1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

i really don't understand y Rockets draft the way they do and just not actually prioritize their development.
    Last season
    Green gets a sht ton of mins but has to play alongside a guard who is just learning pg and diva C. Wood.
    Sengun gets no mins
    JC gets sporadic mins
    Garuba mia

This season
    Tyty can't even get on the court while nix gets heavy mins
    Tari mins are uneven as fk
    JC and Garuba is glued to the bench and get random mins depending on silas's mood.
    Sengun gets mins and more priority after injuries occur
    Green is still playing without a pg
    Smith is like 4th/5th option on the starting line up.

Only thing that's been consistent is Nix getting mins, since apparently he's also a first round talent

BigShasta and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

A guy not prioritized in this offense is not going to shoot it as much as guys who are. Jabari can shoot over anyone whenever he wants. Jabari isn't the problem. Same thing happened with Jalen last year when Cade was getting 20+ shots a game and Jalen couldn't sniff that because Christian Wood and KPj were taking every shot.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Wanna guess how many times Jalen Green had 15 or more shots at this point of last season? Go ahead. Guess. I'll give you a minute.

Did you guess? Ok.

NINE.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And this appears to be the methodology.
    They let their 'feature' rookie just run around on the court for the first two thirds of the season.
    Post all-star break they call plays for them.

Having said that, it remains to be seen what Jabari will be able to create.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somehow people say this as if it's a negative. I see it just the opposite. I think this is exactly why we should not give up on him. If something is your strength, you don't just lose it and never get it back. It's not like he had been bad at shooting his whole life and his current struggle confirmed it.

It's much more likely to regain what you have been doing well than to begin doing well something you have never been good at.

YOLO likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Spoonfed? Unlikely. Kpj can't spoon feed folks that why the Bruno lob threat never took off.

If kpj could spoon feed folks less folks would b calling for him to b moved to the bench

7. MystikArkitect

It's definitely weird. Jalen and Jabari are being brought along very similarly and the backlash against them (from both national folk and the fanbase) has been eerily similar. I remember being frustrated last year seeing Cade's shot #s vs Green's. Didn't think they were as similar as they were.

Stranger still is their treatment of the "mutant" draft picks drafted outside of the lottery. Every single one has ended up in the doghouse, getting significant minutes for stints and then disappearing entirely for weeks at a time. The only one that hasn't had this fate is Tari. Then you have these weirdo dudes that shouldn't be on an NBA roster getting significant run and shots. Bruno, KPj, Mathews, Nix....I don't get it.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Jabari needs a dose of tough love - "start hitting, or start sitting"

DD

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Facts

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I say we hold out until Honcho is back to get him better shots.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So much of the NBA is opportunity.
    It looks like a development strategy focussed on giving consistent opportunity for a stretch to the guys who may or may not end up as role players.

See what they have, churn, repeat later

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really the same, you had dozens more Green threads by this time last year.

Roomba likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol the season is almost over, sitting him now is not moving anything but sure.

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Jabari’s defense doesn’t look the same. He is letting people blow by him and not bodying people inside the paint. Not guarding the three as closely and hands are often down on the perimeter. The intensity hasn’t been the same as earlier in the season.

15. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Our coaches seem to possess the magical ability make players care less about the game. Jalen was fiery last year? Now this year he looks bored. Jabari started off intense? Now he's apathetic. This level of incompetence permeates throughout the whole organization and makes it difficult to watch. I'm perhaps not the most patient of people, but neither do I think I'm a knee-jerk sort of guy. I believe a change is sorely needed so that our young players can be developed properly.

AroundTheWorld and cheke64 like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He has 30-35% more minutes than any of the 19 year olds playing. I bet sometimes he is just gassed out. At least he as been shooting better a bit recently.

As a side note. Jabari is shooting better from 3 now than Paolo B. Better from the free throw line. More rebounds and block shots than Paolo in less minutes at a younger age. Also less turnovers per game. He also has a way higher abilty on the defensive end as he mature.

Green also has more minutes than any of the other 20 year olds.

17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Both megabusts, the second coming of Markelle Fultz and Anthony Bennett, trade them both to give KPJ and Garuba more minutes

peleincubus likes this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Paola also has more offensive game that just chucking 3's. Jabari has nothing else and he's not good at shooting 3's.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I watched the Toronto game and they shoot kn front of his face with his arms down, gets lazy stuck under screens, and is immensely weak paint defense. Siakam was posting him up and doing Hakeem moves.

Stephen_A and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's hard to make any assessment of him now. Confidence is completely shot. He needs an offseason and a new coaching staff, and honestly the minutes he's getting out there aren't even doing him much good. It's like a baseball player stuck in the worst rut, still flailing at pitches in the dirt. Until he can regroup mentally those extra AB's aren't doing him any good.