1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Rizzo is eligible for a qualifying offer. If he opts out I expect the Yankees to give him the qualifying offer and it would make him far less attractive to the Astros.

Bell and Abreu are not eligible for qualifying offers.

astros123 likes this.
  2. htownbball

htownbball Member

His average over the past 2 years scares me, but the numbers say he's still barreling balls at the same rate as his prime, his strikeouts are around the same, and his exit velocities are the same too. So not sure what explains the drop in batting average at first glance

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It could simply be the approach the Yankees are asking of him? Would definitely be interested, but he will probably cost more than the WAR he would actually put up here.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Eight guys I wouldn’t mind Click going after in free agency (ranked)

1. Verlander SP
    2. Abreu 1B/DH
    3. Bell 1B
    4. Benintendi LF
    5. Gurriel 1B/IF Reserve
    6. Montero RP
    7. Brantley DH/LF
    8. Drury 1B/IF

If JV and/or Montero left, I’d be bummed but still fill there’s enough excellent pitching and would pump that money big time into position players.

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

For the people wanting Rizzo, should his injuries be a concern? His recent one was his back and back issues are scary. Also he started to get headaches but it might have been the treatment he got for his back but that was what the Yankees were thinking.

But I kind of want all the players to return to defend their title. Obviously that's not going to happen. Verlander and Montero might be too pricey. They have cheaper options for Diaz. Brantley, Gurriel, Mancini, Vazquez possibly won't be back. If players leave and Astros are interested in free agents, hopefully players see what they're doing and would want to come to Houston. Maybe if it's not too much, they'll settle for a cheaper offer from Houston then a bigger offer from another team. I can see Abreu because he wants to win and maybe Bell, to be close to home.

astros123 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yes.

punkoholic and rpr52121 like this.
  7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This year's team had a knack for having a few guys get the exact clutch hit at the exact right time. You definitely need some of that luck to win 106 games and a title, but there are just too many outs in the line up to bank on that playing out exactly like that again next year. Especially if now Bregman's finger injury is worse than expected. Finger ligament injuries can be tricky for batters, and it just took him nearly a full season to get over his prior wrist injury.

1. The Astros had some injury luck during regular season compared the league average, and most of the games lost were probably to the pitchers and Brantley where they had some depth to withstand it.
    2. Unlikely to replicate this seasons bullpen success. A few of the guys may do so, but definitely not all of them.
    3. Unlikely for JV and Framer who both maintained historic metrics during the regular season to match them next season.
    4. I think Seattle will actually challenge for the division next year, so a guaranteed bye will be less likely.
    5. you have to back to the 98-00 Yankees and the 88-90 Athletics for the last franchises to reach the WS in 3 consecutive years, neither having to play as many playoff rounds with random chance as the Astros will have to.

Plus teams like Seattle, Toronto, Dodgers, Braves, Padres, and Cardinals will be trying to get better. Cannot just stand pat.

astros123 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I’d bet money JV is back after postgame comments from Crane and JV. It’s apparently priority #1. Crane is smart. He knows you do not let a hall of fame pitcher, who is still very much at the top of his game, just leave. You do everything you can to retain him. It’s not even just about what JV does on the days he starts. It also about how he leads this pitching staff off the field.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I agree. We have so much payroll coming off the books. Tons of extra money from the WS win. If we don’t retain Verlander and sign at least one impact bat then crane is not serious about competing.

SooneRockStro likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

*checks clock*

So it took approximately 5 hours for this to be a thing?

joshuaao, Rileydog, marks0223 and 6 others like this.
  11. raining threes

I'm for bringing back Vazquez to be the everyday catcher,

Yuli to be the everyday 1B with Yanier as the guy that develops to replace Yuli. If this doesn't workout make another deal for a 1B at the deadline.

12. raining threes

^^^^
    This

I forgot about Nimmo, I would bring him in and let Brantley walk if it comes down to it. BTW, I love Uncle Mike. But an everyday CF is just too valuable. I also would be good with running Chas out in LF and hoping one of Leon or Dirden can be the 4th OF.

Wulaw Horn and astros123 like this.
  13. raining threes

Vazquez is that #6 guy and keep Yuli as Yanier learns, or make another trade at the deadline. In fact you could platoon Yuli with Hensley and let Dubon/Leon share the utility role. They have enough depth in the minors that a trade also could be in play to fill these voids. I just look at Vazquez as a solid fit and a guy who immediately will do a good job handling the pitching stsff.

14. raining threes

What do they predict Vazquez's salary to be?

15. conquistador#11

Would Rizzo be good just DH'ing? What about getting JD Martinez as a DH at a discounted price?
    If Verlander wants to move on, I'm good with it. He's earned it. Why would you want to leave tho' ?

I'm just going to enjoy the championship let the get money bois worry about the acquisitions.

16. mightybosstone

No one's paying Yuli $15 million next year. If he's willing to make close to half that to come back as a platoon guy at 1B and more of a bench/pinch hit weapon, I'd take that for sure. I'd love for Yuli to retire an Astro, but I think we all know he can't be the everyday 1B moving forward.

I'd love to see Uncle Mike come back, but as others have noted, Nimmo as a guy who could play CF and LF would be more attractive and he's obviously younger. Vasquez is the guy who maybe intrigues me the most. Contreras would be amazing, but Vasquez will make far less while still being an impact bat and excellent defensively. Maldy is awesome, but not having a black hole in the lineup when Vasquez is playing is really, really nice.

astros123 and Elienator like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

raining threes likes this.
  18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

In order to maintain our championship window, we absolutely cannot allow emotion and sentiment to influence our roster construction. Not doing so has been what has made the Astros different over the last 5 years and has created our window. We didn't sign Springer. We didn't sign Cole. We didn't sign Correa. If we want to be celebrating more World Series runs, the smart move is to not sign older players to big money deals. Sadly, this includes Verlander and Gurriel, two members of the 2017-2022 run and two great human beings. It's hard. But staying disciplined and "on strategy" with our process is difficult. But it's what sets us apart. Despite our amazing run, we definitely have needs to plug in our roster... and young players to extend. That's where the offseason money should be allocated.

19. Elienator

Elienator Member

Verlander is not signing a 10 year contract like Cole. The Astros can pay him and still go out and get some big time free agents while looking to extend some of their pitching or Tucker.

If Yuli wants to come back for a reasonable price as platoon option / veteran leader, great. He won’t be the starting first baseman though.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If JV gets 3 years 120 I would probably let him go. Try to get someone to field the DH spot and keep some relievers. He kind of struggles in the Postseason and this teams goal should be WS or bust. We have 5 or 6 solid starting caliber pitchers. Framber is looking like an ace and so is javier.

Wulaw Horn and conquistador#11 like this.