1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Now that it's over, was Urquidy really in trade talks other than here where we wanted an all star CF in return?
    All I heard was a starting pitcher and Odo was that. So technically they were never wrong.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

3. Buck Turgidson

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

f’ing Google.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. Nook

Nook Member

Urquidy was definitely being shopped and shopped hard. They wanted to use him to get a CF with more than a year of control or a catcher with multiple years. They even floated Garcia for the right type of player.

It didn’t happen because the A’s decided to hold onto Murphy and the Astros were not giving up either for Laureano. They spoke to the Blue Jays as well about catching.

I haven’t been told this, but I strongly suspect they will dangle them in trade for a catcher or center fielder again this off season.

The Astros have Brown who they internally know is more than ready and who they believe would have the same level of performance right now that Urquidy has. Garcia is a harder move for them because some in the organization think he can become a #1-2 type pitcher.

7. Nook

Nook Member

There was lots of interest in Urquidy and Garcia but the Astros want was big. They wanted Murphy in Oakland for Urquidy or Murphy and Laureano and Trevino for Garcia.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I expect them to try again in the offseason. For the right CF I wouldn't be that upset, but just go pay a catcher like Narvaez or Vazquez in free agency.

everyday eddie and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very interesting, although I’m not all that excited about what that says about how the Astros view Korey Lee and Yainer Diaz as long term catching solutions.

10. raining threes

I don't see SP#1-2 upside for Garcia. Think Framber, do you think he will ever be as consistently good as Framber? I don't. He's a 6 inning 3-4 run guy with stuff that makes you think more is to come, but I bet it never will.

11. Major

Major Member

Framber wasn't Framber at the equivalent point in his career. At the same age, Framber was in the middle of a season with a 5+ ERA.

Beyond that, 6 inning, 3.5 run guy would be an ERA of 5.25. Garcia hasn't had an ERA above 4 in his 3 seasons so far.

12. raining threes

I still don't see it in Garcia and would much rather have a guy like Urquidy on the staff over Garcia. Not that Garcia is a bad pitcher, I just don't think he will ever become what his talent level says he should be, which is a SP #1-2.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As it should be. I'd rather Crane just nut up and sign guys than trade either one of those 2. With the additional Wild Card and more importantly 3 game wild card series, I expect it is going to get even harder to get SP going forward. I really hope Crane looks at small extensions (2-3 years past club control) for whoever bites among Framber, Garcia, Urquidy, Tucker, and maybe even Brown.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Keep in mind there are still only so many rotation spots.

Framber
    McCullers
    Javier
    Urquidy
    Brown
    Garcia

And I strongly feel they resign Verlander.

One should be traded and Garcia is the guy I prefer, but can't just give him away.

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd rather the team get creative than end up short on SPs.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There are 4 ways to improve the roster.

1) wait for current young players and prospects to improve and gain experience. Not valid for a contending team.

2) Bring up prospects that are better than the current players. Very tough because by definition, prospects are not experienced or proven.

3) sign free agents. Viable but reduces payroll flexibility to extend young players getting expensive like Framber and Tucker.

4) trade from a position of strength. Ideally this is the farm system however if the farm system is not strong ( in other teams' opinions) then young MLB players have to be used.

In the Astros case option 4 makes the most sense. Especially if Verlander is back in 2023.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'll take Option 3. Trading MLB players for other MLB players is basically just changing how a team wins and not necessarily increasing team wins. Sure, if all the starting pitching remains healthy, trading a SP for a position player helps win a few more games in the regular season. However, if there are injuries to SPs, team likely loses more games when they have to rely on Bielak. Plus, SPs can be shoved down other teams' throats in the postseason as relievers. I'd rather have the better postseason roster than a team built for the regular season considering the Astros are still likely elite in the regular season.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Based on what I have heard they have tried to float extensions to their younger pitchers without much success. Some of it is that the Astros believe that pitching is fungible, which is why they put such a priority on it. They have offered a lot of extensions over the last 6-7 years and some have taken them and a lot haven't.

Crane and the Astros are willing to spend money, but they are adverse to long term high dollar deals. So far that strategy has largely worked.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Astros need long term deals. Verlander, Montero, a 1B, and a catcher or 2. I'm not opposed to trades in general, but I loathe trading MLB talent, pitching, and high level prospects that are really great and look ready.

Yainer Diaz is a notable exception if he can be traded with a catcher's value while I expect he would end up as a 1B for the Astros.

Nook likes this.
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Verlander to me is a must. He can have his career extended here given the quality and depth already on the staff. Keep a 6 man rotation most of the season so he stay fresh all year and gets that extra day of rest. He can stay around 160 IP. Give him a 3 year deal of whatever it takes. I'd do a 4th year team option! Some guys just have the work ethic to go out and defy the odds.

Nolan Ryan was one of the first players to dedicate himself to a year round work out routine. The Angels had a weight room when he went there and nobody was using it. He said it was put in for another sport. He had decided he wasn't going to be an out of shape fat pitcher early in his career. Justin reminds me of Nolan. Justin is 58-18 with a 2.30 ERA and a .83WHIP as an Astro. Do NOT over think this.

Nolan from age 40-43 started 129 games for a total of 874.1 innings (that's 6.7 innings per game over 4 years, that is over 218 inning per season) lead the league in strikeouts for all 4 seasons. Had good ERA all 4 years and at 40 lead the league 2.76era. His WHIP was great, right above 1 every season and lead the league at 43 and 44 years old (1.034 & 1.006).

I'm not saying it's a lock to JV will be great the next 3 years but I sure as hell would bet on JV. This staff needs his moxie and wisdom. Crane needs to get this done. JV has a family now, roots are established so unless Katie has a real good reason to leave the great state of Texas and raise a child elsewhere this to me is a MUST and shouldn't be that hard. JV said sometime ago he'd like to get that 300 win on his resume and felt with his routine he might pitch into his 40's like Ryan.