1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

LOL...and all 4 of them will play 1B and DH at the same time.

Brillitant!!!

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Any of those 4 guys I guess is technically correct use of the language.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And if Hunter Brown sucks?

You pencil in a "stud" prospect as if that means anything concrete. Your plan could end up with 2 extra massive holes to fill midseason, and that's assuming no injuries.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We have 15 prospects with an ETA of 2022 or 2023 to sort out including 7 pitchers. Brown is just at the top of the list. BTW, no player is concrete from PA to PA, M to M or YR to YR. We're playing with probabilities, not certainty in baseball.

It;s not unlike playing the odds at Vegas. Every day there are winners and losers. But the House wins almost every day because it plays the odds.

#44 Marshall Bryant, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  5. Landry's Tooth

Got it, never use rookies ever...

It's a clown move to complain about a hole in the lineup created by plugging two other holes but there you are... own it...

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yes, I don't want to go into a season with unproven hitters at 1B,LF,and CF with a weak C and possibly weak offensive SS while I'm trying to win a title, I'm weird like that.

You want to trade a starter, fine, you sure as hell don't do it without getting a quality major league player back. I wish we lived in your world where plugging in a prospect automatically means the position if filled for the forseeable future.

#46 sealclubber1016, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    everyday eddie likes this.
  7. Screaming Fist

So if Maton continues to suck does Click bite the bullet and finally send Brown up with the idea of using him in the pen for the post-season? Can't imagine you'd want to carry Maton or Smith for that matter on a post-season roster unless you have no other choice.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the big bat they bring in for 2023 needs to be switch or LH which works for Bell and against Mancini.

Matijevic has not had much of a chance but not really proven much and Dirden doesn't have hardly any AAA experience are the only LH options at Sugar Land.

This roster is very RH bat heavy.

No Worries and jim1961 like this.
  9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Have said this in other threads, but having Maton and Smith (4.47 and 4.43 ERAs respectively) in the back of the bullpen isn't the worst thing in the world. I'd be pretty surprised if Brown was called up and was immediately able to outperform that in the playoffs.

Yes, they're both prone to the big inning but at least Maton throws a fair amount clean innings too. If they're getting lots of innings, that's problematic in and of itself.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

For the playoffs:

Verlander, Framber, Javier, and either McCullers or Urquidy need to be rested and sharp.

Garcia and either Urquidy or McCullers are the multi innings guys if a starter does not go 5.

Pressly, Montero, Neris, and Stanek are 7th, 8th, and 9th guys.

Abreu is the Ace in the hole who pitches any role when one other guys need a rest.

One other pitcher is needed to pick up innings in blow outs ( either direction) and save the bullpen. Martinez is my preference but it could be Maton as either way he is unlikely to impact a W or L.

Smith will probably be on the roster as " the lefty" I just hope Dusty sticks to his philosophy of not taking jobs away from the established guys to play the new guy. He can sit in the bullpen and not be needed

11. htownbball

htownbball Member

Would there be any appetite for resigning Aledyms and having him be our primary 1B but also start some in LF and 2B?

Yordan The Great likes this.
  12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No. He hasn't played close to a full season since 2018 when he was with Toronto. In his 4 years in Houston, the most games he's played is 84.

I enjoy him as a solid to slightly above average hitting utility guy. Don't see him in a full-time role, much less at heavy-bat position like 1B.

everyday eddie and BlindHog like this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Don't be a hypocrite... we had unproven situations at ss and 1b this year. Garcia, Javier, Urquidy, and Valdez were unproven over the past 3 years. McCullers is a huge question for this season.

You pretend there are never any questions on good teams... it's naive...

Sorry, but i trust our talent evaluators...

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Hensley joins the Astros just before today's game.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Trade Framber? LOL

PuzzledFan, white lightning and YOLO like this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, if JV is back for multiple years and you really believe in Brown it’s worth discussing. He’s an all star with 3 years of club control. If you could get an all star CF with multiple years of club control I’d think about it. That would still leave you with:
    JV/LMJ/Javier/Urquidy/garcia/Brown. That’s a really really good rotation. If you got back a serious dude in CF I’m at least thinking about it.

17. Landry's Tooth

Pay Framber lol?

18. Landry's Tooth

Corbin Carroll was going off in AA.... 5 tool top 20 prospect in baseball. You get him and a good prospect at a need position you have to consider it..

If the scouts think Daulton Varsho is your everyday 1B next year and Carroll likely opening day cf, you have to think about it...

If Berrios fetched Austin Martin and SWR and had half the club control, Framber should fetch similar...

Verlander
    McCullers
    Javier
    Garcia
    Urquidy
    Brown

That's 6 guys if Verlander is back. Replacing Framber with cheaper guys helps make that happen.

I would defer to what our scouts see...

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Brown is a 50/50 proposition. On normal teams, your 5th starter can be a guy you are developing for the future. On teams with serious championship aspirations, ...

Signing JV this offseason or not will have a dramatic impact on roster composition next year, especially the pitching staff.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Framber is one of the best pitchers in the league. Idiotic to trade him away while still on an affordable deal. He has 20 quality starts in a row which is amazing. As great as Verlander has been, and I advocate re-signing him, he is 40 years old and McCullers gets hurt every year. Framber has been consistent and durable. If you are going to trade a starting pitcher it will be Garcia, Urquidy, or Javier (wouldn’t be a fan of trading Javier).