1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Glad to see you're walking back most of it. If you're sticking to just "he's a bad passer and mostly an off ball shooter who can't handle the ball at 19" you've learned a valuable lesson.

2. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I'm not sure why these bums can't understand this, so I'll try to spell it out.

Which one of these sounds normal, and which one sounds utterly pathetic?

A: A young player on your favorite team plays a great game, showing signs of his potential future. You go online to celebrate with fellow fans about how wonderful he played and how this could be a great sign for his future and the future of the franchise.

B: A young player on your favorite team plays poorly, showing why you can't trust rookies to compete for titles in the NBA. You go online to celebrate with fellow fans about how awful he is and how everyone who thought he was good is stupid.

A is completely normal and probably the point of a forum dedicated to your favorite team. B is completely unhinged and probably should be evaluated by a professional psychologist.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

At the point Jabari will have to live and die by his 3's and also live and die by his teamates getting him in spots to hit 3's.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine Harden coming in and helping him unlock the unblockable step back.

AroundTheWorld and highpost1388 like this.
  5. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

Or just getting him clean looks in a defined role. Harden had PJ Tucker looking like a sniper and D House looking like a starter on a contender on the wing lol. I would love to see Jabari play with him.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari gets almost 5 open 3's a game.....he just isn't hitting his open shots.

There was only one time in his career that PJ Tucker had someone creating that many open and wide open 3 point shots for him....and he was hitting nearly 40% of them.

So yeah, just like so many weird narratives this season, they fall apart when faced with the most basic scrutiny.

MrButtocks likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C: hangout bois

You go and have a life, celebrate with your friends and avoid talking about basketball and when you talk you keep it simple and cheerful.

Learn from @Jontro and watch ur movies in a dark attic.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I been saying all along an actual pg and a competent coach will make Smith shine.

Kpj stans retort Smith just sucks cause he whiffs.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...g-in-houston-jalen-williams-efficient-in-okc/

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Why would I want him to have a bad game?

The joke obviously went over your head.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Can't wait to see what he can do when he bulks up a bit. There were multiple plays tonight where he clearly was just outmuscled under the basket. He'll get a lot more free throw attempts & be able to finish through contact better once he has more strength. What I liked was that he was in there banging and trying. Not every player has the willingness to get in there and go for it, and it bodes well for his future.

13. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

For someone who swears they don't care about the eye test as much as metrics, I'd love to see a source on the 5 open 3s per game.

The one time PJ has a shot creator like James Harden... My guy, he has him again and he's dropping 0 points now and again lol.

How many times has Jabari played with a shot creator on James Harden's level at the prime of his career to prove he's not a shooter?

Oh right, you're talking out of your ass like always and can't figure out why no one takes you seriously when every ounce of bullshit you spew falls apart without scrutiny from anyone because it's that brainless. Get a life and stop hating on teenagers on the internet. Biggest fraud on this site.

14. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

For someone who swears they don't care about the eye test as much as metrics, I'd love to see a source on the 5 open 3s per game.

The one time PJ has a shot creator like James Harden... My guy, he has him again and he's dropping 0 points now and again lol.

How many times has Jabari played with a shot creator on James Harden's level at the prime of his career to prove he's not a shooter?

Oh right, you're talking out of your ass like always and can't figure out why no one takes you seriously when every ounce of bullshit you spew falls apart without scrutiny from anyone because it's that brainless. Get a life and stop hating on teenagers on the internet. Biggest fraud on this site.
    I both agree an elite PG (and experience, strength, etc) will make Bari shine, but I also love KPJ. He's just not in his ideal role and could also benefit from said PG.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haliburton would be the next Harden without the high usage.

highpost1388 likes this.
  16. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I really like Haliburton. Every time I watch him I dream of him being the last piece to our rebuild even though I know the Pacers would never let it happen.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a really dodgy source.....NBA.com. Wonder if it's reputable.

Jabari Smith takes 3.0 open 3's a game and 1.6 wide open 3's a game.....but he's only hitting 30.4% of them on the season.

So he's getting the shots created for him, he's just not producing, but feel free to make excuses if it makes you feel better about it.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

37% on 4 3PA per game high water mark as a Rocket for PJ is a sniper? Jabari will be fine no matter who is passing the ball to him. The onus is on Jabari to make those wide open shots as it is for every other player on the team.

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am guessing the 1.6 fits into the 3.0 since he is only averaging 5 attempts per game.

20. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

It was hyperbolic. It's when you exaggerate a little to make a point.

To speak more plainly, PJ Tucker is not shooting 37% from 3 if he doesn't have someone creating for him. He's amazing on defense, has a high motor, and can knock down shots at a respectable rate when the looks are clean. That's PJ Tucker at 30 years old.

I think Jabari could be all of those things... at 21 years old. By 30, the sky is the limit for this kid. Thus, writing him off as a teenager given the current situation (inexperienced fill-in PG, tanking team, no real offensive cohesion, etc) is the most asinine level of logic used. Should he be making open shots, sure! I would like for him to. The list of teenagers who came into the league and didn't have immediate shooting struggles is quite short though, I'm guessing. To avoid hyperbole, I'll just ask if you know of many examples of players with his size and defense who came into the league and shot the ball with high efficiency as a teenager. I wouldn't mind learning something today.

AroundTheWorld and peleincubus like this.