1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Here’s a couple of questions for guys more informed than me. Using the new system can pitches be called directly from the dugout? So someone on the bench would talk to both catcher and pitcher at the same time. Second question, could Maldonado call as good of a game from the dugout as from behind the plate or does the perspective he gets from behind the plate inform his decisions on the pitch and its location? Would love to see Maldi become a bench coach and call the game from there and get another bat into the lineup, but I could see where you might have to be behind the plate to be as effective at managing the pitchers.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

K. I do lose track sometimes as I adjust my glasses to read the comments. But at least I can do that now. Gping into the Optometrist tomorrow for the second of three refractions in hopes of getting a usable prescription for unstable eyes.

3. raining threes

You don't like batting champions?

the shark likes this.
  4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

This thread is a lot weirder than it’s been in years past for some reason….

However, I think it’s become more clear over the past couple weeks that Meyers looks locked in to CF and the Astros aren’t going to get a C that will eat into a significant amount of Maldy’s playing time. That pretty much leaves 1B, backup C, possibly a 4th OF, and a LH bullpen arm as positions that can be upgraded

SWTsig likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If Gurriel goes on a run, we don't need help at 1B until next season.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Since we know Maldy is the catcher barring injury, I want a stronger bench bat for pinch hitting duties in the playoffs. Someone like Drury would be a signifcant upgrade over Diaz. We have a pretty weak hitting bench with Dubon, Diaz, Castro/Lee on the team....

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I was wondering this earlier. As weird as it sounds could we find ourselves in a position to trade some guys off the MLB/40 man rosters for high upside MiLB guys? It really feels like we have too many good players and not enough roster spots.

What a crazy question for a WS contending team but here we are.

lnchan likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Or legit Gold Glovers?

raining threes likes this.
  9. lnchan

Prediction... if Forrest gets traded, he is destined to be the next Curt Schilling and Johann Santana in Astros lore.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  10. lnchan

I know we don't have a lefty bullpen arm, but do we actually want one considering Dusty's usage patterns for them? I would rather have Montero kill an inning than being killed by putting in a lefty just because he is a lefty. I don't see the team pull the rug under Korey Lee prematurely... and Yuli will be fine, and after the Carlos Lee and Chris Carter experience, I learned to value firstbase defense. Remember last year when Gallo and Kimbrel were the prizes...? Not every big name is an improvement with what we have.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

lol

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I tend to recall Nolan Ryan being too old as primarily a fastball pitcher in 1980. He was through. Went to Texas and threw 7 more years and two more no-hitters. It's especially fresh in my mind when I hear Yuli will NEVER hit again because he's 38.

lnchan likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I agree with your points here. I was just pointing out that these are the positions that could be upgraded if deemed necessary. Not really any glaring “needs” especially since CF and C were a big part of the discussion here for majority of the season.

If we stand pat, that’s fine. My personal opinion is that if we can make a deal for a Mancini or Josh Bell, I’d pull the trigger and give that guy majority of the playing time at first base moving forward.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I don't agree that Solomon needs to be on the 40 man roster. He could be dropped to make room for a player who actually needs protection from the rule 5 draft and probably not be picked off. Additionally if he where to be picked off he is unlikely to be missed.

15. lnchan

Or Yuli... can't field at that age... Omar Vizquel got a gold glove at short at 39... Ozzie at 37

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My point is that he CAN'T be removed from the 40 man without being lost to waivers.

Any team that trades for him must put him on their 40 man which reduces his value.

He has a good performance history, is not injured that we know of, and a scouting grade that would prevent him from clearing waivers like Ivey did.

17. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Snell has an ERA of 5.13, but his FIP is 3.71and a SIERRA of 4.04, so he is not nearly as bad as you are intimating. Certainly not Cy Young level, but definitely not burdensome.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This team is still not perfect but much closer than a month ago.

1) Meyers has returned and performed as hoped. Not a super star but very good bottom of the lineup bat without sacrificing defense.

2) Bregman and Yuli have both shaken off the early season under performance and are viable rather than liabilities.

3) Those 2 points make Maldy's bat less important, but he has actually improved too even though he is still very below league average.

4) The rotation is dominant 6+ deep with more help on the way.

5) the bullpen is deep and dominating. Understand that ALL bullpens have a stinker occasionally and because they pitch so few innings each run given up is magnified.

6) the bench looks like the weakness of this team.

The team has 2 position starters in their first full season this year and staring at potentially 4 position players being rookies next season.

That's a lot of inexperience for a contending team.

I would be surprised if a veteran 1B/ corner OF bat is not brought in. If not at the deadline then in the offseason.

I think it would really strengthen the bench for the playoffs but also be necessary for next year.

Phillyrocket and everyday eddie like this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

Who would you replace Snell with? I don’t think he’s a scrub but he’s walking 5 per 9 and has a 1.4 whip. Seems like an unnecessary project to try and fix him in the middle of a World Series run. Especially given you got 7 starters with Hunter Brown lurking.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It was reported that the Astros are looking and considering him.

If they see something they feel they can fix then this is very ASTRO move.

Granted it's usually in the offseason but. . .

Think Graveman, Maton, Yimi Garcia, and Montero last year.

The Astros have the cushion in the standings to work with him. Maybe make him the lefty in the pen while overhauling him to the Astros way this year and then considering him in the rotation next year.

He CAN be an ace and CY Young caliber.

And could allow the team to use other pitchers in trades next year.

I'm intrigued as long as the deal is reasonable.