1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just random INSANITY.

If Tucker moves to CF, would we want Judge in RF for say 6 years at $210M? ($35M AAV) age 31-37?

This assumes JV walks and there is at least some truth Crane was willing to go 6-$180M for Correa.[/QUOTE]

I think you are way off on tucker to cf. The fo and Dusty both have said it is not their preference. We will either fill it internally or hire a mid level replacement.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Judge already turned down a similar offer before he had his monster season. The Astros are not gonna outbid on a long term monster deal, that's not how they operate.

They will sign a less risky, but nonetheless quality player like we did with Brantley to solidify the lineup. We are gonna get our superstars internally, or as an undervalued upside acquisition.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

somehow I screwed up. Only the last sentence about Tucker was my response. We aren’t moving tucker to cf and we aren’t signing judge.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

First base

Situation: Yuli is 38, coming off a forgettable year, and is a free agent. Not likely a regular starter but still has value, especially if he can manage to play 3B. Trey Mancini looks to be a good fit if Dusty and the team have not pissed him off by sitting him on the bench causing him to not want to return.

Internal options: 2 of the minor leaguers on the 40 man are first basemen. Taylor Jones and J.J. Matijevic both profile as solid but not regulars on a contending team. Not to mention they are unproven.

External options: There are several established free agent first basemen that could fit and help this team. Josh Bell, Anthony Rizzo, Jose Abreu, Brandon Belt, Jesus Aguilar and if vourse Mancinicould all be options at the right price and length.

My preference: one of the veterans would allow a younger player to establish himself in the outfield and/or allow Yordan to play more in left.

My prediction: Trey Mancini or Josh Bell sign a 3 yr deal.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

In the 2017 playoffs was Gattis the backup catcher or a 3rd catcher? Was trying to remember how they handled backup catcher because Gattis was the DH a lot in those playoffs. Wondering if they would consider giving Vazquez some starts at DH in the playoffs with Mancini at first and Yordan in left.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Juan Centeno was on the roster, never played, but was on the roster.

As for Vazquez, I don't see much advantage to starting him over Diaz.

Wulaw Horn and marks0223 like this.
  7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Only viable options, IMO. All other options are basically similar to bringing back Yuli. We could sign Miguel Sano and hope he is healthy for a change, but his being a defensive liability probably means they steer clear. Colin Moran would be another reasonable choice as a guy that could have a resurgent year. He's never been on a good team, aside from his brief stint with the Astros, which could boost his production. But no way you depend on that. Guys like Sano & Moran are great options for teams on tight budgets or rebuilding, but for us, that is too much risk unless they are here on minor league contracts and used as backup plans. Both a below average defenders anywhere you put them, so they don't make for good bench players.

8. Landry's Tooth

Piscotty just got released from A's...

I would love to add him on a minor league deal and park him in AAA in case we have another outfield injury...

Would think that's a win-win... can't imagine he's getting a major league offer..

Not sure if we have room on 40 man though...

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Landry's Tooth

I would prefer to move a pitcher in the offseason for a legit stud 1B prospect who won't be a stopgap...

Royals have a couple of guys in their system...

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why would you want to weaken one area to address a different one when you could just spend some money and address it?

And prospects, even stud prospects, suck quite frequently. Going into a season with offensive question marks at both 1B and LF when you are trying to win a title is pretty unacceptable.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wanted Vinnie Pasquantino prior to the trade deadline. Royals called him up already. He hasn't exhausted his prospect status, but his bat is looking good enough that he isn't getting pried away from KC.

12. Landry's Tooth

Because they have Hunter Brown to step in. A prospect is a long term fix that is cheaper.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My 2 cents.

The team has 4 above average bats: Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker.

Maldonado and Pena are in their spots regardless so no point discussing them.

Sign a no name veteran backup catcher or give it to Lee. I don't see much difference either way. At least not in 2023.

That leaves: 6 roster spots and 1B, LF, and CF to fill.

Chas McCormick deserves to make the team. Overall he is a slightly above average hitter ( 109 OPS+) who is a great vs left handed pitching and solid all the way around.

Start him in LF vs left handed pitching and Yordan vs right handers. Yordan, of course, DHs vs lefties.

5 roster spots left with 1B, CF and DH vs RHP open.

Sign veteran, bat first 1B. Josh Bell or Trey Mancini would be my preference.

4 roster spots left w/ CF and DH vs RHP open.

So far the team has no rookies ( except possibly Lee) so make CF an open competition between Meyers and Leon. Hopefully one of them becomes a viable every day player and #8 hitter.

The team has no back up infielders, but Dubon returns.

2 roster spots left and just DH vs RHP and a back up 1B need filled.

Sign a veteran LH 1b/dh type: Carlos Santana, Daniel Vogelbach, Jake Lamb, etc. to compete with J.J. Matijevic, Taylor Jones, Yanier Diaz, David Hensley, Corey Julks, and whoever else is a possibility.

Last spot goes to the player above who impressed the most at a position of need- likely a multiple position guy like Jones or Hensley. Leon will need to play regularly so he will not win this spot regardless if he loses CF.

* I also would not he opposed to the team trading a starter ( Garcia is my preference) for a controllable 1B or CF to fill that hole. I fully expect JV to come back so SP will be crowded, especially with Brown ready for a shot. If Whitley stays healthy all fall he is just another possibility. Solomon should replace Bielak as AAAA emergency starter if one is needed.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2023 lineup

Altuve 2B
    Bregman 3B
    Alvarez LF/DH
    Mancini or J.Bell ( not both)1B
    Tucker RF
    Pena SS
    McCormick LF(L) / Matijevic DH(R)
    Leon CF
    Maldy / Lee C

Bench
    Dubon
    Hensley

Marshall Bryant and Wulaw Horn like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

love it.

16. HTown2017Champs

I would have LOVED that. I've mentioned him too. But he has been on fire lately, and as you said, even if we offer Garcia, no way do they trade him. Nick Pratto may be available for Garcia. He has better defense (last year's MiLB Gold Glover at 1B) and is far more athletic (plus can also play OF), but he strikes out a ton and may not interest the Astros because of that. And KC may still try to find ways to get both in the lineup if Pratto develops. Sadly, just a fantasy.

17. Landry's Tooth

I wonder if we dangled Framber to Arizona if Carroll and another top prospect becomes available...

Hate to lose the lefty... he is more proven than Garcia but older so maybe Garcia has more value...

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My best outcome would be Abreu at 1B because he has the best BB/SO rate. At 36, he might be a better value and amenable to a short term contract than younger guys. And more importantly, he's shown no signs of a decline in production like Yuli.

But I wouldn't mind Mancini in LF as well doing a LF/DH like Brantley and 1B on Rest days for Abreu. I wouldn't mind bringing Brantley back on a prove it contract either on the bench/replacement. I suspect rest days are an organizational decision and will continue even with a new Manager so he'll certainly have plenty of opportunity to prove whether he can come back.

I believe Meyers is a better player than he's shown in 2022, he might have to compete with Leon as soon as today, depending on the status of Diaz.

#38 Marshall Bryant, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    punkoholic likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Possible?

C Maldonado 70 OPS+/Vasquez 106 OPS+
    1B Abreu 141 OPS+/Vasquez/Mancini
    2B Altuve 147 OPS+/Dubon/???
    3B Bregman 133 OPS+/Dubon/???
    SS Pena 99 OPS+/Dubon /???/Bregman
    LF Mancini 130 OPS+/Alvarez/???