1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

A team can always use more help.

I think that adding a bat is the top priority and I suspect the cost for a catcher or CF will be too high, so that leaves 1st base.

Having said that, the Astros I hope, are open to looking at elite bullpen arms.

toby and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yup... just not seeing a great match for the Astros at catcher.

That's where I am at....

1st baseman and then a reliever. If they go for a rental someone like Bard or Fulmer. If they want to spend on someone with some team control maybe Jorge Lopez or Scott Barlow.

I think they brought up Paredes to see if he can be the guy so they don't have to spend on a reliever. He was very good in AAA and has the nasty stuff you want in the playoffs. Just has to keep the walks down.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have not done a deep dive but the Cardinals may be a trade partner.

Jack Flaherty just had a setback after recently returning from injury and they may be looking for rotation help.

They have 2 rookie players who have been very good but are not starters. They have 1B, 3B, Lf, and Rf starters in place. Neither of them look to be primary middle infielder guys who would cause St Louis to need to hold on to them.

Brendan Donovan has played at least 5 games at each position except C and CF. He has 155 OPS+ in 197 PA

Juan Yepez has played at least 9 games at each of 1b, Lf, and Rf. He has 126 OPS+ in 167 PA.

I'm not sure where they are on prospect value or rankings list but they may be available for a reliable starting pitcher.

They are trying to compete so prospects are probably not what they want.

But Odorizzi, Urquidy, or Javier may be attractive to them.

Which of the 3 and whether a prospect needs to be included in either direction would be depending on the prospect value as I have not looked.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

C: Willson Contreras, Sean Murphy, Daulton Varsho
    1B: Josh Bell, Trey Mancini, CJ Cron, Garrett Cooper
    SP: Luis Castillo, Frankie Montas, German Marquez
    RP: Scott Barlow, David Bednar, Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin, Daniel Bard, Brad Hand, Joe Mantiply

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

Given that there would be quite a few contending teams looking at Contreras (and thus driving up the price) I'm curious what the cost would be? Even though he's a FA and thus a rental the price could get steep.

Nook/Snake what's your thoughts?

6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Bullpen does not need help, but we need another bat (someone like J.Donaldson). When playoff comes, we will have excess of SP from Verlander, F.Valdez, McCullers, L.Garcia, Odorizzi, Urquidy and C.Javier. 1st round Odorizzi and Urquidy likely not on the roster until 2nd round. Then 2nd round, they become long relivers. We need another bat, we can't rely on Yuli.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All it takes is one team to overpay but for Contreras I would think 2 grade 45+ prospects would be fair value. In Houston’s case I think that would mean 2 prospects from this group: Alex Santos, Yainer Diaz, JJ Matijevic, Enmanuel Valdez, Shawn Dubin. I would think Brown, Lee, Leon, Whitley, and Barber would be off the table.

The Beard likes this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

Sounds about right however I would put Enmanuel Valdez on the no can do list as I really like the direction he's going.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I really like Emmanuel but he is blocked at his 2 realistic positions (2b, 3b) and has a bench player or DH ceiling according to most scouting reports.

Should the team balk at giving up that player to improve the chances of a World Series?

The Beard likes this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

The Bull pen can always be deeper.

But I think A COF would be easyier then a CFer at this point. and a 1B would be the best hope.
    honestly Im not even worried anymore at C lets wait and see what Yanier Daiz does in AAA and call him up.

Bell Mancini Drury if I had to make a top 3 at 1B

Mullins then Benintendi in that order if OF

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I wonder how long before Seattle simply moves on to next year?

Tied with Baltimore 7 games out of final wild card and behind Cleveland, Chicago, Angels, and Rangers who are also outside looking in but ahead of them.

Playoffs in 2022 looks like a pipe dream.

13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They went for it in the offseason signing Ray and trading for Suarez and Winker. They will wait until really close to the deadline and see where they are. They could flip Santana at the deadline if they decide to sell.

The Beard likes this.
  14. raining threes

I'm looking at trading Abreu for Contreras

15. raining threes

Play Contreras at 1st and catchers splitting time playing him 5 days a week.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The way Abreu has looked this year that would be a steep price, although it’s probably fair. I would be ok if Chicago covered Contreras’ salary and/or threw in a lotto prospect.

raining threes likes this.
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would try and nab Robertson or Effross with Contraras.

I would go as far as Lee for a pair of them

raining threes likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Contreras is going to be too expensive for a rental. Only way I give up the price is if the Astros are going to give him an extension. With Tucker’s situation still uncertain, I doubt they go after Contreras.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Spend some time watching literally any other team other than Milwaukee, and only then will you realize how good our pen is

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If you could get one of them for Odorizzi and a prospect, cool

F no to trading Javier or Urquidy