1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Spacing matters.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So much more arch on those shots than he showed in summer league.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

NBA 3's just slightly further, his form seems to be perfect for college 3.

burlesk likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Interesting video with Jabari and his trainers.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Maybe they had him pumping a lot of iron and he didn't have enough lift in his legs, or enough grunt in his arms? I dunno, hopefully there is some explanation beyond "his shot just went flat" (even flat, it looked like going in most of the time!)

burlesk and Mathloom like this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You missed the stat where he was 95th percentile in long 3s?

He seems to have made them just fine from there as well.

The flat shot in summer league had to have some other explanation.

burlesk and D-rock like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

I think not getting Bancero set us back a few years ...I would've rather had Bancero 1a and Ivey and future picks 1b .

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jabari is closer to 7'0 than Paolo.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're going to forget all about Paolo once Jabari finds his shot.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Paolo's height looks closer to Tari than to Chet.

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  14. conquistador#11

By the end of Sunday, it will practically be September. October 2nd falls on a Sunday where the week was still September. We get to see these guys play sooon! I'm hyped!

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Call me crazy, but a Jalen Green/Jabari Smith pick and pop has the potential to be REALLY good, right? Jabari can be elite popping on those because he has size and range and is good at shooting over smaller defender and Jalen is so quick that exploding out of a screen is really hard to defend because if he turns it to the basket he can get there really quickly but he also has the range to explode to the 3pt line on the other side of the pick so the big switching from Jabari is in a really tough position - it almost means you HAVE to help on any screen between the two of those guys. Jabari and Jalen can also use those plays to get favorable matchups where Jabari can isolate and go to work in the mid range backing down a smaller player he can shoot over and Jalen can iso a big on the perimeter with his quickness. I know Jabari probably won't ever be a perimeter playmaker per se(which is frankly unusual for a big anyway) but he is so long and effective at making a one or two dribble move, I think that's all you really need for him to continue to improve on anyway.

...I'm SUPER excited about seeing him play with the rest of the team. I think Jabari as a center in a small ball lineup could be scary good(Scoot, Green, Gordon/Mathews, Tate/Eason, Jabari) and otherwise I'm REALLY curious to see how Silas proposes to take advantage of what Sengun, Jabari, Green, and Porter all offer offensively. I'm not entirely sure what an offense looks like with those guys all as key contributors and I imagine Silas is going to be evolving it as the season progresses too....lastly - I'm also really interested in how Jabari influences/pushes Green. I think Smith could be elite defensively and if Green is as competitive with as high a work ethic as Jabari appears to have based on a few videos including the one referenced above, I think they could create a synergy and push each other to be much better players together.

CANT WAIT!

16. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

I hope so bro... he looked good on defense in summer league ,but is that gone carry over against quick ,elite offensive weapons

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yes

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...he already has above average length, quickness, and mobility for the elite levels. Offensive players will probably 'read' his footwork better than in college and I'm sure he may get overpowered at times in the post but physically there is little doubt about of whether he has the strength and speed to keep up with quicker NBA level players - he's already there. Just has to keep improving on the fundamentals to become more efficient of a player on both sides of the ball.

burlesk likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

October 2nd is happening in September this year. I'm scared.

burlesk, D-rock, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jabari Smith is competing with Eric Gordon on the most thirsty dude on the team. He’s liking all the thick Htown thots.

burlesk and Jontro like this.