1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Power forward lol? Christ we have another AD on our hands.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I am. Jabari will be better in the long term. His work ethic is through the roof.

Boii, Stephen_A and OremLK like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

DPOY is a weird award. The criteria is messy and the guys giving it out don't really have set parameters vs MVP or 6MOY.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Jabari will put on another 15 lbs of muscle this off-season. He will be best in a PF/C rotation. If we somehow get Wemby, he will play SF/PF until he can put on more weight. Wemby cannot play center in the NBA at this point and probably never. To be a center he will have to put on weight and that will shorten his NBA career with foot and ankle problems. I believe we have 3 guys with star potential in Green, Jabari, and Sengun. We could get a 4th with Wemby or Scoot. I prefer Scoot, because I think Wemby is a tweener in the NBA and will have a short career. Reports are that he is still growing which makes the injury concerns that more relevant.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

His frame does concern me a la Chet. He's def more filled out/fluid looking but I definitely would have injury concerns for him long term.

6. invocux

invocux Member

What makes you think Mobley's work ethic isn't as strong as his?

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Didn’t mean to make that as the deciding factor. I really don’t what kind of work ethic Mobley has. It was rumor that he had a low motor coming out of college, but who knows. I just think a bulked up Jabari and an improving 3 pointer will make him an all-star on both sides of the court. In my opinion, Jabari has superstar potential. I think Mobley will be a DPOY candidate most every year. I just don’t think his offensive game is going to improve much more than what he has already demonstrated. Just my opinion.

Boii and MystikArkitect like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

OremLK and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup good for him. Bari transitioning much more to the gives no fcks attitude has definitely given him the confidence that we saw in the 2nd half of the year that translated to the court. Keep that same energy moving forward

Boii, Os Trigonum, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

My all rookie teams are:

First team:
    Paolo Banchero
    Walker Kessler
    Jalen Williams
    Keegan Murray
    Jalen Duren

Second team:
    Ben Mathurin
    Jaden Ivey
    Jabari Smith Jr.
    Tari Eason
    AJ Griffin

xaos likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

love that video

Rocket Freak likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

His shot is just so wet when he's on. Nothing but net on so many of those. Perfect shot arc. Great mechanics.

Can't ever project this but I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes an all-time great shooter for a big man.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

he just needs to get a tiny bit better every year.

by year 5 he will be butter and should age even nicer after that. best thing a shooter can get is reps. hope he stays healthy.

Boii likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh there are couple parameters that at least gurantee you a Top 5 or Top 3 spot.

Leading in block numbers (Jaren Jackson)
    Fouling Out numbers and having 4 or 5 Fouls per game (as a Negative) (also Jaren Jackson)

Steal number
    Being on the best defensive team (Cavaliers) or at least Top 3 defensive team (that is Evan Mobley)

I think Brook Lopez is leading again, overall package.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's good that he can admit this, especially since his godawful performance was one of the main reasons the team failed.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Mobley isn’t a better ball handler than Jabari. They are two completely different players with completely different skill sets. Mobley does not take the ball coast to coast. Jabari while not a great ball handler can still push tempo and take the ball full court on a fast break. Mobley is a low post player who also hangs in the paint or short corner to get passes from Mitchell or Garland. Most of his scoring is in the paint with 409 FGA at the rim and 72% less than 10ft. He can occasionally drive from the FT line or corner 3 but his game is mainly low post and camping in the paint. He also only shot .352 from 10-15 ft.

Jabari has a crossover and 1 dribble pull up jumper in his arsenal. He can drive from the wings or elbows and play the mid and low post. And he can take the ball coast to coast although he defers to KPJ and Green on the break as he should. He shot .458 10 to 15 ft. 661 of his FGA are jumpshots. 2 different players. They are both good in their own game and Smith is growing into his own. Aint no reason to be pessimistic and grass is greener. Plus We just saw Mobley not impactful in the playoffs lol

Boii, BonziWellsGOAT and highpost1388 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He really should not make these kinds of posts.

Immature.

19. BonziWellsGOAT

I get coming off 3 bad seasons is rough but the amount of pessimism on the board is crazy. Just contextless b****ing about our young players. If it continues now that there is a real coach and direction then I understand but to look at the sh*tshow of a coaching staff and the directionless nature of the team and just completely dismiss a rookie who showed promise is dumb to say the least

Stephen_A likes this.
  20. MystikArkitect

No. It's nice to have a player who seems to care about winning.

Boii likes this.