1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Die in a fire because he couldn't coach teenagers to glory? Guy needs to chill

Super unremarkable hire. Nothing to get excited about and nothing to get too mad about. It's just another mediocre coach for a mediocre franchise.

The process was a complete failure and everyone involved should be mocked endlessly but the result is so middling it doesn't matter.

Makes the David Culley hire look out of the box.

Will be most interesting to see when the next coaching search will be and whether Nick is still here by then.

I'm going to guess Lovie lasts 2 seasons and then he "retires" to another role within the organization. I think Nick will be trying his best to get fired between now and then so he can get his full pay. Costanza levels of misbehaving is best case scenario.

Cal is unfit to run a team. He got tricked by a comedy pastor. Any defenders of this team are ripe for grifting and I have a muscle shake that is really going to help them all round into shape. No exercise needed, just drink em down 12 a day and you'll be ripped by Christmas.

RayRay10, IBTL, STR8Thugg and 5 others like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Dude, and I mean this respectfully…How do we know it’s Nick’s method to madness? How do we know Nick actually has any power? We just don’t know for sure. If he is the one making these moves, he’s not the guy.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

There's nothing worthwhile here for a bright young football mind of any color.

Joining this franchise is like signing up to get addicted to heroin. It won't end well for you.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep. You end up losing your family, your teeth and smelling badly. That’s all I got on the heroin metaphor. Don’t worry, the 2pm show will be completely different from the 1pm show. o_O

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, it's a college job though. He was stupid and arrogant like a lot of NFL coaches when they go to college. Recruiting matters so much and NFL coaches are rarely prepared for it.

Nook and Major like this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Can you name another former NFL head coach who failed at college... and then was given another job as an NFL head coach?

I'm sure there's been at least one example... but would be curious to see the context around that as well.

8. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Nick: You will have no say in the offense. You will not help with the offensive scheme. You have experience as a head coach so I don't think you will make bone-headed penalty/time out/ clock management decisions. Oh by the way. Roster decisions are mine. Not yours. Mine. Agree?

Flores: Go **** yourself

Lovie: Sure thing!

Fulgore and Major like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I get your overall point and yes it is true but if you really think about it it’s not true at the same time.

Lovie HC
    Pep over Kelly as OC
    New defensive coordinator I’m hearing rod marinelli but I want somebody younger Kris Richard possibly?

So I get your overall point but at the same time changes that needed to be made are being made most importantly is Pep as OC

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

At this rate making McCown the head coach looks better, at least the charade ends and the Texans finalize that they are a joke. I don't think it can go much lower than hiring McCown honestly, but at least it's quick if they do it now rather than drawing out the joke for 2 years with Lovie and THEN hiring McCown.

If you know your ship is sinking, might as well make it quick rather than prolong the torture.

Fulgore and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. justtxyank

Probably not because (other than Josh McCown lmao!) it normally takes a really long time to get an NFL HC job. So if you are going from NFL to college you're probably too old to come back after you fail.

Here are some solid NFL coaches who failed in college though:
    Mike Sherman
    Dave Wandstedt
    Bill Callahan
    Bill Walsh?

Jim Caldwell was a bad college coach wasn't he? Ended up as an NFL coach later in life.

It's not as common for NFL head coaches to end up jumping to college. Recruiting is a role that most NFL coaches don't want and if they are wildly successful in the NFL to make a college job want them, why are they leaving? Most of these guys go to mediocre or worse jobs in college because it's an alma mater situation or because they aren't getting the shot they want in the NFL.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But less fun and more damaging to one's reputation. :D

SWTsig and Ottomaton like this.
  13. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Lots of madness and no method.

So why fire their head coach in first place?

I'm just joking around. I hope you don't take this too seriously.

B-Bob and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. justtxyank

Just posted new thread. Rappaport says it's done, Texans finalizing deal to hire Lovie Smith.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

Lovie Smith is close to Josh McCown. Unlike David Culley, I think Lovie is taking this job with the full knowledge that he is a bridge to McCown in the most likely scenario.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Can't hire McCown without interviewing a minority candidate in person. Even with promotions at play. Will once again have to a have sham process.

Stephen66 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

IOW… there has never been a former NFL head coach who then failed at college… and then was given another chance to be an NFL head coach till now.

Maybe they should lead with that in the press conference… “making history”…

18. Major

Major Member

I'm now rooting for the Saints to go hire McCown as head coach just for the fun of it.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The meltdown by some supposed Texans fans and the 610 radio 10-2 pm show is hilarious tbh

Rudyc281 and Rockets FTW like this.
  20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah if it was Lovie all along, he would have been at the Senior bowl

Rudyc281 likes this.