1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, I refused to believe that a good shooter all his life would suddenly become a bad shooter as a pro. Now he has got back his confidence. We can pretty much assume that his floor is a 6'11 3&D guy. If he ever develops anything on top of that, he can be a star.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't seem to be affected by the strength of the opponent, which is a good sign. If he's shooting well, it doesn't matter who's guarding him. Kind of like KD in that regard.

Shaping up to be a hell of a player.

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol really? Those are the examples from your post about how defense is important, and literally none of those players play defense.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not about who plays defense, it's about what type of player wins a championship. You misread the post.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Starting to come around! Get this guy more FGAs please.

Little Bit and Bo6 like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Great game from Smith who is turning it around even quicker than I anticipated. He had several good drives to the basket too.

He was getting roasted in the post by one of those nameless Spurs who was even shorter than him. Going to take some time to put on more muscle.

It’s always fascinating to me how much of a struggle our offense is to get open shots. Seems like every other team uses screens and picks so much better. If we had a competent PG and an offense that wasn’t iso 1 on 5 Jabari could get much better shots.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Was just about 2 weeks ago when O'Connor said Jabari is like Cam Reddish...lol. Bullish on Jabari my ass. Now that his dumbass prediction is obviously wrong, he's trying to backtrack and a create a narrative that he was on the Jabari train all along.

mario_v, apollo33, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Jabari was 9/13 and 4/7 from 3.

Jalen was 5/17 and 2/3 from 3.

KPj was 5/16 and 0/4 from 3.

You can't establish a good team culture when inefficient chuckers are rewarded with more shots and more touches and higher efficiency players like Sengun and Jabari are punished for actually producing. Nix turns it over and air balls it and is played 18 minutes. Josh gets 4 and only because Silas threw in the towel.

Next game run a game plan for Jabari and Sengun. Green/KPj can sit there and watch and get 10-12 shots while Sengun and Jabari get 20. Christopher should try and man the second unit and Twix can watch. I get that we're learning or whatever but Jalen/KPjs lackadaisical approach to the offense is getting on my last nerves. Jabari over here already producing 20 games into his rookie year while LA Fitness James Harden gets a million touches and runs the offense into the ground.

11. xaos

xaos Member

I know this might seem crazy to some people but,...

In this particular draft I'd still draft Smith 1st overall.

I had Smith 1st and Banchero/Ivey 2a and 2b.

Banchero has really surprised me. I thought he would start playing like he is today around year 3.

Both Banchero and Smith can be core pieces to a future championship, but I really love the strengths of Jabari.

Boii, Little Bit, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Last 9

15.8 points on 66.2 TS%

Pretty damn good

MrButtocks, conquistador#11 and YOLO like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with anything, and so does the player we are talking about?

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So do we care if this happened in a blowout?

Just trying to see where we are at because the goalpost are always moving.

Seriously, he looks a lot more comfortable taking that shot these days, but it looks like he has slowed down his release considerably.

Next phase is being able to shoot consistently over the contest.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It does not seem crazy, it is crazy Banchero does so much more that contributes to winning and his defense has been good so far.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is it obviously wrong?

Their shooting stats are very similar, look at what he did the 1st 50 games in Atlanta.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Shooters shoot. I think Jabari is turning into the exact player we had hoped for

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What did cam reddit shoot from 3 in his first season at Atlanta

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Banchero's team won't win much until they find 2 Jalen Brunsons that fit the bill.

And when they stop playing 3-4 bigs in the same lineups.

It is a fun experiment but outside of that not reasonable.

20. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Decent handles for a PF...once he becomes a consistent 3point threat; he'll be able to pump fake and take to the hole (seen some flashes of this). He has the mindset and the skills to become an all-star type of player in this league. Really wish Jabari and Green or KPJ would run the pick and pop.