1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Not paying attention to Chandler Rome, Sean Salisbury, and Lance Zierlein?

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Jake Meyers is really making a case to be on the playoff roster.

I expect 14 position players to be included.

Maldonado, Vazquez, Gurriel, Mancini, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, A.Diaz, McCormick, Alvarez, and Tucker are locks.

That leaves 3 spots from:
    K.Lee
    Y Diaz
    Matijevic
    Dubon
    Hensley
    Meyers

( Joe Perez has no chance)

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Meyers, Lee and Hensley if I’m making the decision.

4. CinematicFusion

I still think the Astros go with 13 pitchers but maybe just 12 for the ALDS

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

At this point I would take the unknown of Meyers over Dubon.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Only negative is it costs you positional flexibility. And I guess if you absolutely needed a ball in play, Dubon strikes out less, but they've been equally terrible offensively and Meyers is our best defensive option in CF with Siri traded.

7. vince

vince Member

I see that Myers is playing very well at AAA sugar land.

I wonder why they haven’t called him up yet. Especially To see where he’s at in terms of hitting ML quality pitchers.

Astros have had their share of AAAA baseball players, hopefully Myers can get the bat on the ball when he gets called up. Because the Astros could sure use a quality bat in the OF that doesn’t sacrifice defense when he’s playing.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I really don't see position flexibility as a need with A.Diaz on the roster. Diaz can play every position Dubon plays, except CF which would be covered by Jake.

But I don't see Jake taking a spot from Dubon. I would expect Diaz and Dubon both to still make the team.

Hensley is the potential guy I expect Jake to replace if it happens.

9. CinematicFusion

If we play Jays, pitching might look like this. Big key is Jays would be using 3/4 starter depending on how long WC series goes.

Game one: Verlander vs Stripling 3.16 or Berrios 5.27 depending if WC goes 2/3.

Game Two: Framber vs Manoah 2.31

Game Three: McCullers/Javier. Vs Gausman 3.30

Game Four: Verlander vs Stripling 3.16

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. juicystream

David Hensley is definitely trying to make a case for Aledmys Diaz's job next season. I'd love to have Diaz back though on a $5-$8M deal for next year.

11. Qan

Qan Member

You don't think he's going to demand 10mil+? I just have a feeling he will want as much. He'll probably demand a 2 or 3 year $25mil+, especially if he performs well this playoffs.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Regardless of numbers in limited PAs, I love the quality of PAs. It's almost like the best of Aledmys, Michael and Bregman rolled into one player. I have no idea if it will continue, but I want to find out.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Spotrac values Aledmys at $4.6M. I wouldn't go much higher. Brantley's down to ~$8M. I would take a chance on either at that valuation. But I don't know if that would be acceptable to them.

If not, time to move on.

Gurriel I'd like to keep in a Front Office capacity, not as a player. Once again. this might not be acceptable to him.

#393 Marshall Bryant, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I was thinking Aledmys was in the $5M range.

I am just speculating but he may want someplace where he can compete to be a starter. I don't think his body can hold up to that workload.

Let me be clear- I like Diaz and think he is a very valuable player.

This is Correa all over again to me ( on a much smaller scale).

With Hensley waiting in the wings younger, cheaper, and more durable it will take a very team friendly discount to keep him.

As for Brantley I could see a 1 year prove it deal to rotate LF/DH with he, Yordan, and Chas.

He would basically platoon with Chas.

LF: vs RHP- Yordan 67%, Brantley 33%
    vs LHP- Chas

DH: vs RHP- Yordan 33%, Brantley 67%
    vs LHP- Yordan

This may delay the development and take a roster spot from a guy like Meyers, Leon, or Yanier Diaz so the team may elect to not go this direction.

Only so many spits on the roster.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is PURE speculation.

If the Astros were offered a trade this off season of Gallen, entering his first arbitration year, for Brown, with 6 years of CC, would you do it? I don't have an answer, just a question.

16. juicystream

What he wants and what he gets are 2 separate things. If he is able to get the kind of contract that Marwin got from the Twins, I wouldn't be interested.
    That 2/$9.2M valuation they give is about right, IMO. I'm more interested in a 1 year deal, but expect he'll look for a 2-3 year deal since it is likely his only chance for one.

I wouldn't want Brantley back on a guaranteed deal. Minor League NRI only. He was already a pretty limited player and injury prone. Coming back from his shoulder injury and another year older, he may not have anything left. Especially power-wise. I love what he brings to the table in terms of quality ABs, but it is hard to be a bat-only player that may not reach double digits in HR. And it really sucks to say, because Michael Brantley is exactly the type of hitter MLB needs. Guys that make consistent quality contact rather than striking out 25% of the time.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. juicystream

100% Yes.

18. Qan

Qan Member

Love Brantley, and its great seeing him in the bench with the guys...but he's shot. Surgery and age has taken its toll and its time to move forward in another direction with him. Wouldn't want him to take up a roster spot honestly.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Straight up would get the D-Backs GM fired.

Obviously any other players involved ( Gallen would command more than just Brown) would be a big determining factor but I would lean towards "NO"

The biggest reason is the current rotation and the years they are under control.

McCullers - 26
    Garcia - 26
    Framber -25
    Javier -25
    Urquidy -25
    Brown -28

Gallen -25

One of the things that has made the Astros successful for so long is staggering free agency years.

The Royals won the World Series in 2015 with a young core of players much like the Astros. The difference is KC's roster was all on the same timeliness and they have been irrelevant since.

Hopefully Brown develops into a legitimate top of the rotation pitcher who can lead the staff who may be largely young and unproven beyond 2026.

Gallen increases the chances of another WS in the next 3 years, but how much depends on how good Brown is.

Keeping Brown helps to extend that window 3 additional years

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I like deals where both GMs would be fired. They are the most interesting kind.

Wulaw Horn likes this.