and adding an ace and a top level bat is better than just adding a top level bat. Just need Ohtani or Alvarez to learn 1B so we could have an amazing lineup outside of Maldy.

20. The Beard

If we told them they could pick any 10 prospects from our system for him, they would laugh

Snake Diggit likes this.