1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTown2017Champs, May 8, 2022.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say I expect to be wrong more often as I am less confident in how things will work out for different guys with so many different things changing. With illegal sticky stuff being used less (though doubtful removed completely), Pitch Com (reduced legal and illegal sign stealing), ball performing more like pre-juiced ball, and short spring training, pitchers and batters are in a very different environment and they are still adjusting and trying new things.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Did you see how the ENTIRE dugout reacted to Maldy's double last night?

No way this team replaces him.

Look for a different position to improve the team

BlindHog likes this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I only want trades for UPGRADES, not lateral moves.

Now JD Martinez would be an upgrade.

everyday eddie likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

In my science and math mindset, you just said there were more variables.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think they can get him on board a couple of weeks early without starting his clock AND get him some AB while qualifying him for post season.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

With just the players mentioned, I would play Alvarez LF, Tucker CF and Brantley RF using Soto at DH. Same players in the line-up and much better defense. I have no problem with Alvarez as a full time LFer anymore since his legs are good and he's showing range and instincts for LF.

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I was very surprised at how effective what hitting Maldy does is.
    He only has 11 hits on the season.
    But 5 have been for extra bases.
    Including 3 HR, 10 RBIs and 12 runs.
    He also has 9 walks.
    As well as tremendous defense, game calling, and team confidence building.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

While looking at potential trades to improve 2022 I realized how many holes the team will need to fill in 2023.

Starting 1B
    Starting LF
    Backup C
    #1 bench player

Possibly 2 SP and a high leverage RP also but I'm just looking at the bats.

C: I fully expect Korey Lee to learn under Maldy and them to fill the 2 catcher positions.

1B: selfishly, I would love for Alvarez to step into this role. As an outsider it just makes too much sense. Barring that the internal candidates are Taylor Jones, J.J. Matijevic, and Joe Perez. I don't think Perez is ready before 2024 and has not played 1B. That leaves Jones and J.J. who I both like but it would be a similar situation to Pena this year but with a less certain prospect. I could see them both sharing time up and down to AAA during the season with Yuli resigned into a backup/utility/mentor position.

LF: The team is very high on both Jake Meyers and Pedro Leon. I could see them both being primary starters. Curiously that very well might make Tucker the LF. That would be a fantastic defensive OF. I would expect Meyers to play CF and Leon in RF because all other things ( defensively) being equal his arm is a huge asset.

Bench: the acquisition of Dubon really helps here. It allows the team to use Yuli or one of the other OF like Siri or McCormick here and still have viable backups at all positions.

Obviously this does not consider a big acquisition and that is very likely considering 4 of the 13 current position players will be free agents, the team expects to win, and it has plenty of money.

It's just a fun exercise

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Pedro Leon is putting up some really nice numbers in AAA -- currently with a .914 OPS through 34 games. 10 steals, 7 HR and 27 RBI as well. Maybe our mid-season jolt comes from a call-up (Leon/Meyers) instead of a trade. We do have numerous holes to plug this offseason.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Given that those position player holes are among the easiest to fill at the trade deadline, i could see them standing pat (as they usually do). If the overall team offense is still potent next year they're not gonna burn trade chips for marginal gains. Otherwise shouldn't be too hard to get a rental, corner bat and some backups. They're in a great position.

Wulaw Horn, Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I really like a platoon of Taylor Jones and J.J. Matijevic at 1B.

I don't see the team going that direction with 2 unproven players ( especially considering Korey Lee and Pedro Leon should be on the team as well) taking up prominent roster spots at the same time.

Usually contending teams like to rely on fewer inexperienced players.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Calling up Leon in June or July would help with the inexperienced part. Ks (besides injury concerns) appear to be his only weakness. It is a strange world where a guy can strikeout ~1/3 of the time, but be fine as long as he plays defense and hits with some pop. Granted, he could suck, but at least the Astros would know and could plan accordingly.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I feel like they’ve got good internal options for every pending free agent:

Castro: Korey Lee might not be quite ready now but he likely will be by opening day 2023, especially in a backup role starting out.

Gurriel: JJ Matijevic is putting up extremely good numbers in AAA and his defense is much improved. He deserves a shot, it helps because he hits lefty and would balance out the lineup further.

Diaz: Dubon can serve as a de facto replacement but Leon being able to handle SS helps. Also, David Hensley and Enmanuel Valdez are hitting well enough in the minors to warrant consideration as options for 13th position player.

Brantley: They have a surplus of OF with Siri, Meyers, McCormick, Tucker, and Alvarez. Add in Pedro Leon and they should be all set in replacing Brantley.

Any move they make should be focused on this season and being more than marginal. So it would surprise me if they made a move for a position player unless there’s an injury. That said, I think Daulton Varsho from Arizona is uniquely suited to complement this roster and I would be willing to overpay to add him.

In the end I think they’ll make a move for a reliever and be mentioned for SP but ultimately stand pat in the rotation and lineup.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Is there a way to post a poll on this site?

I would be interested to see the results:

Who plays more innings at 1B for the Astros in 2023

1) Yuli Gurriel
    2) J.J. Matijevic
    3) Taylor Jones
    4) Joe Perez
    5) other

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agree with this except if looking at the lineup, I'd look for 2-4 year solutions (or longer). I think the Astros have a great team and will likely continue to be for the next 2-4 years health willing.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When you click on Create Thread, scroll down and you should see Post a Poll.

mikol13 and IdStrosfan like this.
  17. SuraGotMadHops

Yanier Diaz and Korey Lee both get reps at Catcher and 1B. By 2024 between Diaz and Lee 1B and C will be covered, in whatever order.

Also, my sleeper Catcher of the future is......JC Correa?? So far he is hitting respectably for a catcher in high A ball. If he continues learning the position that will free things up for Lee and Diaz to play more 1B since they project to be better hitters.

They may pull the plug on Scott Manea though, he is struggling pretty hard at AAA.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't know about Yainer Diaz. The Astros didn't even protect him from the rule 5 draft in the offseason after he was mashing last season. I don't know how they feel about his defense and calling games. They got very lucky that the rule 5 draft was canceled because the lockout lasted so long. They probably would have lost a couple players.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think they like Diaz

I think they gambled that no MLB team would pick a CATCHER that is not plus defensively and had not played above A ball and keep him on the roster all year.

The fact that he needs defensive development and is a catcher were big factors in them not protecting him.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

That's why I said I don't know about Diaz.

I wonder if they will gamble and not protect him again.

Several guys are also eligible for the rule 5 including these guys that are locks to be protected....

Hunter Brown, Korey Lee, and Emanuel Valdez