1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Season WS or bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketsjudoka, Sep 18, 2022.

?

2022 Season

1. Nothing less than a WS championship or a bust

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Nothing less than a WS appearance or a bust

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. No matter what it’s been a great season

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why do you think that there’s a correlation between who actually cheated and who got punished? That’s laughable at best. We know the dodgers were cheating, more then the astros. Are you trying to pretend that only the astros were doing that stuff? Even if you’re a dodgers fan, that’s embarrassing

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not at all...I am saying how Astros fans would have reacted if the situations were reversed. How can you not understand that? Astros fans would be thoroughly pissed off if they lost to the Dodgers and the Dodgers were the ones ratted out and made an example of.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don’t understand. The situation was the same for both teams, they were both doing the same stuff. Did the dodgers invest more into their sign stealing? Yes. Did they do it more? Sure. Who was ratted on makes no difference to me, I don’t care how the information came to light. We know the reality of what happened. The commissioner being a scumbag piece of garbage has no bearing on the reality of the situation

Stephen66 and King1 like this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The aftermath....

You do remember the Astros were ratted out by Fiers - correct? And the subsequent investigation, that was announced prior to the 2020 season, of the Astros determined the level of their cheating - correct. And rightly or wrongly, no other team was investigated and punished as thoroughly as the Astros - correct? And the Astros have become the whipping boy and pariah of MLB - correct? And the vast majority of the fans across MLB continue to complain about that and say their WS championship is tainted - correct?

Now many Astro fans absolve the Astros because everyone was doing it, but the Astros just happened to be the ones caught.

Now, let's go back in time. Assume the Dodgers did the exact same thing the Astros did and in doing so won the 2017 WS. They were subsequently ratted out, investigated and punished in the exact same way the Astros were.

As an Astros fan would you exonerate the Dodgers because every team was doing it and you would simply offer the Dodgers kudos for winning the 2017 WS OR, would you be complaining about them and saying how they didn't really win the WS and the Astros were cheated out of it?

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I didn’t care about the sign stealing stuff at the time, why would i care about it now? I just don’t care what a scumbag corrupt piece of garage does, it has no bearing on reality. I only care about reality, not what one scumbag does or what some idiot fans of other teams think. Was I annoyed about the yankees stealing signs in the wild care game? Of course, but once i learned everyone did it i stopped caring

King1 likes this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Do you really believe that the players do not recognize that Yuli is struggling badly and needs help. I sat down and calculated War per game for the players last night and it really jumped out at me that Yuli's contribution to this team is negative. Every time he is played instead of someone else the teams chances to win are reduced. Read that sentence again. Every time Yuli is played instead of someone else the teams chances to win are reduced. If you do nothing to try and help him the best thing for the team is to keep him out of the game. I do not believe anybody on this team would deny him an opportunity to regain some of his previous stature. Nor do I think he would turn down the chance. The players all want to win, as does Yuli. I do not know how Dusty or any scandle got into this conversation. this is about giving the team (all of them) the best opportunity to reach their goal.

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That is exactly what happened the very next season.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think your premise is extremely flawed:
    1) He most certainly is getting every resource available offered to him already. They're not idiots.
    2) Sending him away is not an opportunity to regain his stature. Letting him play and work through his problems is the opportunity to regain his stature.

Sending him to instructs now would be crazy insulting to do to a veteran. It'd be the equivalent of telling him to go sit in the corner and put on a dunce cap. That would not sit well with anyone.

The 2022 Astros play like a cohesive team (much of that I credit to Dusty). They win as a team, they lose as a team. I'm sure Astros players understand Yuli is struggling but I would bet anything that none of them blame Yuli individually. Nor do they blame Urquidy for yesterday. Good teams pick up their weakest players.

There's an argument to be made for benching Yuli, it just doesn't appear the Astros agree with it.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Saying The Astros cheated is a hard reach, they weren't caught paying the umpire to call strikes.. They weren't caught taking body enhancing drugs..... They weren't caught with corked bats. They were just using technology to do something that has always been doing in baseball.... Its actually part of it...

If it happened the other way around I'd have the same exact view of it, because everyone was doing it and there is absolutely no way to safely assume The Astros would have won any of those games had The Dodgers been picking signs.... Just because you know what's coming, or think you know whats coming still does not mean you will hit it. Players guess all the time, get the guess right and still miss... Pitchers tip their pitches all the time, players pick up on it and still strikeout.... Astros won the World Series, no ands ifs or buts.....

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Letting him play and work through his problems is not working. It has been tried all season. It is time to try something else.
    These are not children. Nobody is blaming anybody. Everybody struggles. Everybody ages and must learn to adapt. These guys are acutely aware of it because they know it will happen to them one day too. It is the managers function to give the entire team it's best chance to win. If a player is making it more difficult for the team to win for whatever reason it is the manager's responsibility to do something to ameliorate that situation. He might try any number of things but ignoring the problem is not among them. Yuli is most likely done. He deserves a little extra effort and should get it. In the end Dusty will have to do his job. Sitting Gurriel when the time comes will be difficult for everyone involved but the team will move ahead as is always the case.[/QUOTE]

#30 BlindHog, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A like just for use of a Judo term.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don’t get all the hate for Dusty. He wasn’t brought in because he is a lineup genius but because he was a very well respected figure with a history of being a player’s manager. He’s been successful lifting the team morale even when they’ve been feeling the ire of the rest of the MLB.

xcrunner51 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If things were reversed yes I would be very pissed at the Dodgers but I admit when to comes to the Astros I am very biased.

Anyway as others were pointing out the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox were all cheating too. Because the Stros aren’t one of the MLB blue bloods it was easy to make them the scapegoats.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

World Series Champs or bust. Ask the players the same question. What would they say?

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What do you mean you WOULD be pissed if things were reversed? ARE you pissed the dodgers were cheating all those years? Are you pissed boston was? or the yankees? or colorado? or arizona? or whoever else?

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’m not really pissed at the Dodgers or Yankees because we beat them. If we had lost to them yes I would be pissed

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

are you mad at boston for 2018?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Most of us, when honest, feel that way.

But take the hypothetical one step further.

Say,
    We lost to the Dodgers or Yankees, found out they cheated, but also determined your own team was cheating.

Now THAT is closer to the truth.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not so much since we got them back last year.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would probably be pissed at them but I admit to being very Stros biased.