1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

So did we add this for Jabari? @D-rock ?

2. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

What I love about Jabari being drafted by the Rockets is that he won't be the go-to guy. Jalen Green will have the ball in his hands most of the time and Jabari can focus on doing what he does best, which is play great defense and hit open shots. Having a big who can shoot like him will help spread the floor and keep opposing defenses honest so Green can do his thing.

Possum, Rudyc281 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

we have a very young team , but are in a good spot to have a very professional mindset .

kpj is a question mark , but green , sengun , Tate , and Jabari all seem like consistent guys to me ; in that they can be told what their job is .. focus on it , and do it .

but with Jabari in the fold , I believe Silas can develop a system for those 5 guys and they can build . We also have broader themes of course , and many more prospects to work in.

if we deal Tate (which I don’t want to do) it will be because we have Eason who we believe can step into that role . Tate’s leadership is vital to the team right now imo . Kpj can really step up here too .

Sengun and green have rare maturity for rookies . I think Jabari is equal to them .

his shooting is special . his defense could be off the charts .

huge 3 or big 4 . Trevor ariza / Robert horry but I see more power potential. I compared him to Patrick Patterson. He’s on another level , but if you look at rookie Patrick highlights that’s the type of player I think he can already be (but 3 point range) at a much younger age .

His perimeter D will be tested early on and he will have to live through a year in which he is treated unfairly by refs .

I’m eager to see what his killer instinct looks like and how locked in he can be on the same page as the rest of the team .

Individual and team .

Him / sengun / Tate / Eason / garuba is a really nice young frontcourt . You’ve got kpj / green / Christopher / nix / ty at guards . And garrison as a shooter and effort guy off the bench .

Gordon a consummate professional as well .lets see what we can get for him .

secret best hope is working with John wall on a buyout . If kyrie is willing to give up 30 mil , can John wall give up 15-20 ?

buyout for 20 and he signs somewhere for 6-8 ?

Drift Monkey and roslolian like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Jabari is also a guy I'd like Hakeem to work with on defense. He's got a lot of potential and learning from one of the all-time best will only make him better.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Amen brother!!!

Push our chips to middle of table and trade for Myles Turner or better yet, Chet Holmgren, and to hell with the tank.

Let other teams sweat about Wembanyana-Henderson sweepstakes.

Playing entire season to lose is a b!tch.

It's another story if we organically get there and switch gears after ASB. But until then, bring back Rockets ball baybee!

joshuaao, ElPigto, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good lord!!!

Bari going to FEAST on the open C&S.

Drift Monkey, Rudyc281 and Reeko like this.
  7. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

So @Clutch @Nook @D-rock what type of dumb take is this?????????????????????????????

“I have no idea what Houston’s doing, what their direction is, where they’re going, how they’re going to get better anytime soon. I feel like Jabari Smith may get lost there sooner rather than later”

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

nobody had ever heard of Mark Zinno before and now you have. Mission accomplished on his end. Ignore junk takes, don’t share them.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith actually helps to give them direction. If we would have taken Paolo, We would have really had to put in a lot of work to shore ourselves up defensively. I wanted Paolo and think he has a higher ceiling but Smith speeds up our defensive fortification and gives more balance. As long as Green and Sengun are the offensive studs we think they are, it will balance well.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I thought Jabari was a lock for the top 2 and did so little reading on him. After catching up the last few days, wow, super impressed with this guy. Clutch was spot on.

Fullcourt, Drift Monkey, Easy and 2 others like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

There is no telling what Jabari can become. He's barely 19, and he's already an elite shooter, with outstanding defensive skills and incredible drive/work ethic. At worst he'll be a very good 3/D player than can score 25-30 pts on a given night. At best, he could become an All-Star, lead the league in scoring and help us win a championship.

I like his moxie and mentality a lot. I believe he and his draft classmates are going to bring a little extra toughness and tenacity to our team. Can't wait!!!

12. csc177

csc177 Member

Wait till he starts working with the Dream and incorporates that footwork into his game.

Drift Monkey and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Just someone who doesnt follow the Rockets so shouldnt be speaking on them... stupid take

cmoak1982, Drift Monkey and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

The season needs to start man i really really really want to see Jabari.

Drift Monkey, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not sure if posted but could be 6’11 sheesh

And he’s cousins with kwame Brown

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not a hopeless homer with this Rockets ownership and front office, I have some real concerns. Having said that, what the hell does this guy want?

The Rockets have been rebuilding for two years and have added Green, Smith, Sengun, Eason and a few other possible long possible role players.

Rudyc281, jiggyfly, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

He may well end up being right around 7’0”. He is tall enough that it doesn’t matter to me. I wish his wingspan was longer but he is physically long and big enough to do just about anything he wants on a basketball court.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari is deadly on open shots but the dude scored mosr of his pts on contested shots. He was Auburn's no 1 option by far and almost always had a hand on his face. I think he is gonna surprise a lot of people who were critical of him.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Cmon, all those reports and available tape showed KD already had alright handles and a good repertoire of post moves (hooks, up&under, shimmies, spins, turnarounds) he utilized in most games.

I've watched pretty much all game summaries of Jabari and he does literally nothing outside of contested jumpshots and 1-2 drives per game (sometimes none), zero post-moves.

No one is saying Jabari sucks, but you guys are really understating how one-dimensional on offense he is atm and how much more far ahead these comparisons were during their respective college days.

jiggyfly and KingSamJack like this.