1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agree completely.

arabrocket and TheJuice like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

By good shooter... what is your criteria? I mostly agree with yall but im thinking he probably has a 3p average of 37% over the next 10 years. Looking for 40% may not be feasible.

As well, He really only needs to make the mid range jumper enough to make it a viable secondary option.

I do think he has enough touch to where as he fills out he becomes average on the interior but I don't know what his ceiling is there.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

False. Rodman and Wallace couldn’t create their own shots. Both are HOF players that were integral to title winning teams.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

37% is a good 3 point shooter. I want 40%+ a number of years but 37% EVERY YEAR for a decade is incredibly solid.

low 30s is a problem.

coachbadlee and TheJuice like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

also depends on what kind of shot he takes. If he's only shooting open catch and shoot, he should be at 38% +. If he eventually develops ways to shoot off the dribble, he can get away with lower percentage.

jiggyfly and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Seconded. Especially because shooters usually don't improve their shot once they get to the league...especially if they're advertised as such coming out of college

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kay Thompson shot 40%+ his first 8 seasons, including rookie year. After two years of injury layoff, he shot 38% last season. If Jabari is the 6'10 Klay, I want to see him do that.

That said, I won't be too concerned if he shoots in the low 30s in his first year.

8. PeppermintCandy

I'm no expert by any means, but Smith's shooting form looks very good, which bodes well for the long term.

You can tell he's going to expend a ton of energy on defense. Given that he's so young, that could mean he may lack the energy and legs for his jump shots on the offensive end. But I think as he gets stronger, things will balance out more.

I'm not usually this optimistic about rookie players, but my gut feeling is that Smith has the potential and the drive/work ethic to put it all together someday.

9. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Do people always overreact to this extent on here? I was gone from clutchfans for a long while and recently got back on.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Part of the problem is people confuse shooting with 3 pt shooting. 3 pt shooting is similar to confusing accuracy with completions. 3 pt ers mean range, not shooting ability. Big Dave, Ewing,Dream,Duncan,and Garnett were all good shooters, but they didn't extend their range to shoot 3's. Jabari to me coming out of college wasn't a good shooter, but he had range. Keegan is a better shooter than Jabari because he has range and mid range consistently.

jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  11. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Jalen Green went from Corey Brewer but worse to Kobe but better in the span of a few weeks.

Yes.

Fullcourt, BigMaloe, Haymitch and 3 others like this.
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

And he offers so much more than what those guys offered on offense. This freakout over 5 games worth of shooting is ridiculous. To assume he won't shoot in upper 30s is as ridiculous as assuming banchero will shoot close to 50 percent from 3s like he did.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hell yes they do and it’s only gotten worse over the years. Part of it is the lack of patience, instant gratification problem society has in general. Part of it is the hot take hyperbole that has permeated all sports media.

Ultimately like Green last year this is a teenager who will take several years to reach his potential. As we said last year go back and look at any star player and most of them struggled with their shot as a rookie.

I fully expect Jabari to shoot like 30% from 3 this year and to struggle like crazy this first half or so of the season. But the game will slow down and one day he will wake up and have that I do belong here feeling and it will improve.

Enjoy the ride we have something special in this young man and we should support him.

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm not concerned about his shooting after his SL performance for the following reasons...

#1 - Bari was expending enormous energy on defense.
    #2 - Our guards and coaches did a poor job of setting him up with good shots consistently (started bad and got better, but still not great).
    #3 - He's adjusting to new system, teammates, level of play, etc.
    #4 - He's barely 19 years old and performing in front of NBA legends.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew Jabari was a good defender but I didn't know he was defensive anchor good. That alone will help this team immensely. No matter what happens with his shot.

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Bookmark for copy-paste:
    Kevin Durant rookie year: 29% 3P
    Paul George rookie year: 29% 3P
    K-A Towns rookie year: 34% 3P

All were older when they came in also (though Durant was close), and all are now solid 40%+. Big men especially can take a while to find their stroke. We should not expect 40% this year ... though of course many of those here will and will proclaim him a bust because: 1) they don't understand history, 2) they don't understand or care about defense.

Drift Monkey, BigMaloe, Milos and 6 others like this.
  17. conquistador#11

Could it be because it had been 19 years since we had a top 2 or top 3 picks?

18. omgTHEpotential

So his floor is a rich man's Matisse Thybulle. Not bad.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I just really REALLY hope that Jabari's finished form is way more than a 3&D player because "could have had Keegan Murray" will be a thing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Look at both of their freshman seasons (Jabari and Klay). They are pretty similar other than Klay being a 90% FT shooter that year, which compared to the rest of his college career looks to be an outlier. Klay was also 21 when he was drafted. Jabari will be 21 entering his third year in the league.

Free throw percentages is the biggest indicator to me for if someone will be a good shooter. Jabari shot 80% from the free throw line at Auburn. He put up similar amounts of 3p shots that Klay did and Jabari shot 42% on them (188 3p shots for Jabari; Klay shot 165 his freshman year making 41% of them, then 209 at 36%, then 246 at 40% his last yeat at Wash State).

These things bode well for Jabari being a great NBA shooter. The 5 summer league games were just a slump.

Hakeemtheking and Easy like this.