1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not even sure how a reliever will fit in. Martinez I guess is replaceable but you have McCullers and Brown and Whitley sitting there looking for a spot.
    I'd think unless you trade for some game changer like Juan Soto which is 99.9999% not likely, then Mancini is the perfect fit. Diaz, Mancini and Dubon are just about the perfect bench with the combination of positions they can play.

2. Buck Turgidson

Brad Hand? I've wanted that guy on the Stros for years. Haven't paid any attention to him lately though.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

he went from going unclaimed on waivers to having a good bounce back year to date. Not sure what changed or if there are statistical outliers, but Also:

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

I had no idea he got waived last year, huh.

His splits are weird this year too, he kills RHB and is good against lefties but he walks too many of them. However with the 3 batter rule that's not a bad kind of LHP to have in the pen.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Very unimpressed with BB rate and K/BB rate

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astros get Rhys Hoskins RH hitting 1B w/ .837 OPS to hit between Alvarez and Tucker. 1 more year of control, FA 2024.
    Baseballtradevalues = $13.0M.

Phillies get Chas McCormick, Aledmys Diaz, and Jake Odorizzi. Total value $13.4M

Phillies have a legitimate chance at a wild card spot but have only 2 league average starting pitchers and terrible defense.

Starting second baseman Segura is out until at least mid August and replacement has not hit at all. Diaz plays there until he returns and then becomes top bench option.

Schwarber played 1B quite a bit for Boston last year and moves there from LF where Chas moves.

Odorizzi instantly becomes their #3 starter and the Astros are off the hook for his buyout in the off season.

Phillies improve defense by adding plus defenders at 2B and LF.

Phillies have hitting to spare but it's about a wash with LF falling from all star level to league average but 2B moving from a liability to at least league average.

Phillies improve and deepen their rotation.

For Astros:
    1B: Yuli 60%, Hoskins 40%
    2B: Altuve 95%, Yuli 5%
    3B: Bregman 95%, Yuli 5%
    SS: Pena 85%, Dubon 15%
    LF: Brantley 50%, Alvarez 50%
    CF: Meyers 90%, Dubon 10%
    RF: Tucker 95%, Dubon 5%
    DH: Alvarez 45%, Hoskins 35%, Brantley 20%.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maldy is upgrading in house after two homers and reaching on a SO yesterday. I know his WAR jumped, but I can't find the new wRC+.

#1147 Marshall Bryant, Jul 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  8. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t the same pitcher he was a few years ago. His stuff isn’t very good anymore.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I was just thinking of the unexpected Blockbuster we used to get. I've fantasized about Trout, but what about Ohtani who has only ONE Year of arbitration left before reaching FA in 2024. This is the type of player they have acquired with deadline deals before. With Trout's struggles at MMP, perhaps his team mate is a better target.

His current WAR is 3.9 and last season was League Leading 9.0. For comparison, Tucker is at 4.0 right now.

Would you trade SP with similar value for a year and a half of Ohtani? Forget for a moment LAA is a division rival. While still important, it will be less important under the new schedules.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I can’t imagine Ohtani is on the block because I’m pretty sure they believe they can re-sign him.

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The Angels make terrible decisions all the time.

The Angels need to sell everyone off and start over. Trout Ohtani everyone. this is not how you build a team. And all the bad Contracts they have its going to be awhile before they get back to where they need to be

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Odorizzi, Garcia and Urquidy for Ohtani. Not an obvious trade, but LAA picks up 5 years of CC with Garcia and Urquidy while immediately adding depth to their rotation.

LAA

Sandoval * 3.09 ERA
    Synderggard 3.86 ERA
    Odirizzi 3.13 ERA
    Garcia 3.54 ERA
    Urquidy 4.15 ERA

HOU

Verlander 2.03 ERA
    Ohtani 2.68 ERA
    Valdez 2.65 ERA
    Javier 2.58 ERA
    Brown/McCullers

Altuve 2B
    Ohtani DH
    Alvarez LF/1B
    Meyers CF
    Tucker RF
    Gurriel 1B/RPH
    Bregman 3B
    Pena SS
    Maldonado C

Bench
    Dubon IF/LF
    McOormick OF
    Castro/Lee C
    Diaz IF/ Matijevic IF/OF

13. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Nevermind, you answered my question above. Still don't think that haul to the Angels is anywhere close, but enjoy your fantasy. :)

raining threes likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Didn't he publicly talk about wanting to play for a winner and show some frustration with the Angels organization during the long losing streak?

Ohtani is the type of guy who I think would prefer to extend or resign rather than play musical teams but maybe a trade to a team he chooses first.

2 problems but HE may be worth it.

1) it would take a huge package with at least 1 of Alvarez, Tucker, or Pena included AND at least 2 more of the very best young pitchers or prospects the team has.

2) he does not play a fielding position so it would make Alvarez a full time LF ( unless he can be moves to 1B)

Think : Pena, Javier, Luis Garcia, and a couple of prospects in our top 10 as a LOW MAYBE ANGELS CONSIDER kind of deal.

Maybe if we weren't in the division they would consider less.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maybe. But at some point, a couple of hours on trips to Japan isn't worth playing for losers. If it is, we really don't want him anyway.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think that would be the ask for them, yes. And I’d hang up the phone laughing bc of the 1.5 years of service time.
    I’m not sure I would make that deal for Mike Trout and he’s signed forever basically. If you want Javier then he has to be paired with Urquidy rather than Garcia, and it’s not Peña going over it Chaz and Leon and maybe Barber.
    If I was the angels I’d make that deal- it gives you quality pitching at 4 spots on the lineup, a competent OF now, two swings at an above average OF in prospects and I get to use 40 million dollars a year to fill holes elsewhere.
    If I’m the Astros I would do that deal only if I had word JV was going to re-sign or I was damn sure LMJ was healthy and either Brown or Whitley were good to be above average starters.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Just for context and valuing purposes.

Baseballtradevalues has Ohtani worth $97.5 M.

I estimate the Angels would want at least $20-25M in surplus value to consider trading him and trade him to the Astros. After all in division he will be going to Anaheim in an Astros uniform in front of their fans much more often AND this makes it even harder to win the division.

Jeremy Pena, Luis Garcia, Christian Javier, Yanier Diaz, and Peter Solomon total up to $118.7.

$21.2M in surplus value so Angrls MAY consider this package.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think are best course of action is just to upgrade even though we are playing well.
    BUT and I say BUT it has to be for future help Aswell.
    Meaning if we know we can't sign them don't trade for them.

As I say that here is what I think we should do:

Trade for

Washington Nationals
    Josh Bell and Cole Henry

for

Houston Astros
    Jose Urquidy and both Peter Solomon and Tyler Ivey

Sign Josh Bell to a 4-year deal paying him 12 m per season with incentives, and he has an opt out Clouse on the 4th season

The Nationals get a cheap Young SP who is good in the Rotation and has years of control. plus 2 Prospects that can eventually play for the big-league club and help them out down the road.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Houston Astros
    Jake Odorizzi JJ Matijevic and Chas McCormick

for

San Diego Padres
    Blake Snell, Robert Hassell III and Luis Campusano

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston Astros
    Forrest Whitley, Colin Barber and Alex Santos

for

Baltimore Orioles
    Trey Mancini and Both Carter Baumler and Heston Kjerstad

This trade makes the Depth on the Bench and OF very deep we have are rotation of who hits what and were.
    Mancini Can play BOTH COF spots 1B and DH Makes our depth players so much more valuable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yuli moves to the Bench with Diaz and super utilitys the Infield
    Mancini is the 4th OFer slash 1B DH

Lineup Back Up depth

1. Altuve 2B YULI/Diaz/Dubon
    2. Pena SS Diaz/Dubon
    3. Bell 1B Mancini/YULI
    4. Alveraz DH Mancini/YULI/Brantley
    5. Tucker RF Mancini/Diaz/Dubon
    6. Brantley LF Mancini/Diaz/Dubon
    7. Bregman 3B YULI/Dubon/Maybe Mancini IDK
    8. Meyers CF Dubon/Tucker if need be
    9. Maldy C Castro/LEE/Campusano depending on what you do with Castro

Rotation
    Verlander
    Framber
    Garcia
    McCullers
    Javier
    and call up Hunter Brown

20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

None of these trades will ever happen. Totally unrealistic.