1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texas Governor's Race

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ryan_98, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Beto is too far left for Texas. Democrats here need to find strong, charismatic blue-dog democrats who shoot guns, wear cowboy boots and drink beer to run.

ROCKSS, jiggyfly and rocketsjudoka like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or a celebrity.

I’m generally not a fan of celebrity candidates but there should’ve been more of a draft McConaughey effort. The Republicans were able to crack the hold the Democrats had in CA with Schwarzenegger so that might be what it takes to crack Texas.

You would think that failing to show basic competence during a disaster like what happened during the freeze would doom a governor but apparently that’s not enough. Nor not showing basic empathy and resolve during a mass shooting like Uvalde. Heck at this point Abbott could shoot someone in the middle of Sixth Street and still be re-elected.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes, going by the crowd sizes, one candidate clearly has more support. What we know is that when you have bigger crowds, the only explanation for losing would be massive widespread voter fraud.

CCorn likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely not true in Trump's case. That dude bragged about his crowds and got his ass kicked, and the only fraud going on was the election lies coming out of Trump and his corrupt associates' mouths.

5. Xerobull

A celeb would garner a certain demo of votes but could backfire, lots of material for the GOP to dig up and/or twist.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

TheFreak likes this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

McConaughey showed his butt in a movie. That’s not in line with texas values.

ROCKSS, jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.
  8. Xerobull

He was a chain-smoking alcoholic crooked cop in True Detective, so a gain there. Plus he sells crappy American cars.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

“I was a governor long before I ran for governor”.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

attention whores like this kid are so annoying

he gets his 2 seconds of Twitter fame I guess

deb4rockets likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

here’s more from the attention thot…

boy, if u don’t get your dumbass back to class…

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

crowd size means nothing…Beto has no chance in TX

Abbot’s approval rating is probably over 50% as I type this

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yes. But the Dank Brandon has risen.

jiggyfly and Reeko like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol Dank Brandon…I like it

Beto winning TX is about as likely as Toyota Center being full at tip off

LondonCalling and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

50 - 60 hours a week is non-standard, but it is not "slave labor" especially when over time is tracked and compensated.

Neither the Dallas News article nor the secondary Oxfam link come anywhere close to describing any aspect of operations shift work with oil and gas refining or pipeline operations. Continuous energy supply requires continuous operations and staff work. They are doing a block of morning shifts, a block of evening shifts and then getting that same amount of days off.

https://www.arnolditkin.com/blog/work-accidents/12-hour-shift-schedules-pros-cons-of-the-most-co/

Nobody doubts that a confederate border state with a top-5 population and an identity based on two separate white rebellions to confiscate hispanic land and black labor has a good employment record; but refineries, gas pipelines and power plants are not the place any serious person would look outside of inherent safety risks.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

So Beto needs to promise to give everyone $1 beers and hotdogs?

Xerobull likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it's not really slave labor, bit it hard for anyone with a family. I know for a fact that most of the mechanics jobs at anything other than the refineries themselves work their guys 50 to 60 hours a week on a regular basis, and they work 6 days a week more than not. Lots of those jobs require being on call a lot too, and it isn't an option. Sure, it's not like working in a Chinese factory, but it's a hard way to make a living working for companies that roll in the dough and work their guys like that, especially for skilled workers, whose value to them isn't recognized and appreciated.

I haven't heard of any compressor repair company that doesn't work their guys like that, and the reason they work so many hours is because they hire contractors to fill in when 50 to 60 hours won't get a job done on time. That's how they avoid paying benefits. They wouldn't have to work guys like that if they just hired more people. Regardless, if Texas labor laws were better, companies couldn't use and abuse workers to make big profits.

18. CCorn

CCorn Member

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

it would be nice to know how much of that is in-state donations from Texans who will be voting

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Some weird reason texas republicans are always asking Californians to give them money.