1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 17, 2022.

1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I still think we will be the worse team in the NBA and there is just no way the worse team in the NBA for three years in a row loses out on the #1 pick... Third times is a charm...

CVcrew likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i’ll say it again, I love the way he carries himself; love his confidence. He’s going to be a hard worker and he’s going to be very successful. He is a can’t miss prospect. Not sure why anyone wouldn’t be excited to have him.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Offer Banchero at 3 and Tate to GS for Kuminga. If they refuse, so be it.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Soft?

MW is like a 7 foot Clint Capela running baseline to baseline.

And he is an eraser in the paint without fouling, very good instincts, technique and/or IQ.

As for a 3ball, he's a great FT shooter (better than Paolo or Chet).

We've been told that is good indicator of future 3P efficiency.

And MW also led nation in TS% (Chet was 4th).

https://www.tankathon.com/players/c...o--jalen-duren--walker-kessler--mark-williams

#1224 D-rock, May 18, 2022
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
    sirjesse, Aruba77, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  5. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Bill Simmons, you're yesterday's news. New enemy of Houston established.

Meet Tim Doyle, 39 years old, an All-Big-10 Player for Northwestern, and perhaps the only guy who was a big enough douche as a player to call his home fans "fairweather", and also somehow pissed off Kendall Gill so much while they were analysts and co-workers that Gill punched him and drew blood.

6. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

https://www.tankathon.com/big_board

Looks like the most accurate draft board I’ve seen, all these pipe dreams of Tari Eason and Mark Williams not happening. GM needs to start working on trading up into the 10-12 range bc looks like there’s a significant drop off right at 15-16.

We should be aggressively trading Gordon for something, these two drafts are our only shot before cap space opens up.

D-rock, Chamillionaire and Aruba77 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah. He’s even been called soft by his own coach k. Also not a great ft shooter. He barely even goes to the line.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is always a "but" with disclaimer when you have a preferred aesthetic.

There is a REASON why Chet is being mocked as the #1 overall in this draft.

That didnt happen with Giannis.

9. Chamillionaire

I don't see us picking up a difference maker unless someone drops. Agree about moving up to pick up a legit wing. I'd trade MIL 23 FRP to move up.

Wood / Sengun
    Banchero / Tate
    Eason / KMJ
    Green /Gordon
    KPJ / JC

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

FTA are not future indicator of 3P%, rather it is FT%.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ba-draft-boards-duke/wbo4s6axupwspelylvwfwxgh

And Coach K has been wrong before.

There must be a reason why MW won ACC DPOY while skyrocketing up the draft boards if you (and Coach K) are correct about his softness - amirite?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...or-a-blue-devils-run-toward-a-national-title/

Wendell Moore Jr. has played next to two ACC Defensive Player of the Year winners now, along with an All-ACC Defensive Team standout during his three-year Duke career. He himself has been recognized for his contributions on that end of the court after earning a spot on the league's All-Defensive list this season. The man knows good defense. So take it from him when he says that Blue Devils big man Mark Williams is the goods.

"Mark is the best defensive player I've played with," he said Friday ahead of Saturday's Final Four appearance vs. North Carolina. "It's great because he makes my job easier guarding the perimeter. I know if I get beat off the dribble, he'll be there to have my back."

Williams, who won ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors as a sophomore, is quietly anchoring the Final Four's hottest team and doing so with force. Postseason Mark Williams is not just dominating opponents in the paint; he's stealing souls and affecting games as the underrated MOP of a destructive Duke team entering the weekend as the betting favorite to bring Coach K a sixth national championship.

"[He's] definitely the best defensive player I've played with," said fellow front court mate Paolo Banchero.

Acting as a human detour sign for Duke's back-end defense is second-nature to Williams, who says he watches tape and takes lessons from the games of Hakeem Olajuwon, Rudy Gobert and Bam Adebayo. During this NCAA Tournament run, his improved mobility and added versatility in particular has popped.

"I think just working on lateral movement just helped me [with] overall defending," Williams said. "Sometimes, late in the shot clock you have to switch. Some games we're switching from the beginning. So just staying in front of whoever you're guarding."

Williams' efficiency extends to the opposite end of the court, too, where he stands as the only player in college basketball shooting 70% or better from the field and 70% or better from the free throw line. And here's the list of players during a single NCAA Tournament run who have taken at least 20 shot attempts and made them at an 80% clip or better: Jerrell Wright (2013) and Mark Williams (2022).

"He's automatic, especially in the paint around the rim," said Banchero of Williams earlier this season. "So you just want to get him the ball there, and he's going to do the rest. He's been doing that all year."

#1230 D-rock, May 18, 2022
    sirjesse likes this.
  11. Junebball

Junebball Member

My biggest nightmare? Presti rarely misses on draft picks and he will pick Jaden Ivey. Ivey will be a superstar in this league.

Ivey and Green complement each other nicely. As someone who wanted Mobley last season, I surely hope Stone blocks all the noises and does his homework thoroughly. Stone needs to earn his money here.

Draft Jaden Ivey either with the third pick or trade back and grab him. Sign a defensive big with the later pick.

#1231 Junebball, May 18, 2022
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

ft % isnt some indicator for 3pt shooter. And just wanted to point out he isn’t the great ft shooter being claimed. He barely goes to the line and his career avg isn’t great. And I’ve watch him enough to back coach k calling him a soft player. I’ve had that notion every time I watched duke play.

Mark Williams isn’t some special player for me

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Williams alters close to 53% of shots in the paint. Like. That's a difference maker. Would select if he's available to anchor. Plus he's a rim runner.

His spacial and visual reasoning analytic is off the charts.

#1233 PhiSlammaJamma, May 18, 2022
    sirjesse and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Presti wants Chet.

Nook and csnerd84 like this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We got Jalen Green, Sengun and Christopher last year. We are going to draft Paolo or Jabari and Mark Williams this year. Not to mention the fact that we will trade Wood and Gordon for a significant player this offseason (think Andrew Wiggins), and you believe we will be the worst team in the league again next year? I don't see it.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean the other bad teams are adding a young prospect just like the rockets so yeah them being terrible is definitely in the cards still

you also have no idea what will become of wood and Gordon to know if anything is actually making this team better

17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

You're over thinking it.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hope this guy is right, no consensus #1 but NBA media not in agreement at all.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Just pick whoever is left with the 3rd pick. Better to draft the one with higher star potential then go safe. We have enough young players. We don't need to trade down for two picks.

Phillyrocket, ArtV, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think there is almost 0% chance Chet falls to #3.

But I can't see OKC taking Banchero. I feel like if Chet goes #1 then OKC is a lock for Jabari. He would be too good of a fit next to Giddey and SGA. However if Orlando drafts Banchero then I see OKC taking Chet.

Regardles I'm happy if we get Banchero or Jabari.

ArtV, Ghost5Horse6, D-rock and 6 others like this.