1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think they will want to add another arm to the pen. Britton could be low cost coming back from injury and is a proven high-leverage reliever. That is why I like him. I don't think they will spend more than $4-5M though.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros should bring back Mancini. He really looks to fit in and brings a RH power bat behind Tucker the team needs ( and Tucker needs)

With 5 of 13 position player spots being FA its not practical to fill all of them with veterans. At least 2 of the spots will likely go to rookies/unproven young players.

I think Hensley has a big opportunity to replace Diaz due to his versatility.

Matijevic also has an advantage since he is the only LH hitter among the candidates, though I like Taylor Jones' defense better. I feel like the organization does not see J.J. as more than a DH and possible 1B.

I think the Astros think their long term CF is in the organization, whether that is Meyers, Leon, Barber, Gilbert, Melton or someone else.

Because of that I do not see them bringing in a FA CF except possibly a 1-2 year bridge guy. No big name that will be looking for 3+ years.

I expect Meyers and Leon to battle for the spot in the spring with a veteran brought in to push them ( like they did with Brinson this year and Souza last year).

I see a very similar situation at catcher with K.Lee and a marginal veteran. Berryhill and Diaz could be included but would really need to impress behind the plate to win that battle.

I think Chas has earned a roster spot, though it is likely platoon LF and 4th OF. Him in that role is actually very strong for the Astros

My prediction for the 13:

Maldy, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Chas, Tucker, Alvarez already givens. Dubon has earned a spot too.

B/u C) I predict a veteran Ibhaven't thought of wins and Lee starts the season back at AAA if he isn't traded.

1B) I think they will resign Mancini.

CF) I think Meyers is finally completely recovered from the shoulder injury and shows his 2021 form. Leon goes back to AAA but plays quite a bit later in the year due to injury or if Chas or Meyers are traded in season.

Hensley wins a bench spot replacing Diaz.

Matijevic gets the final spot backing up Mancini and DH vs RHP when Yordan plays LF.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Among the rookies we might depend on, I think Yainer Diaz makes a lot of sense at 1B & possibly backup catcher. Hensley should get some ABs in September to see if he can fill Diaz's role. I think they'll keep Kory Lee at AAA getting regular playing time.

Chas should definitely be the 4th OF. Offensively he'd be a good platoon with Tyler Naquin. Factoring in defense though, Kevin Kiermaier is a great fit. I like Adam Duvall the most though because he has experience at 1B, so he has the most potential flexibility for us, especially if we don't sign a 1B.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And to be clear, the Yankees have the most valuable franchise. They should be capable of spending more than other franchises. - This is how they established dynasties and hid players in their minors when there were no restrictions. It created a competitive imbalance. It is the reason for FA and CBT. It started looking like the Harlem Globetrotters vs The Washington Generals. And expansion made it even worse.

#104 Marshall Bryant, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Who are the candidates for Manager?

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think there are only 2 options

1) Joe Espada

2) Dusty Baker.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2023:

7 players under contract: Maldy $5M, Altuve $23.357M, Bregman $20M, Alvarez $19.167M, McCullers $17M, Pressly $15M, Neris $8.5M.

$108.024M total.

Agree with 6 players arb eligible: Tucker $8M, Framber $7.5M, Stanek $5M, Javier $2M, Urquidy $2M, Dubon $1.2M

Other arb eligible non tendered: James, Maton, Bielak.

$25.7M total.

Garcia made $1.2M in 2022 despite not yet arb eligible. Let's say he gets $1.5M.

10 players not yet arb eligible. ( K.Lee, Pena, McCormick, Meyers, 2 bench spots, Taylor, S.Martinez, Abreu, 1 bullpen spot) $.72M is min. Let's say $7.5M total.

$2.25M 40 man minors

$1.668 1-3 yr bonus pool.

$16.5M "benefits"

$1.25M Mancini and Smith buy outs.

Equals: $164.392.

Sign JV = 3yr/$120M
    Sign Mancini 3yr/$45M

$55M

Payroll: $219.392

CBT threshold $232M

$12.608M available for another bat or bullpen arm or to use at trade deadline.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Man. I really can’t wait to see Mancini in the postseason. He’s just got IT. Hopefully Dusty plays him everyday.

9. HTown2017Champs

With how hot he's been hitting, combined with probable pressure from Click, I fully expect him to.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Never underestimate a STUBBORN MULE.

~BTW, nice ICE job on Hensley.~

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Every time I heard "Tucker extends" I had a brief moment of pure joy. Then they said "his hitting streak" and, while I should still be happy, was a little deflated.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It's time Yordan is considered a LF who DHs a couple of times per week, not a DH who plays LF a couple of times per week.

I would love to see a platoon with him and Chas in LF next year.

2023:
    Vs RHP
    Altuve 2B
    Bregman 3B
    Yordan LF
    Mancini 1B/DH
    Tucker RF
    Pena SS
    Matijevic ( or veteran LH power bat) DH/1B
    Meyers/Leon CF
    Maldy/K.Lee C

Vs LHP
    Altuve 2B
    Bregman 3B
    Yordan DH
    Mancini 1B
    Tucker RF
    McCormick LF
    Pena SS
    Meyers/Leon CF
    Maldy/K Lee C

Marshall Bryant and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Other than wanting Vasquez back, I like this.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Relievers are so Jekyll/Hyde, it's hard to base anything on a short history.

Wulaw Horn and No Worries like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Playoff roster.

13 position players:

( assuming these players are healthy and Meyers has lost any chance)

C) Maldy and Vazquez

Inf) Yuli, Altuve, Alex, Pena

OF) Yordan, Chas, Tucker

DH) Mancini.

A.Diaz is a lock and Dubon is the only backnup for CF so they make the roster. ( Tucker has not played an inning in CF this year and the organization has said over and over they won't play him there)

That leaves 1 spot.

Matijevic, Y.Diaz, and Hensley.

Who gets the spot and why?

marks0223 likes this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

My guess is Y. Diaz. There may be games where they consider pinch hitting Vazquez earlier in a game for Maldy so having an emergency catcher makes that decision easier. Might also consider having Vazquez DH some in the playoffs with Diaz on the roster. Lets see if they have Vazquez DH some in September.

right1 likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Lee over Diaz, since you want your emergency catcher to actually catch.

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That leaves 1 spot.
    Matijevic, Y.Diaz, and Hensley.
    Who gets the spot and why?[/QUOTE]
    13 Play-off Position Players
    Catchers
    Catcher: M Maldonado
    Bench Catcher: C Vázquez
    Infielders
    1st Base: Y Diaz / Y Gurriel (defensive replacement)
    2nd Base: J Altuve
    Short Stop: J Pena
    3rd Base: A Bregman
    Bench Infielder: A Diaz
    Bats
    Designated Hitter: Y Alvarez / T Mancini
    Bench Bat: Y Gurriel / Y Diaz
    Outfielders
    Left Field: T Mancini / Y Alvarez
    Center Field: C McCormick
    Right Field: K Tucker
    Bench Out Fielder: M Dubon

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Small sample size alert, Will Smith has gone 17 batters without walking anybody (only 2 total since we got him) and has a 3.27 ERA with us.

His struggles were because he couldn't find the strike zone. I'm not throwing a party for our newfound weapon, but it's very promising results for a guy who is postseason proven.

Also, in a case of relievers make no sense, Phil Maton has been pitching well, and he's sucked at the same time.

Maton's ERA on July 13 was 3.65, with a 5.58 FIP

Since then Maton has an awful 5.40 ERA...and a 1.86 FIP

#119 sealclubber1016, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Solomon and Goodrum off of the 40 man to make room for Brown and Diaz.