1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

CF is gonna melt down at the idea that you might eventually just have to trade Sengun to maximize PB. It stinks and Sengun is super fun, obviously, but Banchero is actually an exceptional playmaker in his own right, albeit with Sengun's panache.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

People should melt down at that idea.
    Sengun is arguably a better player than Paolo.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thats been my point all along with the 1.0.

Lebron is the Hellcat to Banchero's being a GT or scatpack.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't get the fixation on Banchero's non-shot blocking. Banchero had Williams camped in the lane on just about every defensive play. This play (and there are others out there) show an ability to go get shots. The guy is 6'10" and can jump. He's also smart and realized he was the guy on his college team and college only gives you five fouls. (Remember how Dream wouldn't challenge Penny's driving layups in the first half but shut the lane down in the 4th? He didn't want early fouls either.) My guess is Banchero will get more blocks and alterations in the NBA.

5. raining threes

If I was in Stone's shoes I would go fishing around Orlando. Looking at what it might take to trade up to #1 to take Chet. They've got the assets.

If that didn't work I would offer up Gordon plus future assets or Tate for Issac. There's probably a deal to be done somewhere between these 2 deals.

If you get lucky your lineup could look like this, even if you dont get Chet.

Smith at #3
    Issac
    Sengun
    Green
    KPJ
    Draft Washington at #17.

Best case scenario.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Banchero played on the perimeter as a playmaker more than Holmgren and had the ball in his hands more offensively than Holmgren, so why would you compare their offensive rebound rates?

Chet played the c on defensive and played along with Timme while Banchero played more on the perimeter on defense and played with Williams who was a great rebounder, so again why are you comparing their rebounds per 100?

Chet and Pablo are going to asked to play differently in the NBA, if a team is counting on Pablo to be the main rebounder they are doing it wrong.

This is apples to oranges.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is Banchero the Christian Laettner of this draft (just a coincidence they both went to Duke)?

Consolation prize for missing out on Shaq and Mourning. (NOTE - this is in no way comparing Smith or Holmgren to Shaq or Mourning).

8. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

Obviously I can't "prove" this, by my very strong suspicion is that if the draft were held today that exactly zero front offices would even think for a half second about drafting Sengun in front of PB.

Spooner and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on if he’s coming off a back to back MVP season, Sengun has already proved he can play in the league.
    On top of that, he has a better projection body wise. More room for development. Banchero looks like he’s done maturing physically.

Theyre 3 months apart age wise. Similar athletes, similar weaknesses. Same type of space operators. I think there’s more people than you think that would take him over Paolo.

10. MystikArkitect

No. No. And no. I love Sengun but he's not even in Paolo's stratosphere athletically or spacially. If we took Jabari Smith and someone offered me Paolo for Sengun and the 17th I'd drive Sengun to IAH personally while saying "I'm so happeh".

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Paolo isn’t a plus athlete. He’s an average to above average athlete. The same as Sengun.
    Sengun is a better basketball player virtually everywhere except handles.
    Only idiots would trade Sengun for anyone outside of Chet in this draft.

12. Rockets4Life13

This is just not true. Banchero has a far better shot than Sengun and his form looks pretty good. Sengun's form looks a bit rough and isn't consistent. Sengun is the better post player and passer but from a playmaking standpoint i'm not sure he takes the cake because Banchero moves much more fluidly. He's also taller and in better shape.

I love Sengun and I don't think he's as bad defensively as some people make him out to be but you're overselling him.

I do think that Sengun has a bright future but that could range from premium 6th man to star. I don't know where he ends up.

Banchero is a pretty good athlete. I'm not sure where it's coming from that he isn't.

Look, i'm not even sure if I want the Rockets to take him but some of you are going out of your way to critizice him for stuff that objectively just isn't true, because u like another prospect better.

red5rocket and maj21 like this.
  13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

How is Banchero done physically maturing? The narratives against Banchero are weird. We suck. We need to find a player that can be top 10 i. the league. Banchero represents a shot to be that guy. Worry about getting to be an elite defense once you become a .500 team.

red5rocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Member

Dude with all due respect, and I’m the biggest fan of Sengun. They couldn’t be more different as players. I can’t say I agree with your assessment at all. No one is taking Sengun ahead of Bancharo. You might need to take a break.

red5rocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im surprised anyone would want to die on that hill. Paolo Banchero would destroy Alperen Sengun in every single athletic test at the combine. Wouldnt even be close. I love Sengun. He's crafty and has a high IQ and knows what to do and where to be on most plays to be effective - you know the things that non athletic guys have to be good at in order to survive in the league. This is turning into political mud slinging at this point.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Keep Issac away from this team

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Paolo and Alp are literally the exact same size. Alp has a slightly bigger wingspan.
    Paolo is not a good athlete. He’s a solid athlete compared to NBA standards.

This is literally all verifiable by reading any scouting reports.

Paolo is not a good shooter by any stretch, his form is solid, but so is Alp.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Hasn't he been hurt 3 of the last 4 years?

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Banchero is anywhere close to a perimeter player in the NBA I’ll say I was wrong.
    You guys are really overselling what he is.
    When your comps are Julius Randle, Juwan Howard and Detroit Blake. It’s not even remotely unfair to say Sengun has a potentially higher ceiling than that.

Williamson likes this.