1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 24, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

My theory is you draft them until you find one. I wouldn't be opposed to the Texans taking a swing on a QB, no matter what round it is.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This upcoming draft will pretty much determine if Caserio is a good long term GM or not. 10 picks, he has to hit on a lot of them if the Texans hope to be good in 2-3 years. Really that simple.

Doesn't matter the position either, Texans need TALENT, period. Something to build on, someone to build around.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I see both perspectives on drafting a QB, but this year I might take a flyer with one of our 6th rd picks if there is someone we like. Mainly for these reasons...

- Davis Mills showed real potential in his second stint as a starter. We need to see how he and Pep can build on that in year 2 before expending more draft capital or FA money on a starter (IMO)

- We desperately need talent on Offense and Defense--OL (emphasis on interior), Edge (need 1-2 pass rush demons), DB (Stud CB and/or S), RB (Young talented player to go with vets), TE (we have a blocker and a catcher, now we need someone that can do both--not sold on Pharaoh Brown). WR (could use a young #1 and a great slot)

- We're a developing team. We lived through Carr getting killed. let's work on building a solid team this year and reevaluate next year.

I do think there is some intriguing traits with some of the top guys this year, and given how well draft experts and GMs have evaluated talent who's really to say there is not a franchise QB in this group. My hope is the hype train goes wild and Willis, Picket and another QB move into the top 12 or 1st rd at least. Then we're likely to have options to trade or add 2 really good players.

One exception: Of the QBs, there is something about Corral. He's got the arm, ability to run and toughness. If he dropped to our pick in the 3rd rd, I believe that would be good value and may be worth a shot. He needs to add some weight to take the pounding in NFL and quit trying to be a RB.

4. SinceEverSince

Hamilton at 3 then kaf at 13…Rb in 2nd (Walker or Reece)…Then BPA after that

ROXRAN, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah I will be watching that Corral situation as well…

cmoak1982 and Shark44 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Corral and Willis are very comparable talent wise. Both are going in the first though I’d say

Shark44 likes this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Or... https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...tson-nfl-free-agency/rmoj8obwo8zv5k92srdlncb8

Walker has been climbing the mocks, but if he's available around 13, adding him and Hamilton could be a great start to building our future defense. I also really like Sauce and question a safety at 3, so I'm hoping we make a move with someone looking at one of the OL or Edge and get another 2nd.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

100% agree.

I think you have to fix the lines before you fix the QB any ways and yea, Mills flashed enough potential to have me intrigued. I don't mind drafting a QB in the mid rounds or late rounds, a flyer, but I really think we just have so many holes I'd rather go after those first.

We have one weapon on offense and no threats on defense. That needs to change.

Elite RBs for instance can be found in the 2nd round with some ease really, along with TEs, the offense needs weapons. I wouldn't mind going OL/DL in the first round with our two picks...I mean this team just needs a lot lol. They have to start filling some holes so that the 2023 draft we can at least look at it and go "Ok, this is what we clearly need to get better."

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we could get Hamilton and Walker I would be ecstatic

gucci888 and Shark44 like this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Sort of I guess, Willis looks like the best arm in the class and also a talented runner. Although an Auburn recruit, he's played at a lower level and how that translates will likely take some time. He's built like a tank, while Corral is more slight. They both are talented athletically, but neither really ran a sophisticated offense. Corral made a ton of throws to his first read. We'll need to see how he processes at the NFL level. Personally, I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on either of them, but that's just me.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Willis has a strong arm but horribly inaccurate. Corral has a cannon too but is more accurate. They’re almost identical weight at combine.
    They both ran single read systems but Corral played against real competition.
    Willis has more to prove about being a QB.

Athletically they’re very similar, neither are Lamar/Kyler speed. But they both have great agility and wiggle and very good speed for QBs. In the Hurts mold.

I wouldn’t spend a first on either as well

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Evan Neal needs to be the third pick in the first round. That pick is simple. The 13th pick depending on whose available I might trade down if I can get a lower first with a high 2nd.

gucci888 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. SinceEverSince

I really want sauce but I don’t think he will be there

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. SinceEverSince

We have too many holes for that pick…

Mark and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. raining threes

I think you're underestimating Mills

He was the best rookie QB over the last month of the season, playing on a really crappy team.

16. raining threes

Quick mock

Rd.1 Sauce
    Rd.1 Davis
    Rd. 2 Sam Williams
    Rd. 3 Salyer
    Rd. 3 Jalen Armour Davis
    Rd.4 Rickert

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If they took a flyer on either Willis or Corall, I wouldn't be mad but I would wait until the 2nd rnd and look at Desmond Ritter.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here's an NFL ranking of QBs for 2021: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

And while Mills had better stats in 2021 than Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson (not sure he had better stats than Mac Jones, but go ahead, include him)... do you honestly believe any of those team's GMs would trade their QB for Mills? I think its cool to "be true to your school" but I am not underestimating Mills... he is what he is... on the road to a decent career... as a backup.

Fulgore likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Mills is better than any QB in this class.

Boii, Xopher and raining threes like this.
  20. raining threes

I would like to see him with some weapons. I don't think the last month was an abbreviation.

If you gave him weapons I believe you would see many more games like the Chargers game. That's what Mills looks like with a good ol and running game and yes, I think that's better than the other rookie QB's.

Boii and cmoak1982 like this.