1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Too much for me, no way I would give up two of the young starters

I fully understand that means we would be out bid if in fact Reynolds came available, but I just wouldn’t risk it

Truth is, as Snake mentioned earlier, Reynolds would require at least a top 50 type along with a couple of more top 100 types. Garcia, Brown, Leon ++ might get their attention, but they would get offers of higher “ranked” prospects for sure, if we were in serious pursuit we would have to hope they liked Brown and Leon more than their general rankings

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yep, and I think you could take the Rockies and Angels off the list of sellers, because they are so stupid.

So you have 18-22 teams looking to buy and only 7 teams looking to sell. And a couple of those 7 sellers will only be looking to sell pending free agents because they want to be able to compete as soon as next season. Controllable star players are probably going to be insanely expensive, and because of the ratio even the rentals are going to be more costly than in previous deadlines. As I look each day at Houston’s roster it has made more and more sense for them to position themselves as sellers peddling BoR pitching (Odo/Urquidy) and fringey everyday CF (McCormick/Siri) while keeping an opportunistic eye out for a reliever project or bench bat. McCormick and Siri would probably be the best CF on the market after Reynolds and Laureano. Aside from Montas and Castillo, Urquidy and Odo should fetch the next highest price, as the alternatives are guy like Jose Quintana.

The Beard likes this.
  3. The Beard

I could see a McCormick for Mancini type of move

Astros upgrade a bat and get another option at 1B if needed, Orioles add a guy who could step in for Mancini as they try to stay in the race (I’m sure deep down they know) but a guy with more control

Baltimore could potentially get a true prospect for Mancini who has more upside, but if they are around .500 at the deadline they may want to go more in that route

And completely agree on the Angels and Rockies, both should be clear sellers but both are train wreck franchises who will not likely get better in the next decade with their current leadership

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Now would you give that up for Ohtani?

5. The Beard

Yes cause we would be getting a pitcher back

The Angels aren’t smart enough to move Trout and Ohtani though, they could blow that team up and build it right very quickly with the pieces they have to move, but they wouldn’t even consider it

Htown Legend likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Definitely.

7. Houston_Rockets

You people are nuts. You are willing to pay prime price for Reynolds considering the contract and more importantly the competition we would have in a bid war and not even entertain Contreras on a rental, with very limited amount of real contending teams with a need of a C upgrade compared to other needs.

And by you guys, I mean every Astro fan I see posting online, its a unanimous opinion. Maybe I am the nut :)

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't see any chance the Angels trade Ohtani or Trout but Syndergaard should be moved. The starting pitching market is drying up by the day. Montas had a velocity drop and MRI showed shoulder inflamation. The A's haven't put him on the IL but he's at least missing his next start. Mahle also just hit the IL with shoulder issues. Syndergaard might get them a couple decent prospects.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Sometimes standing pat is a great move. Sometimes it is a horrible move. Most most of the time it's a coin flip.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

no way on Reynolds

I like what Beard said about McCormick for Mancini I think they would want alittle more but I could see it to give him a chance to win a Championship with all his loyalty to them

I would still Pursue Josh Bell even if we made that Trade and Use Mancini in LF and RF as a back up OF and DH and 1B every know and then just to throw off the others teams on the Lineups you could push out there.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'd do that deal no problem I think. It means you shift Meyers to lF, you get rid of Brantley, saving that 16,000,000.00. It opens up a spot in the starting rotation for Brown. You can spend Brantley's money on JV when his salary goes from 25 ish to 40 ish.
    JV/LMJ/Framber/Javier/Brown.
    Altuve/Yordan/Reynolds/Tucker/Bregman/Pena/Meyers/ jones- JJ platoon/ maldy & Lee. That's a really solid rotation and a really solid lineup.
    That leaves your depth in AAA as Beilak and Whitley. I'm ok with that. You only need 4 in the playoffs and that front 4 is pretty spectacular and Brown has ace stuff. That roster is win 110+ games good. You could have injuries as a trainwreck and still win 100 and win the division going away.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No. I think we should be all in on Contreras. We just won't do it and I've made my peace with it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

13. Houston_Rockets

Believe brother. There is no way, a ultra competent franchise like ours will not kick the tires on a clear upgrade like he is, regardless of how much they "love" Maldy. Everyone does, but we are talking about Contreras here, top in his position, and we have C AND DH abs for him (with the brantley situation).

We would find ways to keep everyone fresh and happy for a better shot at a WS win.

As for Reynolds, it will take a kings ransom man, you know the Yankees would go all in on him, I mean ALL IN.

raining threes likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would not say too much, but not structured for best benefit of the team.

If the team trades for Reynolds then either Leon or Barber or both should be in the deal because all 3 OF starting positions will be taken for the next few years ( assuming Meyers continues to show what he has so far)

I would offer : Urquidy, Leon, McCormick, Solomon, and J J. Matijevic.

If they play hard ball and demand Garciavinstead of Urquidy I counter by replacing Matijevic with a guy like McKenna who has under performed but has potential.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's not about not entertaining Contreras.

It's about there being ZERO chance.

A trade for an OF is a possibility especially with an ailing Brantley.

What US fans are not considering is that the Astros consider Contreras a DOWNGRADE.

In fact, they believe Maldy is Johnny Bench and they already have the best possible catcher.

Therefore they aren't looking.

If you factor that they think hitting is the 6th or 7th most important thing a catcher does, it makes sense.
    Hitting is the only thing Contreras does better.

That is why I refuse to even talk about a Contreras deal.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is way too much. Garcia for Reynolds straight up might be reasonable, but doubt we'd do that.

Urquidy + Chas + Solomon would be reasonable, but I think the Pirates would prefer prospects to lower level MLB regulars.

I'd expect the Pirates would want Meyers + Brown in return for Reynolds, with a couple other guys mixed in there.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If the Pirates would do those deals, I'd go for it. But I don't think any of those are sufficient. It's one reason standing pat and filling our needs in house is appealing. If we could offset the Field value with a salary dump, it's more appealing, particularly if that player still has field value, but got too large of a contract. We positioned ourselves to take on salary if the player actually improves us.

18. Houston_Rockets

I don’t want to sabotage the convo with Contreras, I am clearly in the minority, so last one for me.

I just don’t believe the crazy good talent evaluators in the Astros believe Maldy is the best catcher in the game, and that they could simply not work with a top 3 catcher, that has been top 1 in 2022, from August until October to better their chances at another WS win.

As for the bolded part, it is with this type of mentality that we have lost 2 WS (against inferior offenses), with our inability to score runs as an insane batting lineup, with 1 guy in that lineup who doesn’t have the ability to be a spark that could make us go crazy. Maybe, just maybe having someone at that position with that ability, can, just maybe, be important. But that is my opinion, I bet the guy who does it every day in the Astros only believes in framing and nothing else.

By the way Contreras arm is comparable with Maldy, so he is not clearly inferior at eveything defensively.

I am not a US fan by the way ;)

19. raining threes

Not every Astros fan

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade Meyers straight up for Reynolds.