1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Playoff and 2023 Roster Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marshall Bryant, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Can we ban you from the Astros message boards for the playoffs? It would be much more enjoyable.

Phillyrocket and jiggyfly like this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No other Astros fans dislike me and I've been actice here much longer than you. You only started being active to defend Dumbo. You are disliked in every subforum. Get back under Dumbo's desk.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Nope. You are perhaps the most immature poster in the history of the Astros forum. There's a few other immature posters like like your "Dumbo" posts but most are sick of your immaturity.

jiggyfly, rockbox and cmlmel77 like this.
  4. King1

You're entitled to your opinion but the amount of likes and messages from Astros posters say otherwise. You certainly don't speak for everyone but possibly Dumbo apologists. I don't care about what you think anyways. Feel free to ignore me if I hurt your feelings

everyday eddie, Stephen66 and lnchan like this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Well you spoke for everyone by saying no other Astros forum posters dislike your posts and you know that's not true. You've been called out by many posters for your name calling of a 73 year old man. Dusty is far from perfect but you immediately lose credibility with how you approach your criticisms of him. Immature humor gets a lot of likes on Clutchfans. If you call Dusty a Booger Head you'll probably get a few more likes.

jiggyfly and cmlmel77 like this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Guys really... This back and forth is useless, if you guys don't like seeing someone's post...just block. It's good for your mentality.

King1 likes this.
  7. King1

Can you name those posters because that's fiction. I've never had any problems with anyone in this sub forum except (I'll call him Dusty since you're sensitive) when I criticize him. You guys are like the KPJ cult. It's ridiculous. I don't care how old he is. I root for the Astros and he makes terrible decisions and I don't trust him. He isn't a good manager. I can call him whatever I want as long as it's not racist or anything like that. My insult isn't offensive to anybody. It just speaks to what I think of him. The last sentence is pathetic but you probably aren't very socially adapted. You love Dumbo, I get it.

Look, you aren't going to bother me. That's just how it is. For the record, I have praised him as being a good person numerous times. You're free to ignore me, pm me, whatever. Don't think there's a resolution here. I don't care honestly. Dumbo sucks. That's what I think. Ball is in your court

8. King1

Exactly. Well said

9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

2023 Roster
    Starters

F Valdez*
    C Javier
    L McCullers
    L Garcia
    J Urquidy
    H Brown
    Relievers
    R Pressly
    H Neris
    B Abreu
    R Stanek
    W Smith
    S Martinez
    Catchers
    K Lee (2 on 2off)
    M Maldonado (2 off 2on)
    Infielders
    J Perez
    J Altuve
    J Pena
    A Bregman
    D Hensley
    Hitters
    Y Alvarez
    Y Diaz
    Outfielders
    J Meyers
    P Leon
    K Tucker*
    C McCormick

Player Option
    J Verlander
    T Mancini
    Free Agent
    Y Gurriel
    M Brantley
    A Diaz
    R Montero
    J Castro
    C Vazquez
    Optioned
    M Dubon
    Traded
    P Maton

10. HTown2017Champs

@BlindHog Dubon cannot be optioned, BTW. That is exactly why SF traded him, they would have optioned him if they could.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

We know you are Hated on D&D. Just a matter of time another on the Astros board.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Banning is such a cowardly and narrow minded response to diversity of thought.

If you want a bubble in Pleasantville, ignore is a better option. I have used it myself, but rarely for long.

King1 likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are right that Turner would be a perfect #2 hitter between Altuve and Alvarez.

However:

1) He has only played 45 g in CF in his career and none in 7 years. Shortstop is the glamor position and $$$ position. I doubt he signs with a team who wants to move him to the OF. Besides after that kind of time without playing there he will likely be average at best.

2) Signing him would all but guarantee there is not money for all the current Astros moving forward: Likely no money for a multi year deal/extension for JV, Bregman, Tucker and Framber. Maybe one resigns but not more than that. I think Altuve is old enough and established enough that he signs a 2-3 year extension at a reasonable price for 2025.

3) It's the Correa argument all over. Why would the team spend $200M+ on bringing a guy in if they would not do it for their own guy and they feel they have the future of the position in the organization.

The team believes strongly that Meyers, Leon, Barber, or Gilbert are the CF of the future. That's 4 rolls of the dice they will not pass on.

If they sign a CF it will be a veteran guy on a 1-3 year deal. Very long shot of 4 max. Turner will want much more than that.

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I don't like the idea of wasting Bregman's arm despite how inconsistent it is in terms of accuracy. But his lack of speed and leg injury history makes me at least open to the idea of why not. I do want a defensive oriented first baseman... the Lee/Wallace/Carter years were that traumatizing.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Liked just to help the Like to Message ratio as a metric argument. Dusty can be the manager but should delegate lineup construction to someone else... all other aspects of coaching is delegated and that's not considered a demotion.

King1 likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Catcher: Maldy returns as mentor to K.Lee and ( outside shot) Yanier Diaz but reduces starts back to 50/50. They sign a veteran to compete with Lee in spring training but have been encouraged enough buy his finish to 2022 that they hope he wins a spot and is 50/50 starter. Diaz becomes an emergency catcher only continuing to catch less and less ( if at all) in Sugar Land.

First base: Yanier Diaz and J J. Matijevic are the internal options and a guy like Corey Julks or Justin Dirden could surprise. Overall I think the options are much weaker than the CF options. The team will not want unestablished/rookie players at both positions so this is where the team signs a veteran. Based on young OF bats in the system who could potentially move like Melton and Clifford I expect it to be an older guy on a 1-3 year deal. Someone like Rizzo but the future of 1B is murky enough I could see a 4-5 year deal for a guy like Mancini or Josh Bell if the AAV would not endanger potential extensions to Bregman, Tucker, Altuve, Framber, etc.

2B, 3B, SS, RF are all set.

LF: Yordan has proven to be a very good fielder and has expressed wanting to play more in the field. He is still a very large human though so he should not play every day. Platooning him with McCormick just sounds ideal.

CF: This is where the team has a young unestablished starter in 2023. The team will bring in a veteran FA AAAA type to compete and stash at AAA but Meyers or Leon will open 2023 as the starting CF. If Jake wins then Leon is back to AAA but if Leon wins, Jake could make the team as the final OF. Barber and Gilbert are guys in the minors to watch for 2024.

I would expect Meyers, Leon, Barber, or Gilbert to be traded between now and ( more likely) the trade deadline next year.

DH: Yordan will be here vs LH pitching. In the past this spot was used to give a semi day off to the veterans and I could see that as a better option than all the rest that Dusty gave them this year.

Vs RH pitching, when Yordan is in LF and there is no game the following day: put Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, the 1B or whoever else may need a rest in this spot. As a bonus, this could be a designed strategy that gives Aledmys Diaz motivation to resign a modest deal.

17. King1

I'm hated in the D@D? People respond to me and I barely post there.

Let's discuss you in the Texans forum where you post the most. Lol, you're ridiculous. Nobody respects you anywhere.

I am not going to derail the thread. Take it to dms if you want to talk to me

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

With the Baltimore series concluded, the Stros return home for their final 8 games and won’t hit the road again until game 3 of the ALDS

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I have only blocked one guy, king1. It has nothing to do with diversity of thought. Ignoring obvious trolls who offer nothing to the forum but personal attacks makes the forum a better place for those that want honest debate.

cmlmel77 and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do you think you know what the front office expects?

I why has nobody reported that Dusty is not in sync with the front office, it would be talked about constantly on sports shows and in the local papers.

It's amazing that you think you have all of this hidden knowledge, how would Dusty have been able to gain all this power where he can just ignore the front office?

What traditional role do you think Dusty has and why would they let his "traditional role" trump the analytics that the team is built on?