1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

?

Failed head coach files a lawsuit alleging all kinds of isms looking for a payday, film at 11.

Is there really anything to comment about?

2. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

[​IMG]

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

vegas wouldn’t even accept odds on guessing Bobby opinion on a topic like this lol

TEXNIFICENT, Nook and Fulgore like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

He may just be looking at the landscape and realiziing he doesn't actually have a long future in the NFL. In the last 20 years, I believe Lovie Smith (2014) and Tony Dungy (2002) are the only black head coaches to get a 2nd opportunity and they had a ton of success in their first go-around. That said, in more recent years, that has largely been true of white head coaches too (McDaniels not withstanding) - most teams are going with young hotshots or college coaches or otherwise fresh faces.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Flores always has said the right things and said them with conviction, but I figured he was a phony like 99% of professional football coaches. Maybe he isn’t. He isn’t a stupid man and has to know he is throwing away his coaching future in the NFL. He is brave and I believe what he alleges. The Rooney rule has to be humiliating for black candidates.

noscrusir, whag00, UTSA2step and 3 others like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jim Caldwell

And Leslie Frazier will probably get opportunities too.

But you’re right, it’s the young offensive minds getting the jobs. Leftwich will get a shot soon

Major likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

I forgot about Caldwell - thanks! And yeah, if you look at this year's Final Four, hiring offensive minds seems to be the way to go. Probably even more so as you start getting more and more QB's with non-traditional skillsets to build offenses around.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Don't care" would be just too obvious.

9. conquistador#11

I think the league knows the sham interviews are an issue, which is why
    they've attempted to make it enticing with the rewarding of draft picks. Ravens got 2 3rd rounders for the Texajs hiring of Culley.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Teams that hire non-white head coaches should get an extra 3rd round pick.

11. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I have to say I wouldn’t want to be next one to announce their new head coach….

Especially if he’s a white boy with no coaching experience outside of a few games coaching his son’s high school game…. Just saying.

12. Major

Major Member

Culley needed to be fired, but it was because he should never have been hired in the first place. But I think we all know if the Texans had hired McCown last year or if they do this year, and he makes the same mistakes, he's not getting fired after one year.

jelanit, conquistador#11 and Nook like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The truth is it doesn't matter who the coach is. As long as the three stooges, Nicky Scissors, Jack the Ripper and Catnip Cal are running the show, this team will always be screwed

14. Nook

Nook Member

Frazier is like 63 years old and was a head coach like a decade ago.

Caldwell is nearly 70 years old. He last coached the Lions.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The Texans do not hold on to coaches for too long. Signed kubiak, obrian

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Where I think he’s wrong is the belief that this is intentional racism in the hiring practices. It’s more about it being a club. GMs get hired out of circles and they interview coaches in their circles too. Like how many times do we hear about John Carroll connection.

So it’s a situation where the same group of white people are hiring the same group of white people. Every now and then you have a GM who is either connected to non white people or genuinely goes outside of his comfort zone.

but again, when you hire someone outside of your circle and they aren’t superstars you’re quicker to fire them than if they had been your buddy. Like we all know Texans would give McCown more leash than Culley. Not because he’s white but because he’s Jacks boy.

Nook, UTSA2step, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I can't stand the idea of McClown as HC, but even I have confidence that he can compute letting a team score to have a chance and understand that getting a second shot at a 3rd down is better than punting bc you're frustrated.

"I took this job bc it's 1 of 32."

"We gotta go 3 and out and punt it? We're good"

"The most important thing about football is the footBALL."

Racial biases exist in the NFL, in spades. Bc the owners are mostly rich white dudes with inherent biases at best. But you're gonna have to do a lot better than David ****ing Culley.

If it was Jerrod Mayo, he wouldn't be getting fired after 1 year either. David Culley is a grandfather asked to babysit and he fell asleep and nearly burned the house down. Just GTFO with any defense of that ****ing clown. G.T.F.O.

ETA - 22 MILLION DOLLARS. ****.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

I think this is all true, except now you have a Rooney Rule violation if the Giants interview was a sham. Without that, I think most of his racial accusations are weak, but with it, it probably gives them enough info to go digging for all sorts of embarrassing things if the NFL doesn't settle. Bill Belichick really f***ed up. On a side note, how bad is it that he didn't know which Brian he was texting with?!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Correct, was saying Caldwell got multiple opportunities.
    There are also quite a few failed head coaches that are coordinators now.
    Frazier is hot name to get a head coaching job again. Along with Morris. And a few other young coordinators.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What are the chances that Jack's boy isn't white though? I understand not intentionally making it a black or white issue it's just that when you look at the statistics they just look bad for black head coaches.

UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.