1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets would be wise to try to trade him this offseason while he has some level of value left. This dude is so clearly a bust. He does nothing well, even the one thing he was drafted to do well. lmfao.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where does this “lacking confidence” **** come from?

Doesn’t lack confidence in his sh`t talking or getting on his teammates but he lacks confidence in his shooting?

And for the love of basketball, stop blaming Silas because this dude can’t hit a WIDE OPEN shot.

Didn’t he get into it with Green once at the beginning of the season? Maybe I’m misremembering.
    Always barking at Alperen.

Can you imagine this dude talking **** to you (teammate or opponent) and he’s one of the worst players on the team/in the league?

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jabari gives me arrogant vibes and is mouthy. Those 2 traits will bring him down alone. I also don't see the work ethic.

I made it clear on here that I did not want him pre-draft. For this upcoming draft I will keep hearing the same idiots prioritize 3 point colleges shooters as the staple stat.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Didn't Silas blame Alpi after the game (whom he benched for the last 17 minutes of the game), while praising Jabari's defense?

Didn't Jabari claim before the season that he wanted to always guard the opposing team's best player, 1-5, and make the all-defense team?

If Jabari's assignment is to "guard the opposing team's best player", why do opposing players so often go off for career highs against us?

#5384 AroundTheWorld, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    ilovehtownbb and Yung-T like this.
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

brutal

looks like we drafted the wrong Auburn guy

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm actually surprised Mathurin is that low considering he's playing along side an elite pg. I thought he was having a decent rookie year?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

KPJ's 3pt shooting dropped 3% from last season. And he's not a rookie or sophomore.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know what TPA is but i do know it's the kind of thing that requires a cover sheet

napalm06 likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is funny. I saw 5 mins of Kessler play and said he was good but caught heat because he only scored single digits for that game.

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

People are dumb

I don't wanna do what rockets twitter does

And what do you mean ? Green sfter January is good ??

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His rookie year Green's second half splits are like 19 ppg on 59% ts%.

Jabari so far is like 12 ppg on 47% ts in his second half of the season so far. Green had a dramatic jump.

And this season Green is struggling... And still is the second highest rated offensive player in terms of offensive rating amongst our rotation guys behind Sengun. Jabari is struggling with no where near the defensive attention that Green draws. It would be a lot more excusable for Smith to struggle if defenses concentrated on him and he scored 60% of his makes self created like Green.

ilovehtownbb and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pretty simple, "total points added".

https://nbamath.com/tpa-model/

And by the way, even in 2021, when Sengun was a rookie and barely got any minutes, he was doing more with his minutes than most other rookies - basically on par with Evan Mobley, except Mobley got a lot more minutes:

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's his defense that drops him so much, he's pretty much a traffic cone.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I really don't see what is supposed to be so "special" about Mathurin. He is a decent offensive player, but will never be more than a role player.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a lot to like if he ever manages to start hitting his shots at an acceptable rate. He's a highly athletic wing that draws contact and gets to the FT line a lot which is the ONLY reason why his TS% isn't in the dumpster right now.

The major knocks on him are defense and streaky rather than good shooting but those are things that could in theory come along as he develops if he develops.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fans are on Bari Island.

Bari owns his own island.

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Jabari is really struggling agree

He may have hit a wall. At this point it should be OK to reduce his mins and give more opportunity to usman

If usman fouls out so Be it ... but at least he can hit an open shot

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I’m really tired of this guy yelling at his teammates when he messes up. Entitled as it gets.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The same issues you constantly harp on with Jalen Green. Both have incredible upsides, let’s hope Jalen makes a jump in 3 pt consistency and defense. That is why you continue to invest in guys like Green that has more upside than most as he matures and puts on more muscle.