1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

This is the million dollar question, cause no one really knows how the expanded playoffs will play out until we get closer to the deadline. We have to remember, it’s not as easy as looking at who finished close but out in previous years, it’s who feels close enough in another month

Many teams are also moving towards valuing their own prospects more. As huge contracts go even bigger, more teams want their own “cheap” contributors.

Also, with catchers fewer teams are willing to bring in a new catcher to their staff if their staff is doing well with who they have

I have a feeling it will take 1 fringe too 100 guy and maybe a couple lotto tickets, or a package of non top 100 guys who are close and the Cubs feel like can contribute quickly

Chas, Dubin, Solomon and a lotto ticket would probably get it done

2. HTown2017Champs

In what world is Castro good defensively? This isn't Maldonado we're talking about. Castro may be familiar with our pitchers, but I have called out his defense quite a few times. He's had balls get away, and has also made some really bad throws, including one on Sunday. The backup catcher has to provide at least something, because as mentioned, he is one injury away from starting every day in the playoffs.

everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  3. raining threes

This is why Contreras would take over Castro's role of catching a couple of days a week and playing 1st two or three days a week.

4. The Beard

Has he ever played 1B?

I don't buy into the belief of so many that you can just put anyone at 1B and be ok defensively

I would be all for bringing in Contreras, let him catch 2-3 games a week and DH 3-4. He could basically platoon with Brantley, being the DH vs LHP while Alvarez plays LF and Brantley sits and is a lethal pinch hitter.

I'm all for bringing him in, but unless he has some successful 1B experience in his past that I don't know about, i'm out on putting him there

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I was wondering as well. Only thing I saw was that that played catcher, 1b, 2b, 3b,lf, rf in the minors but that was a long time ago.

6. raining threes

I'm pretty sure I've seen him playing some 1b for the Cubs this year.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Finding a platoon partner for Brantley can definitely come with a DH spot now that Yordan has taken on significant time in left field.
    I will say again- Nelson Cruz is up to almost a 900 OPS over the last 30 games and he’s historically killed lefties. And he should cost literally nothing if you pay his salary. still need to fix the glaring hole at 1B but getting some more thump against left handed pitchers and adding a super high quality PH bat for Maldy in playoff games we are losing fills up 2 holes at once.
    he’s the exception that proves the rule that more or less anyone can play 1B in my mind. Anyone but him.

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Why not see the price of Contreras and if it's decent and doesn't hurt to bad make the move.

Then look at Benintendi to play RF and rotate the OF with Tucker at CF and Benintendi swapping every now and then. Maybe some DH letting Yordan in LF ? We could essentially let Brantley walk and use that money to resign him Benintendi and Contreras especially if Yuli is on the outs. Or if they wanna resign Brantley try him at 1B until thy see if JJ is ready or Jones?

Just an Idea if your gonna go balls deep you mine aswell go till u strike MUD. Js

9. The Beard

THE
    ASTROS
    ARE
    NOT
    PLAYING
    TUCKER
    IN
    CF

IdStrosfan and Bregatron like this.
  10. The Beard

CBS has a position index for all players and it does not show any 1B for him, checked that before I posted

Not sure on previous years

I would love to add Contreras

I do not think he is the answer at 1B

raining threes likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Agreed.

The team has extreme confidence in Meyers. They feel he has all star potential.

They traded Straw last year to open a spot for him.

They optioned BOTH the other CFers after he was activated.

All the things we keep saying about the Astros NOT trading for a starting catcher.

Now add CF to those same posts.

And that goes for playing Tucker there too.

Move on to something that isn't a pipe dream.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Contreras has played more innings at 3B than first base since 2019 (1 vs 0). Out of 5041.2 played innings in his career, he has spent 51.1 at 1B, and only 12.1 since 2017.

Brantley last played 1B in the minors in 2008.

It has been expressed by BOTH Click and Baker that Tucker is not going to be playing CF.

Benintendi has exactly 0 major league innings in RF in his 7 year career.

I'm not saying these players CAN'T play these positions, it just seems like they probably wouldn't be the best options. Way too much MLB the Show kind of thinking. :D

The Beard likes this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Played 3 innings in each of 2019 and 2018 at 1st

Played 20 innings in 2017 and 19 innings in 2016 at 1st

He has only been a DH or catcher this season

Doesn't seem like a real solution

The Beard likes this.
  14. The Beard

I’m not even saying we won’t trade for a CF if Meyers shows nothing over the next few weeks, but they have been clear they don’t want Tucker in center

The Houston Astros baseball club values defense WAY more than 99% of clutch fans posters

15. The Beard

Baltimore is 19-15 since calling up Rutschman. They are currently 6 games out of a wild card.

The chances of them making the playoffs, obviously, are extremely low. But they could make a good case study of the new playoff system

11 of their next 14 games are against teams with losing records. They could very well go to the All Star Break right around the .500 mark

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

CBS?

Go to baseball reference like normal people. Shows the minors too.

Nook likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just player at a position of weakness isn't enough to make a trade. You have to look at whether it improves the team or the system. I think Matijevic is up to see how he handles 1B in case Gurriel doesn't pull out of his slump and for 2023 evaluation before the trade deadline.

Do we have an in house replacement that is as good as or better than someone in the trade market at the deadline? This evaluation will be made this month.

18. The Beard

Normal?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. awc713

awc713 Member

There’s been a lot of support on CF for acquiring Varsho, but his offensive numbers looks pretty pedestrian. Can someone explain why he’s such a good/expensive fit?

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

NO.

I'll chalk it up to trade frenzy. Just do SOMETHING, even if you have better in house options.