1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If the Astros decide to upgrade CF because Meyers, McCormick, and Siri aren't doing enough then I expect them to go the most affordable route. Which is sticking Tucker in CF and trading for a corner outfield rental like Benintendi or Mancini who can play 1st and LF. If Conforto is healthy towards the end of the season they could also just pay him. I do not expect Javier, Abreu, Urquidy, or Brown to be traded. Bryan Reynolds won't be an Astro.

Nook and Phillyrocket like this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would take a complete reversal of what they have steadfastly stuck to

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

And I believe they will do that for a couple months rather than trade away important MLB pitchers and gut their farm which is seriously lacking in starting pitching at the upper levels.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would just go against everything they have done since Click took the reigns

Would be shocking to me if they go that route, much more likely they go status quo than move Tucker to CF in my opinion. Time will tell

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So who in the hell is playing RF in this scenario?

An outfield with 2 leftfielders around Tucker better f**king mash

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I believe status quo is more likely as well. I'm saying they are more likely to stick Tucker in CF than trade for Reynolds because the cost would be prohibitive and the Astros don't have the excess prospects to make it happen.

Brantley in RF and Mancini in LF if you are talking about that scenario. Mancini would also play a good bit of first if Yuli is struggling. Benintendi is a very good defender and could handle RF. Conforto is very good in RF.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Benitendi has literally never played RF professionally. He has played a little CF....poorly.

A team with a lot of flyball pitchers isn't gonna run a reprehensible outfield defense for a slight offensive upgrade.

xcrunner51 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Brantley cannot play RF.

We tried it a couple of times in the past years, it was a total disaster.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Generally agree. How about at Yankee stadium though with the short porch? If he could play RF anywhere that would be most likely. Still not sure what the point in that would be though, or what purpose it would serve.

10. Buck Turgidson

Why ever even try it? LF/DH

11. HTown2017Champs

If we’re trading for a bat, Mancini is the best option because of his 3 position (1B/LF/RF) versatility. Baltimore still starts him in the OF from time to time, and he literally had an assist from RF a few days ago (I look at all the box scores).
    Benintendi is a pure LF who can’t play anywhere else without being a liability. And the thought of using Tucker as a CF would be a 100% reversal of the FO’s past assertions.

Htown Legend likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You guys just want to hold onto the Reynolds in CF fantasy. He's the new Realmuto on this board. Not happening. I'm not saying Tucker is LIKELY to be moved to CF. I'm saying it's more likely than the Astros acquiring Reynolds because I put that at ZERO chance of happening. Most likely, some combination of McCormick, Siri, and Meyers will be in CF.

I personally think Benintendi can play RF. He played it some in college so it isn't completely foregin to him and he is a very good LFer. He's a gold glover in LF... but can't play a serviceable or even solid RF? Sure..... whatever you say. He may not have the arm Tucker does but he can run down a lot of balls and comes in on the ball very well.

If they do trade for Mancini most of his playing time would come at 1st. They don't HAVE to play him at the same time in the outfield as Brantley. We know how much Dusty and the Astros like to rest players.

13. HTown2017Champs

Another possibility is Tyler Naquin. He should be cheap, but can play a solid center field and is easily an upgrade over what we have currently. Only potential issue is that means 4 left handed starting outfielders (and DH). But since Dusty has come to like Alvarez and Tucker back-to-back, plus our infielders are all right-handed, that shouldn’t matter.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am leaning toward Contreras as the best target overall. He is an elite hitter for his primary position. But he can also serve as an option at 1B and LF (especially considering Alvarez can play LF, opening up DH).

Castro has been dreadful. So dreadful, in fact, that if Houston were to designate him, he would likely go unclaimed and not even be offered a major league deal by another team. Which means Houston could trade for his replacement, then offer Castro a few hundred k to chill in Sugar Land as an emergency catcher (and mentor to Lee/Diaz).

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Castro knew he was done before the season started. He gets his walking papers from the Astros he will have a big grin on his face and skip out of the locker room for the last time. You do point out a problem for the Astros that they might address. Whether they add an MLB level catcher or not I could see them trading for a AAAA type catcher as an emergency catcher to be in Sugar Land. Lee just isn't ready.

Htown Legend likes this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

the problem with Contraras is the cost and so many other teams will out bid us.

This is why i would think out side the box. If no Mancini why not Drury from the reds?

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

TYler Naquin is on just dont like the fact he is comming off a injury and at the age of 31 its iffy he wont get reinjured

As I said before Victor Robles would be a decent add to the CF spot

18. raining threes

I'm hoping Click gives up what it takes to get Contreras. I expect Dubon to be playing alot of CF when Pena gets back. If Meyers makes it back then Dubon could play some 1st too.

Diaz will probably start splitting time with Yuli soon. BTW, when will Taylor Jones be ready to play?

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agreed. That’s why I said not sure what the point would be. Someone brought it up upthread and I can’t think of any conceivable reason to do it, but I we curious as to if Yankee Stadium was the one place it could happen.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Taylor Jones started his rehab assignment right around the same time as Meyers. So the Astros have some 40 man roster decisions to be made tomorrow. Jones is hitting worse than Meyers so he probably gets optioned to AAA.

raining threes likes this.