1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Folks, he outplayed Paolo tonight!

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think if Jabari is a DPOY guy, which I think he's flashed a lot of, that would be well worth the pick.

I do think though people are being way too hard on him. Even his shooting. I mean last year Sengun wasn't hitting half the shots he is hitting now. He was a low post player, sure, but he wasn't really doing this. He improved on his low post by A LOT thanks probably to just experience, not being a rookie anymore, used to the NBA speed, lots of factors.

Sengun is actually a great argument against the "Why can't he shoot when we drafted him to shoot?" well people should go back and look at Sengun's post up stats, he was averaging .93 ppp on those possessions, which isn't good, it meant a Sengun low post possession last year was a bad possession. Which reminds me he still has a lot of work to get to Jokic's level but now he's over the 1.0 mark which means a low post Alpe possession is good, we get good stuff out of it.

He didn't come into the NBA as this low post beast, he's still working on becoming that.

3. monster

monster Member

Please don’t panic on Jabari yet. Rookie season on the worst team in the nba. He gets the ball out in bad positions much of the time….there’s just no rhythm yet. Once our PG/coach/rookieshittiness resolves itself, he’s going to be a good player. His height, stroke and defense are enough to give him a 12yr career. I think expect he’ll be an all-star by yr 4-5

4. MystikArkitect

Jabari has had 15 or more shots exactly 6 times this season. 17,13,21,24 27,12 were the outputs in those games for an average of exactly 19.0 ppg.

For reference Ben Mathurin has shot 15 or more times in 20 games.

Banchero? 26 times.

Porter. 25 times.

Green. 42 times.

Lol.

NewAge likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

JJ and Garland speaking on player growth. Houston's young guys get mentioned.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don’t think that is totally out of the question. Klay came into the league 2 years older than Smith. I can’t imagine in 2 years that Smith wouldn’t at least be as good rookie Klay(who by the way also couldn’t dribble for crap and had little ability to create off the dribble). It’s not like Klay came into the league killing it. His stat lines that first year aren’t all that dissimilar to Jabari’s now. Jabari misses one more 3pt shot per contest more than Rookie Klay but otherwise statistically they are within decimal places of each other.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think that’s Silas’ problem. He doesn’t have any plays designed to get people easy shots within a system. Every easy shot in the current system is earned from someone breaking a defense down one on one and thus we get few easy shots. What is shocking is he hasn’t changed his approach despite coming close to infamy as the only team in NBA history to be the worst team in the league 3 years in a row.

arno_ed likes this.
  8. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Not sure what you are trying to infer. A guy who can't create his own shot is not going to shoot it as much as the players you mentioned.

Yung-T, Corrosion and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The reason is because Jabari can't create his own shot.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He hasn't just been "inconsistent", he's been downright bad all season long as a shooter.

He's shot 30% from 3 for a 50 game stretch and below 40% from the floor over the same period.

The vast majority of his shots from 3 are open / wide open with many uncontested.

He's literally shooting worse from three Sengun's .313 who's not known as a shooter at all.

Jabari's strength was supposed to be his shooting & he's been spoon fed 11 FGA a night.

I can't take "He's only 19" as an excuse for missing open / wide open shots.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The way Harden got snubbed, league could give him a free pass on All Star Weekend.

All Star has become a bit of a lottery itself too, he might not make it even with big numbers.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is tall but his game isn't good looking or very fluid.

He is like a robot chucking up tons of shots.

He provides good rebounding and okay defense.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They don't know who Klay is.

Klay can explode to 60 pts in 3 quarters. 37 points in 1 Quarter... doubt Bari could ever shoot that much and make it.

beardsanity713 and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You can call it an excuse if you like, but the fact remains that the top shooting teams in the NBA are the oldest and the worst are often the youngest. Younger players shoot worst. 19 year olds are inefficient. The Rockets offense generates poor 3pt shots for all the roster.

The point is there's a clear reason why he's shooting poorly that's not related to his skill level.

The fact that he's 19 is the biggest component of the assessment so I don't understand how it can be swept under the rug by calling it an excuse.

Corrosion and Phillyrocket like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Normally I wouldn't disagree .... but normally those shooting issues by young players are related to shot selection - That's NOT the case here.

Sorry man, the stats don't back up your position. They get a large percentage of open / wide open shots from 3.
    In recent weeks teams haven't even been running them off the line they have been so bad - they have invited them to shoot from deep as a team and they have hit right at 25% as a team.
    Why the whole team appears to be struggling to knock down open shots is beyond me .... but the fact is they are missing open looks at a very high rate.

No defender within 6 feet - that's wide open:

player / frequency percentage / made-missed / shooting percentage
    Players Shooting Dashboard Closest Defender +10 | Stats | NBA.com

Nix - 46% - 20/64 - 31.3%%
    Tyty - 34.8% - 3/24 - 12.5%
    EG - 32.5% - 53/151 - 35.1%
    Martin jr - 23.1% - 23/98 - 32.7%
    Tari - 21.2% - 32/84 - 38.1% Rookie knocking them down.
    Garuba- 20.6% - 11/22 - 50%
    Gary Bird - 18.2% - 13/31 - 41.9%
    Christopher - 17.6% - 5/22 - 22.7%
    Tate - 15.5% - 15/33 - 33.3%
    Green - 14.8% - 45/126 - 35.7%
    Smith - 14% - 25/74 - 33.8%

No Defender within 4 feet - That's Open:

Gary Bird - 35.9% - 17/61 - 27.9%
    Jabari - 31.4% - 49/166 - 29.5%
    Green - 20.2% - 52/172 - 30.2%
    Nix - 18.0% - 7/25 - 28.0%
    EG - 16.8% - 28/78 - 35.9%
    Tyty - 13.0% - 2/9 - 22.2%

Nix gets 64% of his 3 point shots open / wide open (Man Nix sucks).
    Gary Bird 54.1%
    EG 49.3%
    Tyty 47.8%
    Jabari 45.4%.
    Green 35%

These are essentially uncontested shots, the first column in each grouping is the frequency percentage of their total shots, the 3rd column is the players shooting percentage on those shots.

Nix is getting 64% of his total shots mildly contested at most .... Jabari getting 45.4% of his shots similarly.
    (How bad is Nix? ffs).

I don't buy that, I think it has to do with the adjustment to NBA range.

He's only 19 .... I get it.

He is playing poorly.

And some are pointing to his age as "the reason" for his poor play. That by definition is making excuses.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why did you leave Sengun out?

Ankara1923 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It is a legitimate excuse, that’s the point. Writing off a 19 year old who is shooting poorly in his rookie season is plain stupid. Kobe, Giannis, Klay and the list goes on and on of who was disappointing as a rookie and most were older than JaBari. Just like Jalen, he has shown flashes of what he can become. With Jabari it’s been mostly on the defensive end of the ball, which fans with poor bbiq dismiss.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only 6% of Sengun's shots come in those scenario's .... and he's shooting .333 in those situations.

Sample sized was inconsequential.

snowconeman22 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't believe that he shouldn't be written off - But it is an excuse, legit or otherwise.

My point was what was Expected Vs Reality and that reality is disappointing if not somewhat alarming.

I was simply pointing out the facts and statistics and am of the opinion that it is at least concerning that his shooting has been abysmal for what amounts to the entire season to this point - particularly when his shooting is why he was drafted where he was to begin with.
    We pretty much expected a 40% plus shooter in the open / wide open situations listed above and we're getting 29.5% and 33.8% respectively.

If he was taking a large volume of highly contested shots / well defended shots, I could understand and expect the struggles and for the record he is shooting .273 from 3 when the defender is closer than 4 feet on a total of 22 attempts.

I do expect him to eventually figure it out and improve on the current numbers .... I believe the issue is the increased distance between NCAA / NBA 3 point distance and he just hasn't made the adjustment mainly because this has been a season long issue - he started the season 20/70 in his first 12 games, that's .285 in his last 12 games he's 9/47 which is .191 (Rookie Wall?)

The vast majority of his 3 point attempts come from the wings which are 23f-9i which is an additional 3 feet beyond the NCAA 3 point line of 20-9 where he shot 42% in college.

Sure, it's expected that younger players have a lower shooting percentage than veterans but again, the main reason for that is shot selection - Young players tend to take poor shots much more often. That's not the case here, we're talking about very good shots on average - open to lightly contested.

#4919 Corrosion, Feb 4, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My apologies for misinterpreting your intent. In the end, his age and experience is a factor. 5 of the bottom 10 teams in regards to shooting % are very young. I, too, am disappointed in his shooting, but I am not alarmed and really attribute it to a lack of confidence and adjustment to the speed and athleticism of the NBA. Young players develop at different paces. Curry wasn’t effective for several years. We do get a lot of open 3’s as a team and we shoot them pathetically.

I do not give Silas credit for the creation of this 3 pt space, since no one seems to be able to shoot, opposing teams are packing the paint and causing a huge amount of TO’s, knowing that Jalen and KPJ are going to force their drives. Silas should have adjusted his offense when it was so apparent that 3 point shooting is a weakness. With a distributor like Sengun, KJM and Tari have demonstrating that more movement and cutting to the bucket is more effective than the iso crap. Silas could have made this change early in the year, but he is a fit the players into his system kind of guy, instead of fit the system to your players coach.

AroundTheWorld likes this.