1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. csc177

csc177 Member

Jabari will be fine

2. dmoneybangbang

Whoever fell to third.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Indeed, but some folks are acting like he was the overall best prospect. Time will tell if they were right, but right now he’s solidly third.

I just think it’s not in the Rocket’s interest to put fit over talent when many were complaining about the Paolo fit or how we needed defense. Don’t get me wrong, we do need defense but that still falls under the category of “fit” in respects to our top pick.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Are you serious? It’s been 32 minutes of summer league. Slow down.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That could be true but you can also make a strong argument for him being the best overall. Quite frankly, I don’t care who is the best and neither should anyone else. It’s a meaningless endeavor.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Paolo and Jabari (and Chet for that matter) have different weaknesses and elite skills. Most people agree that the top 3 do not have clear separation in overall projected value. Only the people who have fixation on a particular player would strongly disagree.

When you don't have a clear BPA, fit becomes a legit factor for consideration.

7. dmoneybangbang

It’s more of a fixation on a certain skillset that all the superstars have.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

I was saying this before summer league.

Summer league is just an exhibition and it should be obvious why players who can create would look better in this type of environment.

9. dmoneybangbang

I guess… I don’t have buyers regret at all since we were third in the draft but I think it matters if you want the Rockets to have the best possible shot at contending.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What is that skillset all superstars have?

11. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Damn, you're right. We should all hang out heads and give up. All hope is lost.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I did not think Smith was the best prospect at all, but people are more than entitled to their opinion. It's almost ridiculous to say he's solidly third after one summer league game.

People may also just value defense regardless of fit. A lot of people wanted Evan Mobley last year at #2 (before we had any of our current core) mostly for his defense. That wasn't a question of fit, some people just think defense is an essential building block to a successful team.

Drift Monkey and Easy like this.
  13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

damn mayBE, but we'll see, time will tell

14. dmoneybangbang

The ability to create for themselves and others at an elite level.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

That’s a bit much….

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Whether or not someone drafted a player before us and they end up being better than Smith does not affect our ability to contend.

How did Dirk create for himself? Because it definitely wasn't through dribbling.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

It’s not just over a summer league game (which I liken to an exhibition game and don’t really even count) but he was also literally drafted third…. I thought he was the 3rd best prospect before the draft.

Evan Mobley isn’t Jabari Smith. Nothing wrong with valuing defense as long as it doesn’t interfere with taking the best prospect possible.

18. dmoneybangbang

I mean… we have plenty of assets to move up to grab the best prospect of the FO thought it was appropriate.

Where’s the current Dirk in this current NBA? Funny how you have to resort to comparing a HOF power forward.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I know but Ben Simmons just need to get out of the East because the guy can still play and has no value right now

20. xaos

xaos Member

Tim Duncan (1997)

Averages: Lost to never be found

Before Duncan became the greatest power forward of all-time, Jermaine O'Neal and Greg Ostertag welcomed him to the NBA by outdueling him in Summer League.

O'Neal dropped 23 points on Duncan and Ostertag one-upped him by registering 21 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks. Duncan, meanwhile, scored a total of 26 points in those two games.

"[Ostertag] threw my sh— into the first and second row a couple of times," Duncan told SLAM. "Jermaine (O’Neal) destroyed me. He was with Portland, was real young."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...-wade-harden-durant/m92okbs4wif41b76qzo3zsy2m