1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Texans Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 13, 2022.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

2. gucci888

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans “coaching search”

[​IMG]

Nook, tmoney1101, TexasRedd and 15 others like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Mattician

Mattician Member

Culley was such an out of no where hire. Hopefully this year it's someone more exciting.

Fullcourt and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. gucci888

Wtf? Lombardi straight said that was what Flores said.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If they hire Flores it will be because he's a promising coach.

I don't think the texans are delusional enough to make it some play on getting Watson back. I think the organization has (and should) moved completely past the Watson stuff.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If no McDaniels the I want Mayo.

Flores seems like bill O’Brien 2.0

raining threes likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Search
    [​IMG]

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Reports: Texans don’t know what they want

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Both Flores and Mayo would be upgrade coaches - they want to keep Pep in the fold if possible and Caserio wants someone he knows and trusts in a working relationship - we know it’s either going to be McDaniels, Mayo or Flores with likelihood of keeping Pep - Regarding Flores I don’t think we’re doing this to keep Watson or appease him whatsoever because I think it’s about who is best for the job - Flores is a very good command coach with natural leadership similar to Vrabel - I am unsure of Mayo due to exp

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Check out this video on Mayo you will not be disappointed

houston19519, Shark44 and markus4040 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Let’s go Buffalo!!!!

16. Fantasma Negro

I like him now lol

Fulgore, Joshfast and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Work hard, put the team first.”

8:17 (What do you do when a member of the team won’t listen?) “…For the most part, I start yelling. That’s me, my approach. Guys understand that. I tell my players if you’re sensitive, this is gonna be a tough place for you because I’m pretty hard on my guys and expect a lot.”

9:48 (What leadership skills do you have to portray as a coach?) First thing for me as a coach is I have to lead by example. I want my guys in here early watching film, lifting weights, doing everything to reach their optimum level. I expect a lot from my players. I expect them to work hard, come in and do everything possible to help the team win. I expect them to put the team first. I can’t have selfish guys in my room. If you are, we’re gonna have an issue and I’m gonna try and get it out of you.”

4:22 “… I yell, I scream, I kinda go off at times but my guys know I love ‘em. I try to build those connections & that trust. … That works for me, I’m not gonna change. Gotta stick to my guns on that.”

6:23 “… I started in personnel. Scott Pioli hired me. Learned the inner workings of the personnel side. Went from personnel to special teams to offense to defense and worked my way up defensively. It’s not easy to work in New England but they get the best and most out of you. Fortunate to be there 15 years. Went by like that and learned a lot. … Bill does a good job of developing leaders.

8:01 (What did you learn from Bill or “That’s why Bill is amazing and king of football?) First one is preparation. No stone goes unturned. From a preparation standpoint, situational football, one of the things he does a great job of is we have guys doing the best…we’re taking guys strengths and trying not to put them in positions they’re not very good at. That’s important. …”

:45 “The violence of the game is something I enjoy. I’m a physical person by nature.”

3:32 “…We’ll try to create an environment where we’re tough, smart, dependable disciplined but also having fun.”

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would caserio's wife asking McDaniel's wife if he would accept an offer be considered tampering? Asking for Flores' wife.

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Thought Flores overachieved with the Dolphins. Can’t believe they fired him. Also can’t believe he would want to coach a 5-year rebuild in Houston…….unless he knows something we don’t and that Watson might stay if he’s hired. Before that happens though, I think Easterby would have to be shown the door if you believe that he was Watson’s primary beef

juanm34 and No Worries like this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Great find! I've always believed everything good or bad ties back to leadership. We need to develop and build better leaders for our country and our state. Mayo gets that and also understands that the greatest gift you can give to someone is helping them reach their potential.

I also like that he tried the business side for a bit, because that helped him broaden his perspective. I haven't seen much on Flores, so tough to compare, but I do like that piece on Mayo.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.